Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JIP idea

Hello all,

Whilst we're on this awesome wave of players coming through our doors, we need to take this small window of opportunity to make the best of it. Let's all strive to maximise this chance whilst it's here. We all know the drawbacks when we don't. I ask you all to assist me, and for your own enjoyment really to help to get the most out of it.

So we're knee deep into a mission, and we start to get our much coveted influx of players. What do we do?

Scenario #1:
    Player John is leading a squad on an ongoing mission. At some point, John gets an influx of players coming into the server. His squad number is over 10 players under his command. His squad is miles away from the base, where the Join in progress/player (JIP) comes in. The mission has vehicles and helicopters at base to fast travel the JIP forward for deployment. The mission is designed so that when someone dies, he will respawn back at base.

Work a round#1:
    Player John, locks his squad. Or caps his squad to a maximum number of players in his squad. Rather than letting it grow into a size that is unmanageable. John would ideally have a Fire team leader in his squad or two. John would always move and shoot with his squad members. After all, he isn't a Company/Regimental commander. John would be too busy staying alive, and more crucially, keeping his squad members alive and pushing towards their objective.

John, either types in SideChat or Uses the best communication method to reach out to the guys who just joined the game. "Rifle Squad is now at capacity, This callsign will be Rifle 1. Form a new squad. Callsign Rifle 2. Squad leader check in when able."

The JIP guys would form a group (quickly), James stepped up. Formed his own group and named his squad 'Rifle 2'. He types in Side chat, that he named his group Rifle 2, and how many strong his current squad number is. Rifle 1 leader (John) acknowledges, and he continues his mission.
    James now the Rifle 2 leader gets his squad members kitted out. In the meantime, more players jump in the game. Before James could move out to join Rifle 1. He already had more players joined his squad. Rifle 2 is now up to capacity. James the leader of Rifle 2, locks his squad. Announces that his squad is now at capacity.
    Rifle 1, Rifle 2. is now full. Overall lead should be determined by the players themselves. Whether the leader of Rifle 1 gives the the overall command to Rifle 2 or maintains his lead is up to the leaders of the both squads. But remember, this still is not a full platoon. You guys are essentially 2 squads working towards an objective. Fundamentally, Rifle 1 is the left hand, Rifle 2 is the right hand. The head is missing, as well as the body (weapons squad).

Rifle 2, takes truck and drives to meet Rifle 1(or if lucky, a pilot joined the game) and gets flown to an HLZ determined by the Rifle 1 leader (because he has knowledge of where its safer to land).

You guys get the idea. for this particular work a round.

How many players per squad until its locked? Ideally at 8, at a stretch 12.
    Why cap/limit the number of players per squad? It allows players to be a squad leader and no squad leader should have more than what he can chew under his command.

Squad leaders are Squad leaders at all times. No one Squad leader will self promote to a Commander role. Without having the necessary number to allow that role.

The importance of max squad numbers should be stressed. When able. There is a very good reason why a Squad leader doesn't manage 24 guys or 40 guys.

Work a round#2
    A pilot is online as well as a Rifle 1 squad in the AO. A pilot supports the mission by acting as a JIP control. Pilot will hand hold the new players on what they need for the mission. As for TFAR lets them sort it out at a later time. As this addon is not a requirement.
    A pilot will communicate with the Rifle 1 squad leader. Then receives his HLZ location. A pilot does not fly in without permission of the Squad leader in the AO.

Work a round#3
    Some poor guy stays at base, micro managing new players. This job sucks.
    Last edited by LowSpeedHighDrag; 03-08-2017, 05:12 PM.

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

I like the first 2 work a rounds. I think #2 is very nice, if, and I repeat, if we have a pilot that understands how we play (that covers a lot just too tired to type it all out).

Comment

In many cases the pilot can help but is not the best person to do this because that player ends up with too much to do and it gets frustrating to return to base to find a new batch of chaos. If you have a player that can stay behind and it works best as an admin, then you don't have chaos for the 10 mins you are on a run. However, this is not always possible.

The stay behind job kinda sucks but I sometimes don't mind it. It depends on what mood I'm in.
      |TG-189th| Unkl
      ArmA 3 Game Officer
      Dean of Tactical Gamer University
      189th Infantry Brigade Member

SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN

Comment

I like to use zeus for this. If I am going to lead a jip squad. I can go and join the game. Then teleport back to base to pick up the jips and move out to the AO. That way I can help and have fun.
        TG-189ᵀᴴ ArmaXO TGU Instructor

Comment

Like I said last night, I like #1 and #2. This morning, my brain is functioning and I have some ideas that I think I can articulate. I think that as stand-alone work-a-rounds #1 and #2 are only partial ways to address the influx. Personally, I see merging them together for a better option. Which brings me to this mornings thinking.

It involves all of us as members of Tactical Gamer. Whether you are a supporting member or not, member of an in-house squad or not we should each make an effort to welcome people we recognize as "new" to the server. As veteran TG players come into the game, look around and see who is there at the arsenal or base. (DON'T BURY YOUR HEAD IN THE ARSENAL AS SOON AS YOU LOGIN. It will help with your overall situational awareness) Welcome them to the server (in direct chat or text) and make sure you get a response. Fill them in on our play style and invite them to join a team. Let them know we use TS and TFR but assure them that is not required and assure them VON is perfectly acceptable. Reach out to the leaders in the field and let them know you are at base with x number JIPs and ask how they want you to proceed. Give the leaders a heads up that some don't have TS/TFR. If you are in the field keep up with who is playing. When you see the message that a player is connecting and you don't recognize the name, reach out. Reach out to the player directly thru VON or bring the new player to the attention of the leaders, Pathfinders, or Admins. If new players aren't responding push it up the chain so that others can try to reach out.

It's take a village to raise a child. It will take all of us, being the mature playing community we are, to educate and cultivate the influx of young (and sometimes immature) players we are seeing. Let us avoid reacting to immaturity with immaturity.

Comment

i remember mentioning this like 4 years ago once, but what about a skippable scripted JIP dialog or intro? one that would tell them that this isnt the wild west and give them some basic instruction (like ask for help by text in side channel or something) or give them some info at least instead of just hoping we have someone to greet them, it only needs to be like a 5-10 second clip. it could be skippable by esc for something for regulars who dont need to see it.
            i found a script that does a pretty good job for intros and is really easy to set up. some communities have custom signs as well, i think we have a few of those though. also are we not considering using domi at all for a seeder mission?
            Yink | Vanilla Pilot | Killer of Stirling | CS GOD | Projects Team

Comment

Yink
              Domination? no. We or more accurately haven't seen that mission for a very long time. As far as your idea of a skippable script is an idea. But most all players will press space bar or esc to exit immediately. It's human nature.
              However, having certain assets locked for TG registered players (by way of UID), assets pubs can use should they wish. A no fire script at base, which prevents any projectiles or explosives from being used.
              Which are reinforced by a huge in game banner, with TS details and basic info of requirements, etc. Those are the features a certain public server of that always had over 30 players for a Domi type mission. Yes, long winded. Now...

Zeus access into all our missions would be a must also. A definite tool for this also.

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X