Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips for Effective Communication

When to use the radio

I. As a member in a squad/fire team (anyone other than a team leader)

You use the radio to relay important information to persons who are responsible for making decisions for your team. For example:
    • Contact reports
    • Enemy fire
    • Messages from other teams
    You should not use the radio for unnecessary information such as:
    • Civilians down the street
    • What you had for dinner
    • Your favorite games
    • Who's best at flying helicopters (Hummel, obviously)
    Sometimes you need to relay important information to your squad leader, but are close enough to say it directly. In these situations, it's best to do so in order to reduce radio chatter, especially in hectic fights wherein multiple people are competing for his/her attention.

Sometimes you get to an over watch position and the radio goes insane with sighting reports that are doing nothing other than clogging up the radio net. Not every sighting is immediately critical. Exercise judgement on if your report warrants stepping over all the other coms going on at the moment.

II. As a squad/fire team leader

You use the radio to inform your team of intent. Any important changes in the M.O. (modus operandi, meaning "the way one usually does things) needs to be communicated with your team. If you change movement direction, weapon status, movement pace, objective, etc. you need to let your team know. Squads on the field operate as one unit, thus everyone needs to be on the same page.

How to use the radio

The steps to transmitting and receiving messages are fairly uniform and basic, so you should try to memorize them to the point of muscle memory for the sake of simplicity and efficiency.

Transmitting a message (Directly from the Guidebook for Marines):
    1. Always listen before starting to talk so as not to create interference. Know what you are going to say before transmitting.
    2. Press the push-to-talk button. Do not start talking until the crypto keying tone ceases.
    3. Speak distinctly and in a normal tone.
    4. Release the push-to-talk button immediately after speaking.
    Regardless of whether you observe proper radio procedure while playing, these steps will ensure everyone's swift understanding and action. Overall, following these guidelines will decrease confusion and increase reaction time when emergencies occur.

Prowords
    What is a proword?

To keep voice transmissions as short and clear as possible, radio operators use procedure words (PROWORDS) to take the place of long sentences.

They do not have to be used. If being used, assume the receiver does not know these terms.

Commonly used prowords
    • BREAK: Pause or Interrupt
    • BREAK, BREAK: emergency message
    • CORRECTION: "the correct version is..."
    • I READ BACK: "Here is what you just said..."
    • I SAY AGAIN: "Here is what I just said..." (Don''t say "I Repeat", it's not a artillery or CAS call)
    • OUT: end of transmission, reply not needed.
    • OVER: end of sentence
    • ROGER: "I understand"
    • RELAY TO: "Pass this message to..."
    • SAY AGAIN: "What was that?" (Don't say "Repeat that", or "Say again my last")
    • THIS IS: "My callsign is..."
    • UNKNOWN STATION: "Whoever you are..."
    • WAIT: "Wait ..."
    • WAIT OUT : "I'll get back to you"
    • WILCO: "Will comply" (Don't say "Roger, Wilco")
    • WRONG: "Incorrect"
    Mnemonic:
    Assisting or intended to assist the memory.
    Series of letters that are easily memorised.

A.B.C.
    Accuracy,Brevity,Clarity.

K. H. T.
    Key, Hesitate, Talk.

Using this technique will prevent the possible front end clipping of the message.
    Seeing as how the procedure is: Receiver, Sender, message.
    The importance of full message from start to finish is important.
    Sometimes a reason is stated at the beginning.

S. H. R.
    Stop, hesitate, release.

Opposite of above.

K.I.S.S
    Keep it simple stupid

R.S.M.
    Receiver, Sender, Message

Protip:
    When replying to just say "ROGER", you can just say your callsign. Instead of "CHARLIE, ROGER."
    i.e.
    BRAVO: "Charlie, Bravo. Are you ready for supper? over."
    CHARLIE: "Charlie".

When performing radio checks:
    Formation Nets.
    Where tactical call-signs are used, the order of answering is in alphabetical and/or numerical sequence.
    i.e. alpha, bravo ,charlie

Unit Nets.
    On unit or sub-unit nets where there may or may not be other arms representatives attached, stations are to answer in the following order:

a. Unit elements answer in numerical and alphabetical
    sequence (for example, 11, 11A, 11B, 12 and 12A).

b. Representatives of other arms using arms indicators,
    answer in alphabetical order of arms indicators.

If a station fails to answer in proper sequence, the next station in order waits five seconds and then answers. The station which failed to answer in proper sequence must then wait until all other stations have answered and it then answers.
    A period of five seconds, for each station which failed to answer the initial call, is allocated after the last station has answered in order.
    Last edited by LowSpeedHighDrag; 11-25-2016, 07:04 PM.

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
    X