ACE2 Keybind - documentation error and need-to-know

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ACE2 Keybind - documentation error and need-to-know

There is a conflict between the documentation and the ACE2 keybinds file that caused me some problems, as well as a default key assignment that sent me in circles. I'm filing a bug on it so the devs can be aware and fix it, but I wanted to share this now:

The "Interact with Object or Person" menu is by default mapped to the Right Windows key. When you walk up to a person or object, you can hit that key and see an action menu that is specific to ACE2. The problem: almost no one HAS a Right Windows key on their keyboard. I had to Google hard just to find an example image (many Microsoft keyboards don't even have this key) but here is a picture of the key:

now look at line 112 in file: userconfig/ACE/ace_keys.hpp

The comment in that file (as of today) mistakenly says it is bound to Win L (220, left windows? also on line 228, WINL = 220). This conflicts with the posted wiki keybindings (here) which at this moment say the INTERACT menu is bound to the RIGHT WINDOWS key (which almost no one has).

To make a long story short, you probably want to change line 112 in ace_keys.hpp to "key = 221" which is the APP key (APP = 221, see line 233 in ace_keys.hpp, should be between Right-Alt and Right-Ctrl on most keyboards). Then the INTERACT key will be bound here:

Hope this helps.

Re: ACE2 Keybind - documentation error and need-to-know

my logitech G15 has a right windows key. but im British and we have a different layout but as far as im aware all British keyboards do so this must be a US problem. :) go British its the best way. :P

Comment

I have a right windows key, but I just changed the keybinding to the left windows key so it's not a pain to get at.

Code:
      	class ace_sys_interaction
      	{
      		class Interaction_Menu
      		{
      			key = 219;	// win l
      			shift = 0;	
      		};
      	};
      As for how it's documented, yes, it's a bit confusing... in the key file it does say that 220 is the elft and 219 is the right, when it's the other way around.

Comment

I have this key :P

Comment

I honestly haven't ever seen a desktop keyboard without a right windows key, unless it's one of those really, really compact ones :o

But it is kind'a crap if they don't even get the reference texts to the keys right. Post ticket at the CIT and have them fix it ^^

Comment

This's not standard, my windows right key number is 221 :p
            sigpic

PR BF2 Alias: NewOrder_JoyDivision

Comment

Thanks for the heads-up longtime. I was aleady wondering why the "left" windows-key did nothing even though the action was definitely mapped there :)

Comment

Originally posted by 1longtime View Post
                The problem: almost no one HAS a Right Windows key on their keyboard. I had to Google hard just to find an example image (many Microsoft keyboards don't even have this key) but here is a picture of the key:

I thought everyone had a right windows key... maybe just europe.

Comment

mine doesnt have the right key.

Also, keep in mind that Yoma will want to overwrite this file everytime it updates. So keep a copy to replace it everytime you update.

Comment

CANADIAN G15's got a right windows key. What a buncha friggen' loons you guys are!

Comment

I have a G15 as well but know that not everyone has one of them...

Comment

Originally posted by Inq View Post
                        I thought everyone had a right windows key... maybe just europe

Yup, someone pointed this out in the filed bug report: apparently this key is often present in EUR/CAN and *not* present on US keyboards. The documentation/file commenting is incorrect regardless, but I think that is being fixed soon (according to a dev bug comment).

Originally posted by ForGlory&Pain View Post
                        Also, keep in mind that Yoma will want to overwrite this file everytime it updates. So keep a copy to replace it everytime you update.

VERY good catch. I almost lost my changes once already. Heed FG&P's advice, keep a backup copy of ace_keys.hpp !!!

Comment

Every keyboard I've ever used has had a right windows key, and they've all been US boards. :/

Comment

I dont have a right windows key, but i'm on a laptop, I dont have a lot of keys :S

My name: Adept a skilled or proficient person Abyss a deep, immeasurable space, gulf, or cavity
                            So I'm a very skilled deep hole :D

Comment

This is the key that I used. Anyone else have this key or is it just me?

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X