Locating Enemy Fire

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locating Enemy Fire

Can we all work together to create a uniform process for finding that one terminator AI shooting at us through multiple tree canopies and at least 2 sets of windows? Preferably without the use of thermal vision. Those of you with military experience, maybe you can share a little about how you were taught to locate threats at different ranges/terrain/etc.

Usually I just listen first to find out which direction it's coming from (North, North-East, etc). Then I look in that direction trying to find which group of pixels is holding a gun. This can take entire minutes and I'm not even firing my weapon. Surely there's a way to do this faster. It doesn't help that it's hard to tell whether your threat is firing from 100 meters or 300. It's easier to tell when they're at range because of the delay between the report of the rifle and the bullet passing by.

Any ideas?

I like the idea of a neighboring team laying down some fire to draw the enemies fire to help fix his position. Sounds easier than it is I know.
    sigpic
    |TG-1st|Grunt
    ARMA Admin (retired)
    Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Just call in the airstrike (there are no civvies in our missions, let's be honest), I'm sure Hummel, Xorilliz, and Frodo would happily oblige.

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

Hummel

You probably already know this but the 'crack' of the bullet passing you is usually heard when it has actually passed you, ie it's behind you. I've seen a lot of players turn and face the direction that hear the 'crack' from, the wrong direction. If you hear a crack behind you then generally you are facing the shooter. If it's to your right he's probably on your left, basically the opposite direction.

Obviously this only works with shots that originate from a reasonable distance, not right next to you. Plus if he's next to you I'd assume, failing awful aim, that you're already dead lol.

For distance you can count the time between sonic crack and rifle report, I haven't tested it enough to give you a formula but I will try next time I'm on.

As regards visual identification there are a few very old tricks/tips you can employ that work in both rl and in game.

Firstly it's important to understand how the human eye works and utilise that. You want to try and use your peripheral vision to scan for targets and relax your eyes, dissipate your focus. Sounds counter intuitive but you really don't want to be staring intently at given points in the distance. You don't want to be zoomed in like that visually with a narrow focus. It's like hard scoping with your eyes.

Your first visual pass of an environment should be using a very relaxed focus, turning your head/fov very slowly and trying to catch things in your peripheral vision. Peripheral vision is excellent at picking up even tiny movements at distance and will also flag anomaly's in the 'picture'. That's why you see so much out of the 'corner of your eye's, that's how the phrase came about.

If your eye does pick something up the sweep slowly back to it and begin to narrow your focus only then. The the frontal part of the eye comes into play and does it thing, magnifying a narrow field of view. If you see, engage and kill your target you need to consciously break the visual lock you have developed by relaxing your eyes and sweeping them back and forth, get out of the tunnel vision.

If you're scoping with magnified optics, particularly 4x and above another trick is to not continuously sweep. By that I mean don't move the scope laterally across large areas in a panning motion, or a full field of view/scope width at a time. Actually the full scope sweep is very common and logical, you've put your scope over an area, checked it, time to move on. It's actually more effective to move your scope a half scope's width at a time. This gives your peripheral vision withing the scope time to pick stuff up. Furthermore if a target does pop up your less likely to traverse past it, a common issue when scoping in and sweeping.

Try traversing your view laterally along contour lines in terrain ie pathways etc, think of routes the enemy might take, quite logical really (how would you move
        move). Follow the lines to hard cover and look for corners of buildings (if appropriate) to start with. Most people will choose hard cover with an easy, preferably hidden egress route as opposed to garrisoning themselves in a building for fear of getting boxed in, harder to maneuver etc.

Understanding your own physical position relative to the hard cover and concealment around you can help too. If the enemy is shooting at you it follows he has clean line of sight to a degree therefore check where your exposure is.

Hope some/any of this is useful. Good discussion!

Comment

I agree with what you said Wicks, but I think the problem is that AI don't move very much when they're shooting at you. Once they have a line of sight on you, they stay in the same position and fire one round every 1/2-1 seconds until one of you dies. And, if they're shooting through tree branches, bushes, grass, walls, houses, etc. then you probably won't find them before they kill you. My question is aimed more at what to do in that situation. I like Grunt's idea of utilizing multiple teams to find the shooter.

Comment

Well the tips for locating the shooter, including ai, work. You just have to combine them with taking proper cover and not peeking from the same position twice, which people do all the time. In fact taking fire and moving after each peek can be effective in triangulating the shooters position if he continues to shoot. You use deduction to work out when he can see you and when he can't and what his sightlines are. This in turn can eliminate whole sectors as likely positions.

In any situation where you take fire your priority is somewhat determined by proximity. It's pretty clear if it's close by or not and in that case it's a basic reaction to contact drill. Big volume of fire in that general direction then follow the steps in the drill. If it's distant you do it in reverse, you seek cover first, that's the priority. Then you take steps to locate.

As I said distance is the basic determining factor in deciding how to react to contact, to put it simply.

Comment

The other day, i cant remember who else was on the server with me, but a few of use were on, not being 100% serious. i think we all had LIMs. However, when we got into contact. it just proved how effective fire and maneuver is. whilst we weren't taking it seriously, we were able to over come all contact by raining a lead shower down onto the target area whilst others moved around and engaged from another location. So wicks is definitely right. Fire towards the contact and have other move to a new position, rinse and repeat until contact is no more. It worked well until we got into the urban environment then discovered some of us should probably have had some slightly shorter weapons to make house clearing a bit easier.

Comment

Semi-serious hat on.

Assuming your squad have taken up cover; as opposed to concealment. Your squad are "fixed in place" by enemy sniper.
                Whilst in cover, you're using sound, visual cues, and your deductive powers.You have no UAV, no thermals, no high tech gear.

Option #1
                Recon by fire. Pick a possible likely location, then fire off short bursts. Wait for report, react.

Option #2
                Everyone within the squad, picks their own spot. Using their combat optics (RCO etc), they perform their own option #1. Then relay the info, to the squad. React.

Option #3
                Pick a runner. Have him move from cover to cover, exposing himself for the team. Whilst the squad keeps vigilant eye towards the threat area. Enemy will fire at his target of opportunity, exposing his location more. React.

Option #4
                Break contact. Using overwhelming firepower towards the threat. Under the cover of smoke. Break away from your 'stuck' position, to relative safety. To reassess.

Option #5
                Divide the squad into two. Spread the angle of your fireteam. Toward likely threat area. Each fireteam, bounds from cover to cover. Whilst keeping a good line of sight towards suspected threat area. Once, enemy exposes himself. You redirect towards the location, keeping the momentum up. Closing up on the location to neutralise the threat.

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X