Operation Dragnet - Sat Sept 24 - DISCUSSION THREAD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Operation Dragnet - Sat Sept 24 - DISCUSSION THREAD

This is the place for questions and discussion prior the event. SIGN UPS GO HERE

We will be altering our TaskForceRadio channel to help guests get in with us. This means that:
    • we will be able to hear guests in our channel when using TFR, - we can even talk to them like a conversation :D
    • you will not be moved into the TaskForceRadio channel, you will have to do this yourself

We will not be attempting to sign all of our guests up for TaskForceRadio. There will be some that will be interested and those we will help. But there should be ZERO pressure put on public players to use TaskForceRadio. We should all be using VON for teamwork. In this event, TFR will act more like a private net for our regular to be able to solve issues and get you an admin asap if you need one.

Get your push-to-talk key for In-Game von working so you can use both during this event. Do not use your TS push-to-talk key or your "Caps-Lock" key for in-game von.

We will organize a plan for leadership and such once the mission poll is close to completed.

Any suggestions or questions for mission selection, configuration, JIP handling? Guests protocol?
    |TG-189th| Unkl
    ArmA 3 Game Officer
    Dean of Tactical Gamer University
    189th Infantry Brigade Member
    SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
    "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Re: Operation Dragnet - Sat Sept 24 - DISCUSSION THREAD

I dunno now. I may have to change my vote. I spooled up Enemy Assault yesterday and led assaults on 3 of the 4 objectives and it was a blast. We had some new players join us who did an absolute bang up job! I stuck to mostly in-game VON but I did use the long range radio to keep in touch with CAS. I also used TFR direct to communicate micro movements while clearing buildings and such. It worked pretty well.

Great team work by everyone involved. The mission ran well and I'm kinda partial to using stock vanilla content that is compatible without the requirement for the Apex DLC (as much as I love the DLC!). It performed really well and was pretty easy to control.

If we do end up using it then we will have an admin in Zues just to help keep an eye on the jipsies and to lend a hand as needed to keep players organized. There is very little other need for Zues with this mission.

However, it works out is fine with me. I do like this mission or Pandora: The Insurgency for the ability to have random patrols. This however, may be a hindrance to organizing public players on the fly. It's hard to organize and go over the introductions with a new player when your already getting shot at! lol
    |TG-189th| Unkl
    ArmA 3 Game Officer
    "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

Since one of the primary goals of this operation is to increase our player base by drawing new people in, it seems imperative that we address these new players right off the bat, in true a way that displays our TG playstyle. There is a balance between good tactical gameplay, and getting our players into the action quickly. The easiest solution has been to just TP players to their squad. While this certainly has it's advantages, I believe that it can create a false impression of what our intent is (i.e. "Live, Die, Repeat" mentality). I think that it's very important on events like this that to consider using an effective logistics & transportation system. Either using something like MCC4 (AI transport), Zeus controlled AI, or even player controlled logistics.

Point two that I want to make, is that under these objectives (to welcome new blood), I believe that it is also important to have someone at the spawn area from our community to welcome and orient new players. This, in conjunction with effective transport, will provide a quick transition of new units into the AO. This should be somebody independent of command (so that they can focus on and help the JIP's while not having to juggle tactical decisions), but communicating closely with command to assign them to a position.

And lastly: although I'm sure this has already been thought out. Our arsenal loadouts should probably be kit specific, in order to keep everyone from being a sniper-RPG-medic.

I would love to volunteer to support this role, as the base supervisor/XO, and if possible: double down as the Sochor(arty) operator when there's no JIP's.

TL;DR version:
      We should have someone (not a C.O.) at base to help JIP's and also avoid using TP's to get them places.

ribbons_volunteer-class1.jpg
      "WARNING: Don't let me throw frags!"

Comment

Good points Shoomfie. We generally have had an admin do this task of welcoming new players and helping them get into a group, get their kit and arrange their transportation. If you want to take a turn at it we got your back. Just make sure you got an open line to an admin so you can report the inevitable team killer before we have good players disconnect.

I don't think any of these missions has a fast teleport style option for players who might be inclined to spam the respawns. Tactics don't mean much if you wanna play by endless respawns and it is not our style as you pointed out.
        |TG-189th| Unkl
        ArmA 3 Game Officer

Comment

If you have a dedicated pilot online, you can task that person with all the responsibilities of greeting the new player, getting him/her into group, briefing him/her on the mission, and transporting them to a safe location. It would be a good use of time for a transport pilot, because usually they stand around for 99% of the mission waiting for an order.

Comment

In my experience Hummel, This is not actually the case. While there is quite a bit of down time for pilots, there's a good chance they could spend 50% of there time just flying back and fourth. Of course, when there at base, they should of course welcome and assist players in orientation, but I think that there should also be someone there even during flight missions.

Unkl: I would love to volunteer my services (and my indirect fire support if available) to this task. I know that (depending on the number of admins online) things can get hectic in game, especially if you're also trying to juggle Zeus. Alternatively, we could even have a dedicated pilot, fire support crew, logistics operator, and a spare admin, all greeting and organizing the influx of people. The more the merrier right (so long as we don't forget to put boots in the field too of course. :D )

ribbons_volunteer-class1.jpg
            "WARNING: Don't let me throw frags!"

Comment

All those things I listed can be done while flying

Comment

This actually works best if you are on the ground using direct coms. It keeps the chatter away from the group actually doing the teamwork and clears up Side channel spam. It also seems more personal and you can witness any behaviors that are going to need admin intervention.

Sometimes your greeter does spool up the chopper and does the transport as well, but you risk missing someone or having the coms get spammed.

So, tips, if you are not able to use direct von by being beside the guest player "in person" then, attempt to use text in side channel before keying up the voice and destroying any squad coms that may be happening.
                |TG-189th| Unkl
                ArmA 3 Game Officer

Comment

Just some thoughts:

Pilot as greeter issue - griefer grabbing the chopper (when the Pilot is greeting) and bounding off. In my mind it's best to have the pilot where he is (on public day) to handle transport and other tasks (CAS) and to Unk's point have someone else handling the greeting and sorting of those that drop in. During a TG event (known players and known actions) then I totally agree with pilot being "briefing guy - kit out - logi and greeter" . . . . but not when we have the unknown element dropping in.

Further, have that base greeter be the "Base RTO" with direct comms (LR) into the command group, working with the field RTO - and up the chain to the XO and CO - for slotting and kitting of new team members joining the fray (Note this also considers a field RTO to help with LOGI on the field and I think is key to helping keeping things "flowing", but just MHO on that topic).

I like Shoom's idea of this person being long range ARTY support as well, adds a fun element of field command calling in long range support via LR and could be fun area fire.

Sounds like fun. I'm trying to move one "topic" for Saturday to be able to join. More on that as the week progresses. Happy to take the "Field RTO" if Shoom wants to take base RTO and greeter slot.

Sounds like it could be fun afternoon.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X