Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HOTMACHINA's Tweaktacular FPS thread. (Nvidia)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HOTMACHINA's Tweaktacular FPS thread. (Nvidia)

After many many long days slaving over a hot graphics card I have what I believe to be the most tweaked ARMA 2 settings for Nvida cards, If anyone has other details to add then please post below and I will retroactively amend this post.

This solutions requires a mixture of system changes and Mods, if you are unable to get a mod working post below and I will see if I can help.

I am not going into the reasoning of each step as it can be complex, rather I am just presenting a step by step guide to be followed:

STEP 1:

Install latest beta drivers.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7_wi...1.03_beta.html

This is for 64bit OS's , you need to choose the right platform and device.

Reboot.

STEP 2:

Right click desktop and choose "Nvidia Control Panel"

Goto program settings > Select ARMA 2

Set the following:

Maximum Pre Render frames 8
    Multi GPU = Single

**SNIP 1LONGTIME** (This information is now legacy as ARMA2 does not support OpenGL)

Texture filtering = Performance
    Threaded optimization = Off
    Triple Buffering = On
    Vertical Sync = Off

Press Apply

STEP 3:

Download this:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=7549

Plant Mod, install using standard method given in README.

STEP 4:

Download this:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=5864

FPS Mod, install using standard method given in README.

Step 5:

Launch ARMA

Go to settings and set

Shadows = "VERY HIGH"
    Memory = "High"

**SNIP 1LONGTIME** (For newer video cards with more than 512MB the setting should be DEFAULT)

Post Processing = "OFF" (Unless you like the vomit inducing motion blur effect)

Everything else as default.

STEP 6:

Launch a single player game.
    Press Escape.
    Select VFFPS Control Panel.
    Input the following figures

- Minimum fps rate: 25 -
    - Maximum fps rate: 40 -
    - Minimum view distance: 2500
    - Maximum view distance: 5000

STEP 7:

Play and Enjoy.

I hope you find this useful.
    Last edited by HOTMACHINA; 10-01-2009, 02:11 PM.

Re: HOTMACHINA's Tweaktacular FPS thread. (Nvidia)

Updating to reflect feedback from 1longtime , thanks fella!

Comment

Cool, maybe I'll try some of this out tonight.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

This helped my Fps alot, I can now run the game without having everything on low, game looks good, and runs well. Thanks for the tips

My name: Adept a skilled or proficient person Abyss a deep, immeasurable space, gulf, or cavity
        So I'm a very skilled deep hole :D

Comment

Thanks for the great guide Machina, greatly improved my fps. A couple notes:

If you suffer from input lag (i.e. delayed mouse movement despite reasonable/high fps), then put Maximum Pre Render Frames = 0. Also, ensure mouse smoothing is all the way off in the in game ARMA 2 options.

I had roughly 30-45 fps with medium settings at 1200x768, after following every step in this guide but the first (updating drivers). However, I was still suffering very noticable mouse lag, particularily when my fps dipped into the low 30s.

I went back and updated my nvidia drivers, dispite having poor performance issues with updating in the past. (My video card is a 8800m gtx.)

With this my fps actually increased slightly, but more importantly, the mouse lag completely dissappeared even at a low fps!

Hope this helps anyone out there with input lag.

Comment

A lower Maximum Pre Render Framerate is particularly important with higher resolution fillrates (150-200%). I had freezes when it was set to zero though, I found it safer to go no lower than 2.

With more reasonable fillrates, higher Pre Render is better, like Hotmachina said in his guide.

Comment

So is the fillrate simply determined by the interface resolution?
              I noticed that as i adjust the interface resolution up/down, the % value next to the 3d resolution scales with it.
              What exactly is fillrate?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by graydon0 View Post
                So is the fillrate simply determined by the interface resolution?
                I noticed that as i adjust the interface resolution up/down, the % value next to the 3d resolution scales with it.
                What exactly is fillrate?

Thanks
                From what I understand, the fillrate feature in the game does this.

Let's say you're playing another game, something like, Counter-Strike Source or Call of Duty 4. When you set your resolution, it changes your interface resolution and your 3D resolution together. So if you choose 1600x1200 in one of those games, you'd have a 1600x1200 interface resolution and a 1600x1200 3D Resolution.

Now let's take Arma 2. When you set your Interface resolution, it will automatically adjust your 3D resolution (when at 100%), to that resolution. Your interface resolution, is basically what it says, the resolution that the interface is running at/monitor is running at. When you're at 1600x1200 at 100% fillrate, that means the game renders at 1600x1200 and displays a 1600x1200 picture on the screen.

Let's take a higher fillrate for example now. Suppose you're running at 1600x1200 and you upped your fillrate to 125%. You're monitor will still be outputting at 1600x1200, but your 3D will be rendered at 2000x1500. So now your video card is rendering the game at 2000x1500 and scaling it to your resolution, which results in bigger/crisper textures and an anti-aliasing effect (SSAA is basically the 200% fillrate option in Arma 2, it is costly on performance for obvious reasons)

I hope that cleared things up for anyone wonder what the fillrate option does. If I'm completely off base, feel free to correct me.

EDIT:

Does anyone have/want to start a good tweaking guide for ATI cards for this game? I'm guess ATI cards need less tweaking in general for this game, due to the amount of performance they get compared to the Nvida cards in the same class, but 5-10 frames higher would be nice.
                Last edited by Skategodindy; 10-02-2009, 07:03 PM. Reason: Adding information

Comment

Re: HOTMACHINA'ss Tweaktacular FPS thread. Nvidiaa)

Wow..I can actually read the compass now.

Thanks

Comment

Probably a very obvious answer to the question I'm about to pose, but here it goes anyway.

Should I set my view distance in-game to 5000 since the VFFPS Maximum view distance is set to 5000?
                    sigpic

Comment

So I just installed the beta drivers, but now I don't have the Nvidia control panel anymore. It's still installed but all I have access to now is the nView properties which doesn't have any of the setting described.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

Try clearing out your drivers and reinstalling them (the nvidia ones).
                        http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/

Damnit Blizzard, fix ZvT already >.<
                        In Soviet Russian, Arma admins are nice to you!

Comment

Now i have the following problem .
                          Id I open on desktop the Nvidia 3d on the desktop and i look for the Arma2 exe i can't find it .
                          I'm using de DVD version so I need the CD to start up .
                          specs are:
                          Intel(R)Core(TM)Quad CPU Q9300 @ 2.50GHZ.
                          Graphic card is Nvidia geforce 8800GT.
                          I have Winows Vista .
                          Does any one have a sulotion ?

Comment

The nvidia panel never really picks up all the games u have. (its got only a few of the games i have)

Ok go to 'manage 3d settings' under the drop box that says what programs on ur comp there is a tick box that says 'show only programs found on this computer'.

Unselect and u can scroll until u find arma 2. any changes you make will be saved when for when u use program ie arma 2.

A lot of people do a total unistall of drivers when updating to new drivers but if you do this via remove programs in control panel it will ask u if u want to keep ur profiles ie game settings. say yes.

First post hiya all hope this helps :)

Comment

Thanks very much for this one Hot! My comp struggles a bit with arma 2 :(

I was just on the Nvidia site and today, the 5th, they have released new drivers! One line in particular caught my attention:
                              Up to 12% performance increase in ARMA 2
                              Woot!
                              Nihility

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse