Game Officer's Update - Feb 2017

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game Officer's Update - Feb 2017

What a busy period it has been. I have been a little overwhelmed with projects even with possibly the finest admin team on deck ever. Please thank your admins for giving up their game time to help this place run.

In the last few months the team has been able to pick up and schedule and organize events with the help of our in-house mission developers. This has made it easier for events to happen and a sharing of the day to day tasks for which there are a LOT to keep Arma running. ArmA Admins are volunteers who get no special perks for their service to our community. In fact they are required to have Supporting Memberships as a way of demonstrating that there is no sugar Daddy paying the bills here.

Supporting Membership is not required for individuals to participate within our community. There is a lot of ways to participate and contribute that are non-monetary. However Supporting Members are absolutely required for this community to exist.

We run ArmA off a dedicated beast of a machine which is ours alone. We have mission developers with full access to a dedicated test environment, a small missions instance available upon request of Supporting Members and can spool up our Headless Client any time we need without worrying about the effects on another game's server instance. There are these forums, our TS3, our other stuff in the backend, I won't get into a full list...but there is a lot resources at our disposal. If you have not done so recently, consider if you have the bucks for a good pint of ale or the cost of a pay per view movie you can help ensure continued access to all these resources. Each and every Supporting Member deserves a thanks for helping this safe haven for mature and fun gaming to exist.

In this post I want to address some points about growth of our community which has been beyond expectations in the last few months. Welcome to all our new best friends! I will touch on some points about leadership, mission selection and design that goes along with this growth spurt. There is some effects to events we need to be aware of. Finally, I want to ensure that we are also aware of the changes coming to us from the game developer and the possible effects for custom content when the 64 bit version of the arma3.exe is released.

There is a lot to cover so I will lock this thread until I can chip away at this during this day.
    |TG-189th| Unkl
    ArmA 3 Game Officer
    Dean of Tactical Gamer University
    189th Infantry Brigade Member

SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN

With the growth of players who would like to get in game it forces a few changes to our mission selections and mission development. Once the server gets to 25 players it will attract enough to fill a 40 player mission within minutes. This puts a strain on the in-game leadership to be able to accommodate this quick influx of players and keep the teamwork to TG standards. However, this is a great problem to have isn't it?

We need more missions that are ready for this number of players. Mission devs go! Extra attention needs to be paid to ensure that they are JIP compatible and that public pilots are less likely to ruin a team approach with an ill timed fly by. It is not easy. We will be looking to expand the admin team to have more coverage throughout all time periods.

I'd like to draw your attention to the in-game real time reporting that you can do within game. If you have a problem player and are going to make a report to the Contact An Admin forum then please also type in game chat the following: !r

We can search the server logs for this text and find the exact time very easily to deal with players using their GUID, PID and IP address when you help us find it.

Events
    Events will scale up in size to accommodate more players for most events. We are going to continue to have events that are smaller in scale now and then. One of the things that can happen with growth is our regular players can itch for some really great teamwork with the ease of communication that comes with an organized event with little bumps that can go along with public players. Some events will still be small for that reason.

These events will be filled on two criteria as we have always done. The order in which you sign up will ensure first in - first up EXCEPT - that supporting members will get first priority. Your supporting member status at the time of the event post determines this. You may not acquire SM in order to jump the list.

We just want to be sure our new friends are aware of how this works. Pay attention to event posts to ensure your spot!
    64 Bit Executable
    We do expect that some mods may encounter more errors when the 64 bit executable is released. Anyone who has done any development knows you can only test so much and when you go live then more problems will reveal themselves.

We expect that we may be running a fully vanilla server for a period of time when this happens. I know I wanna play the game and don't want to spend my play time messing with mods and work around solutions. This would not be good for us as a group either.

No one knows what to expect so don't be surprised if I end up pulling the mod keys for your favourite mod when this update goes public. That is why Rudolf is working hard to get a mission ready for RHS so that we can play an event with it prior any issues that may come with the updates.
    That is the short of it...I'll turn this thread over to the discussion. I'm pretty happy with the games we have had and where we appear to be headed. This time of year is normally a growth time but I think it is the solidly great players you all are that is really attracting our new friends. Our mission devs have a lot to do with it to so please, again thank them for their contributions. They put in a lot of time for us.

Unkl
    Game Officer for TacticalGamer.com ArmA 3
    Last edited by Unkl; 02-17-2017, 05:28 AM.
    |TG-189th| Unkl
    ArmA 3 Game Officer
    Dean of Tactical Gamer University
    189th Infantry Brigade Member

SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN

Comment

Originally posted by Unkl View Post
      That is why Rudolf is working hard to get a mission ready for RHS so that we can play an event with it prior any issues that may come with the updates.
      64-bit exe has been on release candidate since last week and will likely appear on main branch tomorrow or next week (Update 1.68). I personally think the content mods will be working fine after the update but I don't know about TFAR. Seems like you'll have to keep that on hold?
      - Current ArmA Pathfinder

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Xorilliz View Post

64-bit exe has been on release candidate since last week and will likely appear on main branch tomorrow or next week (Update 1.68). I personally think the content mods will be working fine after the update but I don't know about TFAR. Seems like you'll have to keep that on hold?
        The 64 bit update requires all Arma 3 code to be recompiled this includes mods. This means every mod maker has update their mods. This also means Unkl and me need some time to get all the mods updated on the server and working again.
        TG-189ᵀᴴ ArmaXO TGU Instructor

Comment

Here is some extra info from bi on 64bit and dll's.

https://dev.arma3.com/post/oprep-64-bit-executables
          TG-189ᵀᴴ ArmaXO TGU Instructor

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...