Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Veteran mode for TvT (and Coop)

Ahoy,

so I was informed today while playing several TvTs on Bravo, that we can not have veteran mode in TvT because it also removes the name tags for VON. I'd like to ask the admins to enable VON tags in the veteran section of the server config (actually, it should be no more than changing a 0 to a 1).

Cadet mode makes TvT really unenjoyable due to the kill messages, the marking of enemy units on the map and the 3rd person view (and also the scoreboard which allows a player to check if his fire killed someone).

This discussion has already been made (at least) two times in Arma1, so before it's unrolled again, I will link to the earlier threads for everyone who was not around back then to get familiar with the arguments:

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/armed-a...-vet-mode.html

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/armed-a...n-regular.html

I hope the admins consider this and make the changes quickly.

Re: Veteran mode for TvT (and Coop)

Agreed - in fact, the difficulty levels across the board have been a little odd as of late. In my opinion, a few simple changes should be made as well:

-Recruit: VON tags, 3rd-person view, kill messages, map markers
    -Regular: VON tags, no 3rd-person view, kill messages, no map markers
    -Veteran: VON tags, no 3rd-person view, no kill messages, no map markers
    -Expert: no VON tags, no 3rd-person view, no kill messages, no map markers

Comment

Originally posted by sc[ + ]pe View Post
      agreed - in fact, the difficulty levels across the board have been a little odd as of late. In my opinion, a few simple changes should be made as well:

-recruit: Von tags, 3rd-person view, kill messages, map markers
      -regular: Von tags, no 3rd-person view, kill messages, no map markers
      -veteran: Von tags, no 3rd-person view, no kill messages, no map markers
      -expert: No von tags, no 3rd-person view, no kill messages, no map markers
      +1

Comment

We are working on it guys. Bravo is the newest server and we are still ironing the kinks out. Please just be patient we will have it up to snuff before you can say "who the heck just shot me...and who the heck is talking on von?" lol

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Originally posted by Sc[ + ]pe View Post
          Agreed - in fact, the difficulty levels across the board have been a little odd as of late. In my opinion, a few simple changes should be made as well:

+1 except VON tags ok for expert no need to guess at voices in a real military unit everyone would know everyones voice

Comment

I would make it:

-Regular: VON tags, 3rd-person view, kill messages, no map markers
            -Veteran: VON tags, no 3rd-person view, kill messages, no map markers
            -Expert: VON tags, no 3rd-person view, no kill messages, no map markers

**VON tags are vital due to not knowing peoples voices**

Vet mode kill messsages are good to keep for missions with multiple sides as its easier to track team killers and civi killers etc. (This would be used for RP/Alternative TVT playstyle missions)

Expert would remove everything apart from VON tags. (This would be used for Tactical Milsim Coop+TVT missions)

3rd person is not really needed on any difficulty but Reg/Vet could be used to switch it on or off.

Comment

I dont get why would we ever play with 3rd person and map markers on. It is arcadish and a cheat.

Comment

Originally posted by Geronimo989 View Post
                I dont get why would we ever play with 3rd person and map markers on. It is arcadish and a cheat.
                Have you ever been driving a BTR-90? There's the reason for 3rd person for ya, on top of the more cinematic feel in general :D

Comment

Originally posted by Inkompetent View Post
                  Have you ever been driving a BTR-90? There's the reason for 3rd person for ya
                  Maybe we should have a ground guide class?

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon_262 View Post
                    +1 except VON tags ok for expert no need to guess at voices in a real military unit everyone would know everyones voice
                    Totally agree. VON tags are essential when playing games with people who's voice you don't recognize instantly. We played a TvT the other night on Expert with no VON tags and it was a total Charlie Foxtrot.
                    The Don Abides...

Comment

Well, problem with the BTR-90 specifically is a too narrow and zoomed FOV for the driver, that feels like it is in front of the vehicle rather than a periscope or window. It is - simply put - messed up to drive the BTR-90 in first person. Rest of the vehicles are okay as far as I can recall.

But indeed some kind of training for vehicle crews would be nice. Not to mention MBTs with infantry support, since the muzzle blast from tanks can kill or wound infantry it takes some special precautions.

Comment

I never drove the BTR-90, but I have always hated those tiny screens of the Stryker...

For me it should be always, no units on the map, no kill messages; and always VON tags.

About 3rd person, for coop it's fine by me, I don't really care if my neighbour uses it or not, and it's good for driving some vehicles + taking some great screen shots. But a big no for TvT.
                        sigpic

PR BF2 Alias: NewOrder_JoyDivision

Comment

Ya would be nice

Comment

I for one support the presence of third person because it does add a cinematic element to the gameplay. Not being able to see your own character, ever, is epic failure in my opinion. I also like the fact that it does not force those of us who love vehicles (tanks especially) to rely on a commander position that may or may not be filled. The game models are very pretty and many of us like to look at them. What I will say is that for those players who disagree with the presence of third person view, the option is always there -not- to use it. As far as using third person as infantry, it substitutes a number of other senses that are hard to simulate on a single computer screen, like peripheral vision, good sense of hearing, a real 'situational awareness' because honestly... we can't all afford 3 monitors and trackIR which I would assume the proponents of the first person 'lock' setting have in great majority. Just don't hit enter if you don't like to look at the outside of the vehicle you're riding in.

It's far too easy to just declare a given play setting 'arcadey'. Regular should incorporate 3rd person. I'm indifferent on map markers as I know how to orienteer for the most part. 3rd person is mostly just an aesthetic standpoint. Maybe if the driver's positions in the vehicles incorporated internal GPS or a more visually appealing interface I would feel differently, but as stands the only way for a driver to use GPS is in the third person view mode, which is absolute crap because tank drivers -do- actually get a GPS interface. Unless it's a t-34 or something.

If the leader is filled with high ambition and if he pursues his aims with audacity and strength of will, he will reach them in spite of all obstacles.
                            -Carl Von Clausewitz

'The Great Game' -Blog on War in Afghanistan:

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...