TGU Thursday - Informal Drop-In Training/Drills

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TGU Thursday - Informal Drop-In Training/Drills

In this thread we will let you know when Tactical Gamer University instructors are prepared to be present for some training/drills. This thread is open for discussion as well but if you have a topic that is not directly related to TGU Thursday scheduling or attendance, please consider creating another thread.

Tonight at 7pm EDT I plan on making a pot of coffee and doing some Individual Movement Techniques (IMT). Then we can go over some Fire Control stuff which is really useful for Fire Team Leaders! After that my plan is to do a quick drill on the use of suppressive fire.

Tactical Gamer University exists to help our regular players learn the same procedures to create cohesive teamwork. Even if you think you know this stuff...knowing it together and using the same procedures makes for better game play for all.

TGU Thursdays are informal and are intended to share experience and tips from each other.
    |TG-189th| Unkl
    ArmA 3 Game Officer
    Dean of Tactical Gamer University
    189th Infantry Brigade Member

SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN

TGU Thursday was a great success last night.

We covered some aspects of Convoy Operations.

- Route planning
    - Communication and check ins
    - Herring bone halts
    - exiting vehicles (trying to control what side you exit from)
    - what vehicles you might use at the front, middle and rear of your convoy
    - VIP placement within a convoy
    - speed and spacing variances
    - reaction to contact SOP's based on the overall objective of the convoy
    - the difference between "Dismount" and the "Bail Out" commands
    - maintaining 360 degree security around your vehicle
    - sector coverage based on order of march
    - use of scout vehicle in the lead position
    - staggering armed vehicles at front of convoy when ied's are not suspected to increase the firing options toward the front

It was a good refresher prior tomorrow's passworded event. Make sure we get sign ups done up today so our leader can have slots pre-assigned. If you are placed in a vehicle, learn it before the mission start tomorrow.
    |TG-189th| Unkl
    ArmA 3 Game Officer

Comment

TGU Thursday this week will be about the Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) to call in Close Air Support (CAS).

This will be of benefit for both our pilots on Saturday and our ground troops.

We will cover how to give a pilot what they need to be able to make a safe approach on a target from a direction that will give them a good view. They will need to see where the friendlies are on ground (which we will mark with smoke) and have a landmark reference to acquire the target visually as well. The pilot also needs to know what ordinance to use, what the target is....and which way is the best way to get out of the AO again.

So we will discuss what are the things you would consider to make those judgements. How to actually keep the coms to a bare minimum but get all that information to everyone that needs it.

Then we are going to clear those pilots hot and get some practice in!
      |TG-189th| Unkl
      ArmA 3 Game Officer

Comment

This sounds like another one i would like to attend, unfortunately work is going to keep me late(get hired on as First shift, but they prefer i work half first and half second so i can have the lab to myself while taking on the work of all 3 shifts...) so cliff-notes/ recording anyone?

Comment

Fireforeffect I'm thinking of you buddy. Mechanized Infantry - how is that for the subject of this Thursday night's TGU Informal Drill?

How exactly is leadership shared between the APC commander and the Squad Leader? Who has the ultimate say in what situations? What tactics can you employ in different scenarios? Why is there no one size fits all solution? What the the what does "hull down" mean anyway?

Let's discuss and then run some drills. Who is in? I'm thinking 7pm EDT but it always seems to be about 7:30-8pm before we get enough to start the drills.
          |TG-189th| Unkl
          ArmA 3 Game Officer

Comment

Unless the real world calls, I plan on being there.

Comment

I work 2nd shift but may be home today for it. I would really like to attend.

Comment

This is the night for the TGU Mechanized Infantry workshop/drill. It should start about 7pm EDT. Prior that I'll be on testing the new Assault and Defend Team vs Team mission. I hope you can join in.
                |TG-189th| Unkl
                ArmA 3 Game Officer

Comment

I would like to attend but I wont be home from work untill 8:30 PM EDT. Can I just drop in around that time?

Comment

Hey all you gunslingers and hard chargers out there! I am planning to run TGU this evening in Takistan. Come on out and check out a custom kill town built on the northern airfield and pracice some CQB. hopefully there is time to give those custom animated pop-up targets Unkl has helped me with a good run for their money. There will be ranges for knock-out bunker, break contact, react to ambush, CQB and more. Zeus is enabled so when we are tired of only sending rounds down range, we can set it up to get rounds coming back at us. Hope to see you guys there. Bring your rappel gear for when we rope in to the roof and clear the building from the top down!

Comment

Hey ArmA fans DMZ Scout has gotten a really great drill range set up on Takistan and we hope to run some of those drills tonight. Drills include:
                      • MOUT Combat
                      • Reaction To Contact - Motorized
                      • Break Contact - Infantry (Peel Maneuver)
                      • CAS/JTAC Procedures (Fixed Wing and Helicopter SOP)

This training range is virtually unlimited in what we can cover but there are specific training ranges set up for each of these drills that are ready for YOU and a TACTICAL GAMER UNIVERSITY INSTRUCTOR!

Lets shoot for a start time of 8pm but we might be going early!
                      |TG-189th| Unkl
                      ArmA 3 Game Officer

Comment

Gee it's hard to say where TGU Thursday may take place this week....we may very well take a trip to Malden but that all depends on the time of the update drop and whatnot.
                        |TG-189th| Unkl
                        ArmA 3 Game Officer

Comment

Tonight...7pm EDT I'll be on. I'd like to say I can be on later...but with the week I'm having it will be hit or miss.

You see when you buy a bike near 50 and then begin riding 20km it kinda kicks you in the butt. lol

But, we started a Mech Infantry I think just over a month ago and we only got an introduction in. Let's try some more on that tonight? I'm also open to requests and suggestions. This is a back and forth kind of training and YOU are participants not just listeners.
                          |TG-189th| Unkl
                          ArmA 3 Game Officer

Comment

I'll do my best to be around. The family has been a bit taxing lately.

Comment

In....after I ride my bike.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...