• ArmA II Mumble? feasible? desirable?

I don't know much about it.
    Please educate this dumba$$.
    Windows 7 rc (64 bit)
    Intel QuadCore 9650 3.0Ghz (Yorkfield) running at 3.6Ghz
    Nvidia GTX 285
    Creative Xfi pro gamer
    8 gig Corsair xms2 extreme DDR2 8500

Re: ArmA II Mumble? feasible? desirable?

Care to elaborate a little bit? Do you mean using Arma2 with Mumble? If yes it should generally work ok, but I'm not sure about directional audio.

Comment

No reason, we have direct VON.
      |TG|Ghost02
      TG Pathfinder

"I travel alone through the valley of the shadow of death, yet in my heart I carry no fear, for Gods hands will guide me to Truth and Honor."

Comment

The von is facocked'd in this current version. I know it will be fixed eventually. Just thinking about Mumble as a stop-gap fix until then.
        As for directional, I don't know how this would work but admittedly, if it isn't implementable, then TS is the obvious answer. I was just curious.
        Windows 7 rc (64 bit)
        Intel QuadCore 9650 3.0Ghz (Yorkfield) running at 3.6Ghz
        Nvidia GTX 285
        Creative Xfi pro gamer
        8 gig Corsair xms2 extreme DDR2 8500

Comment

AFAIK, mumble has much higher quality sound than ArmA1/2 VON, as well the latency is ridiculously low, tested this with ArmA1 VON and latency times KILL ArmA1 VON.

there was a test posted some where about the difference with ts and vent and it was very noticeable.

Comment

Mumble as a replacement of the current TG TS would definitely be worth a thought (probably not only for Arma). Mumble (or TS for that matter) as a complete replacement for Arma in-game VON is not advisable since direct talk is such an important part to Arma MP and immersion that I would not want to miss it (bad latency or not).

Comment

mumble + TS + VON = pure sexyness

Comment

Originally posted by browna3 View Post
                mumble + TS + VON = pure sexyness
                Uhh, how about pure comms clutter? :)

While Mumble is proven to be more effective than ArmA 1's VON, I don't think it'll score well on desirability since there already is a built-in Direct VON Channel in game.

Same thing I'll guess goes for ArmA 2, but I haven't received a copy of the game yet so I've yet to experience the new "facocked'd" VON.

| |

Comment

"facocked" = CTD when players use it (along with horrible scratchiness before such event).

I think BIS trying to address it before NA release, hopefully they do.

I dont know if mumble is the answer but I do know its quality and latency is unrivaled amongst the alternatives (TS, Vent, in game). Also the positional is a bonus, although sadly no occlusion like ArmA/ArmA2 has, but I think ArmA2 direct needs some major adjusting since it can barely be heard at range now, and I think bushes still completely muffle the sound like a concrete wall.

Comment

Old thread, but, with the new comms fun, figured it was worth bumping.

Mumble now has a Arma2 plugin so directional voice works in it. Have not tested it with the latest version of Mumble, but, I'd like to get some people together and try it out. ref: http://mumble.sourceforge.net/Games#Supported_Games

Mumble also has support for various types of whispers; to parent channel, linked channels, specific people, people part of specific groups, etc. ref: http://mumble.sourceforge.net/1.2.0#Whisper

I think it might be worth looking into. Also, it is open source, so if some aspiring software engineers have some time and energy, they could create their own version of the program in order to better suit Arma's needs (radio plugin, etc.). It might seem like re-inventing the wheel, but, this wheel might not break when more than 35 people use it :)

Comment

I don't like running another voip client. But I liked mumble in PR.

I'd be more inclined to wait out the arma2ts plugin update where St. Peter decends from heaven and we all get 42 virgins.
                      By the time the transition to mumble smooths out, the update will probably be out and I'd rather use it than mumble anyday.

Comment

Fair enough. Change is confusing for sure.

Still, if St. Peter is a bit stingy, we will have this as a "last resort" before we accept the problems of Arma 2 VON + TS without the plugin.

Comment

also, with mumble we dont have a server for it.....

Comment

Having ran Mumble in the past for this reason I am very inclined to wait it out. Adding on another "VOIP" server that has slightly different feature sets that TS3 (although a bit better in implementation and far worse in documentation). I personally would not want to try this again and make the community jump to another product to test ... when TS3 can be used properly to imitate the old "Channel Commander" with Whisper Lists.

TS3 is not Perfect ... Hell it feels like they stole most if not all of their "new" features from Mumble's Open Source. They Lost the core feature they had in TS2 which was why alot of people used it, and started to add in gimmick/toy features, yet cant put in a throwback feature to the old channel commander.

Mumble is not Friendly to setup server side by any stretch of imagination. If I would use any other choice descriptive words I do not think I would be a member of this community for much longer in regards to how backwards it can be to setup and run from an admin standpoint. When setup ... and when it has been developed for, Mumble can be a truly impressive TS Replacement, and Mumble in PR was a great example. With out that specialized specific mumble component for ArmA ... no, it would be just as bad and very hack/patchy until someone tried to make a Mumble-PR build specifically for ArmA ... which is what the ArmA2TS (dll Version) is aiming to accomplish.

VON is built in ... it works in "theory", since it is a client to client communication with very little in the way of configuration outside of "server quality" ... when it doesn't work based on client issues (bandwidth/latency between each client, it breaks apart superbly). Von also has Volume level issues where if you are not being heard loud enough by the codec, it will break your communication since it is thinking you were not speaking and there was background noise. When people boost their Mic pickup levels in their choice of OS, confirm that they are speaking louder than sin ... it can "work" passably.

So yeah, TS3 is backwards feature set wise.
                            Mumble is a giant pain in the ass and wouldn't be what people would want out of it out of the box.
                            And VON is spotty at best.

The best we can do at present is to work with what we have and make the best of it.
                            Von for in game command net, and partial direct use.
                            When VON is failing for direct, TS channels for group can work, but not when everyone is using it as their personal chatroom mid mission per group.
                            Whisper Lists in TS3 are the "best" alternative to channel commander and do not take much time to setup. But ... Some people have been having issues with getting Whisper Lists to actually work in some specific application/hardware setups...

All in all, this is my Opinion ... take it as you will.
                            The views expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of TacticalGamer.com or of any other TacticalGamer ArmA Administration member, reader discretion is advised.

Comment

So you are saying go back to Arma 2 release comms SOP? Sounds good.
                              |TG|Ghost02
                              TG Pathfinder

"I travel alone through the valley of the shadow of death, yet in my heart I carry no fear, for Gods hands will guide me to Truth and Honor."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X