Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curses!!

Hi All,

Well, I havent been playing ARMA2 at all lately, but I finally got a new TB HDD so that I could hold all of my apps, so last night I re-installed ARMA 2 and was getting myself setup to join TG (awesome community and teamwork btw) for some more runs. But when I booted up the game, bang bluescreen.

Then I noticed that my machine was for some reason whisper quiet.... Well guys, my graphics' card fan blew out it looks like, and ARMA2 seems to make the thing sweat.

So! Looks like I need another card. I was working with a XFX geforce 8800 512mb, until last night of course.

What cards would you guys recommend?? In terms of spendable cash, Im really hoping to not go over 200$ Canadian, but I'm open to suggestions!

Oh and happy holidays everyone!

Re: Curses!!

That is 190 USD by the way.

If you are willing to go about 30USD over,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130433

that is an amazing buy.

Otherwise, this is 90USD UNDER your budget and pretty good IMHO.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150316

Happy holidays to you to.
    |TG|Ghost02
    TG Pathfinder

"I travel alone through the valley of the shadow of death, yet in my heart I carry no fear, for Gods hands will guide me to Truth and Honor."

Comment

The 260 is a good buy. Viper uses it and loves it, maybe hit him up for some advice?

Comment

Newegg's American website doesn't ship to our fair country of snow and maple syrup. Try the newly-opened newegg.ca, instead.

Comment

Just a hint for using newegg and finding things. Sometimes the canadian site's search engine is simply put, FUBAR. Just search for things on the US site and then change the .com to .ca since the rest of the link remains the same.

Be sure to check NCIX as well and this site is great for finding places to price match to: http://www.shopbot.ca/

Damnit Blizzard, fix ZvT already >.<
          In Soviet Russian, Arma admins are nice to you!

Comment

NCIX is actually my preferred Canadian retailer, although their prices have been a little skewed recently thanks to the high loonie.

Comment

I've got a Zoltec 280GTX and for ARMA2 its pretty good, I hit a static 30fps because the game isn't GFX dependent, more CPU (i7 950) than anything else.

Comment

I'd also recommend the ATI Radeon HD 4870. That's probably the most bang you can get for the buck. Might be a tad over your budget (no idea what it costs across the pond). Extremely fast memory for its price class (DDR5 instead of DDR3 memory) and a highly competitive GPU. However be a bit picky with what brand you buy. The efficiency (and noise) of the cooling tends to vary a lot between manufacturers.

I'd choose that over the GeForce 9800 or 260 any day.

Comment

Originally posted by Inkompetent View Post
                  I'd also recommend the ATI Radeon HD 4870. That's probably the most bang you can get for the buck. Might be a tad over your budget (no idea what it costs across the pond). Extremely fast memory for its price class (DDR5 instead of DDR3 memory) and a highly competitive GPU. However be a bit picky with what brand you buy. The efficiency (and noise) of the cooling tends to vary a lot between manufacturers.

I'd choose that over the GeForce 9800 or 260 any day.
                  Infact you can get 4890s for under 200 nowadays, i have a 4890 Vapor-X and it runs ArmA pretty damn good.

A quick browse of Newegg shows many are sold out however, so you might have to wait for the holiday rush to die down.

In a world of Herp, one man dares to Derp.

Comment

Quick off topic question to save me making a seperate thread. How do you measure your fps in arma2? Do u have to get an external prog? Or is there a console command or something?
                    Nihility

Comment

Originally posted by Soupy_Norman View Post
                      Quick off topic question to save me making a seperate thread. How do you measure your fps in arma2? Do u have to get an external prog? Or is there a console command or something?
                      Download and run a program called FRAPS. There is no internal FPS monitor.

Comment

you really dont want to run fraps with this game because it will just make you unhappy. People that judge a game by frame counts hate this game, they want to see 60 fps or its a crappy game. You are not going to get high frame rates with Arma 2, you should just go by how the game looks and feels to you.

Comment

Well it feels fine to me on multiplayer. I think im hitting 30 odd. Definatly over 25 anyway as it looks smooth.
                          Nihility

Comment

You dont need a frame rate counter on your screen to tell you if the the game is looking good and running smooth to you. It is used by high end gamers to brag about how many frames their rig could get running Crysis. Kinda like the guys in the parking lots on fri night with their hoods up comparing the engines and all the goodies..."It's got this and this" see how hot my machine is.

Comment

When you aren't happy with the 'look and feel', and are tweaking the game, playing through it each time you change a setting is somewhat less convenient than looking at a number on the screen. Though this game only needs half the frames since 1.04 compared to 1.00 to run smoothly. One reason I gave it up back then until a few weeks ago.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X