Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are we losing player interest because of forum navigation difficulties?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are we losing player interest because of forum navigation difficulties?

Greetings friends, I recently spoke to a player who has played Arma and DAYZ on and off at TG for about a year now, in my conversation with said player, they casually mentioned that they are turned off by how different and alien the forums feel now compared to last summer. This was in response to my question to them about why they do not sign up for official events.

In thinking about it, and I know this point has been brought up several times before, I realized I too am having difficulty navigating the forums since the change. Now, because I'm a TG lifer, I commit myself to at least trying figuring out how to do things on my own and in that spirit of ambition, I tried to understand what my acquaintance was experiencing.

I have so many of our site's pages bookmarked that I realized I cannot navigate the site easily without them. I know that the information I seek from this website is available to me and that it is the result of Volunteered(note the capital to emphasize understanding) time in terms of content management, I tip my cover to Aphohis, Site Administration and any/everyone else who helps maintain our site.

When I login to the site, how can I see who has posted recently since my last posting? It's not that hard to find, but is there a way to tell which subforum each post is placed in before I click on them, like in the old format? How can one easily tell if there is a new ARMA event and if that is something that they are invited too?

Life has been good to me lately, but has kept me busy so I may be dusting up an issue that has already been put to bed on forum cosmetics, but I am curious if this may be affecting our attempts as a community to encourage prospective players to join us.

Common Scenario
    Player A is happy about TGs experience and wants to know more.
    Player A is instructed to sign up on forums and join our community.
    Player A is given a a direct link to an upcoming sign up event via TS chat
    Player A is then told to "check forums for upcoming events and details."
    Player A tries to navigate the forums and is confused.
    Player A decides to occasionally check back with the TS group to see how things are going, thereby missing upcoming events posted earnestly on our ARMA forums.

I wanted to get a feel for what others have experienced and whether or not my concern is valid.

Disclaimer: This is no attempt to shed bad light on TG or the forums, merely an attempt to act on my concern for communication hurdles.

Current ARMA Development Project: No Current Project

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

We are all feeling the pain since the change. As a forum moderator I am still struggling to fix broken links since the update. I just did about 10 so far today.

One of the areas you would have encountered is in our TG ArmA Rules - Start Here thread. I've just finished fixing the table of contents oddly enough. So that should go a way in helping out our new guests. There are some links I need to update in the Player Guides and some information I need to update in the Configuration posts.

On the bigger picture, and as Apophis has discussed in the official thread regarding tracking issues since the forum updates, there is a nasty big mean old update around the corner. This means another mountain of work is about to be required when that happens. So we kinda are (and by we I mean Apo really) kinda holding on so the mountain only need be climbed once more instead of twice more.

There are some interesting features that we are looking forward to when that update comes out that should provide some nice customization and we may be able to do so by different configurations or themes for different games. We just have to wait and see.

I also just redid all of my bookmarks today. This is something you might consider asap as it makes getting around a lot easier. Bookmark your fav games, your IHS, your fav discussions. So easy.

If you notice broken links in the Arma area, please post in the CAA thread so we can knock 'em down!

You may also notice that we post our events on Twitter which also shows up really really handy on the right side of the page. There is a direct link to the sign up post. How much easier could they want it? lol

We hope the update comes soon, but in the meantime things are working well and the new editing, attachments, mentions, and more are really really better. Just takes a little working with to see what they can do.
    |TG-189th| Unkl
    ArmA 3 Game Officer
    Dean of Tactical Gamer University
    189th Infantry Brigade Member

SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN

Comment

Thank's for the response UNKL. I'll consider my concern addressed and closed.

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

Glad that works for ya. Your point is well taken and we all appreciate (and sometimes share) the root of your concern. I'm sure this discussion shall continue. I kinda miss the old colours too but, like my goatee and punk rawk sk8r shirts, all good things must change eventually.
        |TG-189th| Unkl
        ArmA 3 Game Officer
        Dean of Tactical Gamer University
        189th Infantry Brigade Member

SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN

Comment

Rock the Casbah.

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X