IMPORTANT ** ACE MEDICAL / NBC Awarness**

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IMPORTANT ** ACE MEDICAL / NBC Awarness**

Ok so after some experimenting with ACE2 I'm getting ready to roll out a new series of missions. As a main feature in these missions they will include the ACE wounding module. However given what I have seen on the server lately I'm not sure everyone is familiar with (1) how to use the ace medical system and (2) how to properly treat casualties.

First in order to get the ACE medical system working you need to have your ace interaction key bound. By default it is bound to a key that may not exist. To rebind it go to your ArmA2 Directory then userconfig>ace and open ace_keys.hpp . Scroll down until you see this:
    Code:
    class ace_sys_interaction
    	{
    		class Interaction_Menu
    		{
    			key = 220;	// win l
    			shift = 0;	
    		};
    Now change key = 220 (or what ever it is) to the key of your choice (they are listed at the bottom of the document). I use the application key which is 221 so mine now looks like this:
    Code:
    class ace_sys_interaction
    	{
    		class Interaction_Menu
    		{
    			key = 221;	// app
    			shift = 0;	
    		};
    Now that the ACE key is bound when you come across a wounded solider walk up to them and use the ACE interaction. Examining them will tell you the extent of their injuries and if they are incapacitated allow you to preform battlefield clearance.

Once examined there are three principal types of treatment you can preform

Bandages: Slow or stop bleeding. Excessive bleeding will eventually lead to incapacitation and or death. Performing special actions and things like sprinting increase bleeding.

Morphine: lessens pain. excessive pain will lead to incapacitation. moderate pain makes it hard to aim weapons and effects stamina etc.

Epinephrine: Using to increase heart rate for people with low or no pulse. These are PRIORITY situations and death is imminent if treatment is not administered quickly. Also snaps people out of unconsciousness. So if someone is incapacitated and has no pulse they will need two doses of epi.

So now that the ACE medical system is sorted here are some general notes about battlefield treatment of casualties

(1) When someone is hit first and foremost they should say something on direct, although some times it is immediately obvious to others that you have been shot sometimes it is not. So you should immediately say “I’M HIT” this alerts others to your situation and tells them your going to be out of the fight for a while at least. The next thing you should do is asses your wound can you treat it yourself? If you can do so give your FTL and "up" and get firing. Don't seek additional medication i.e. morphine until the firefight is over. If you can't treat it yourself continue to give updates of your status over VON. If your conscious for long periods of time say "I'm hit not bad" this helps the medical staff triage and determine who needs the most help. If your barely alive let people know whenever you can (keep in mind VON doesn't work when your unconscious).

(2) Everyone else should keep doing what ever it was they were doing. If everyone turns around to help and no one is suppressing the enemy it means everyone is going to get shot. If the person has a battle buddy as designated by the FTL then they should make an effort to check on the persons status via voice. IF YOU ARE IN THE ATTACK DON"T STOP. Too many attacks get bogged down because one casualty is taken and everyone has to try and help. FTLs and Sls should keep their squads focused especially when on the attack. Let the platoon medical staff know who the casualty is and where they are and keep going if the wound is serious enough that the person can't perform self aid then its too serious to deal with on the attack.

(3) If the situation permits (i.e. defensive or meeting engagement) and there is not undue risk the FTL should select a fire team member to assist the wounded while everyone else continues to cover (smoke is employed here as necessary). The first priority should be to get the casualty into better cover if that is an issue however don't drag a wounded man more than 40m MAX unless there is a very special circumstance. Dragging for an extended period of time usually results in 2 wounded instead of one. At this point the SL should know of the situation and should call it in to Platoon HQ.

(4) Once the wounded man is in the best spot you can get them without dragging them for over 10 seconds emergency first aid (bandaging) should be given by the rescuer assuming none of the platoon staff is there.

(5) Once first aid is administered the wounded can either return to the line or be evacuated back for further medical treatment.

IF AT ANY POINT THE PLATOON MEDICAL STAFF ARRIVE THEY SHOULD TAKE OVER THE OPERATION AND THE SQUAD MEMBERS SHOULD CARRY ON WITH THEIR DUTIES (this excludes canceling first aid if it is in the process of being administered)

The duties of the platoon medical staff are as follows:

Platoon Sergeant: Coordinates the clearance, care and evacuations of all casualties in the platoon and directs the medic and other HQ members to aid in these processes.

Platoon Rifleman(if applicable): Moves the wounded into a safe spot for treatment using principal (4). Assists squads with battlefield clearance and assists the medic with evacuation(carrying wounded)

Medic: Responsible for giving first aid and overseeing treatment of aid until the wounded are at a medic facility.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also with the simulation of full scale conventional warfare comes the possibility of chemical or nuclear warfare.

Since the signs and symptoms of nuclear warfare of fairly self evident i.e. blinding light + big mushroom cloud + potential radioactivity. I will concentrate on chemical warfare.

Now I've never had any formal training in this so I'm sure some of the more military types can fill in the blanks here but here a quick rundown on some things to watch for.

Effects on yourself:
    -Unexplained physiological responses i.e. sudden runny nose
    -Strong and unexpected odors (fresh cut grass, sweet smells)

Effects on other living things:
    -dead animals, unmasked troops or civilians

Situational Clues:
    -Unusually artillery (popping, pinging sounds, small wiffs of off color smoke)
    -Masked friendly or enemy troops

Radio Warnings:
    -Higher HQ
    -Other friendly forces

If you suspect gas you should IMMEDIATELY mask up then give the warning "GAS GAS GAS". If you hear the warning repeat it and mask up. Remain masked until you are given the all clear by certified NBC personnel. Remember most chemical agents kill in seconds and come in persistent and non-persistent flavors.

P.S. Make sure those ACE goggles are working :) search the forums if you don't know how to fix that.
    Last edited by Falcon_262; 12-28-2009, 04:39 PM.

Re: IMPORTANT ** ACE MEDICAL / NBC Awarness**

Can you see the effects of gas in game? I know you wont be able to see bloodshot eyes or runny noses but are there other sublte hints that there is something in the air?

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

The only gas currently represented is CS/CN, and while I don't remember the exact ingame effects and symptoms it causes I do remember they're pretty obvious. IIRC extremely blurry vision, flashing screen, visible gas hanging in the air, etc...

Comment

Ok thanks fin, looks like the Basic Infantry Course is going to have a new module added to the training.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Originally posted by Dredge View Post
          Can you see the effects of gas in game? I know you wont be able to see bloodshot eyes or runny noses but are there other sublte hints that there is something in the air?
          Originally posted by Fincuan View Post
          The only gas currently represented is CS/CN, and while I don't remember the exact ingame effects and symptoms it causes I do remember they're pretty obvious. IIRC extremely blurry vision, flashing screen, visible gas hanging in the air, etc...
          Yes there many be some of the aforementioned hints in game. As for the gas itself I'm not using the CN gas instead something much more deadly but needless to say you will know if your getting gas but by the time post processing effects kick in your pretty far gone. just rest assured that if you know what your looking for it will be obvious whats going on and you should be just fine. If your REALLY not paying attention or goofing off you might get caught by surprise and you'll be dead.

Comment

One tip on the NBC/CBRN part. Mask up THEN say GAS, GAS, GAS ;)

As for CS/CN gas being the only thing there, let's just say it is easy to write a script otherwise!

Also, for the medical system, keep in mind the behaviour of unconsciousness has changed a bit. When you are unconscious, most of the time to get "snapped out of it", you will need a dosage of epinephrine. This is ON TOP OF the dosage that restarts your heart if you have no pulse. Previously, in ACE1, morphine was sufficient. Now you need epi too (most of the time).

Also, bleeding isn't as immediately dangerous. There are 5 levels of bleeding, the lowest 2 levels can go on for a good 5-10 minutes before you pass out. So, usually if you aren't knocked unconscious from your bleeding within 10 seconds (faster than you can bandage yourself typically), you will generally be alright for a while. No need to immediately stop and bandage yourself in a terrible position. Seek some sort of cover or concealment first.

Comment

Here's a link to a previous post regarding the keybinds, and a problem with the key numbering in the config file. Two points to add:

1) some countries reverse the Left Windows key with the Right (primarily outside N Amer)
              2) some keyboards do not have a Right Windows key at all

Link with info and pics (most was well covered here, but the pics may help)

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/arma-2-...need-know.html

Good post Falcon

Comment

Originally posted by beita View Post
                One tip on the NBC/CBRN part. Mask up THEN say GAS, GAS, GAS ;)

As for CS/CN gas being the only thing there, let's just say it is easy to write a script otherwise!

Also, for the medical system, keep in mind the behaviour of unconsciousness has changed a bit. When you are unconscious, most of the time to get "snapped out of it", you will need a dosage of epinephrine. This is ON TOP OF the dosage that restarts your heart if you have no pulse. Previously, in ACE1, morphine was sufficient. Now you need epi too (most of the time).

Also, bleeding isn't as immediately dangerous. There are 5 levels of bleeding, the lowest 2 levels can go on for a good 5-10 minutes before you pass out. So, usually if you aren't knocked unconscious from your bleeding within 10 seconds (faster than you can bandage yourself typically), you will generally be alright for a while. No need to immediately stop and bandage yourself in a terrible position. Seek some sort of cover or concealment first.
                Thanks for the info beta. Post edited to reflect ACE 2 changes.

Comment

Nausea, vomitting, muscle twitching, muscle cramps, runny nose, blurred vision, dont quote me but as i may've missed some but believe these were most notorious sings symptoms of chemical agent attack.
                  "It doesn't take a hero to order men into battle. It takes a hero to be one of those men who goes into battle."
                  "To show you what a difference retirement makes. Last year when I gave an order, 541,000 men and women jumped," he explained. "Now I can't even get the plumber to come over."
                  Norman Schwarzkopf

Comment

Here is a slide show falcon look at page 54 something lol

http://www.filefront.com/15237267/RE...R%20COURSE.ppt

Comment

Having briefly played around with the module in the editor, it seems it makes enemies (and yourself) much too hard to put down. If I place an enemy unit close to me facing away I have to put 5 or 6 rifle rounds into them before they go unconscious/dead. Anyone else find this?

Otherwise the healing system is nice.

Comment

Remember that the reporter gets the only correctly patterened NBC suit. The rest of you will just have to make do.

| |

Comment

Originally posted by Lhowon View Post
                          If I place an enemy unit close to me facing away I have to put 5 or 6 rifle rounds into them before they go unconscious/dead. Anyone else find this?
                          It was the same thing in ACE1 with 5.56 and below. Probably the biggest reason why many people preferred 7.62 NATO-caliber weapons over 5.56, as the latter was hopelessly ineffective. Now there's just not much to choose from, FAL Para being the only battle rifle and the rest being snipers/DMRs.

Comment

Heh, the complaints about ArmA's 5.56 seem to echo the complaints in reality -- nobody thinks 5.56 NATO packs enough punch.

Comment

Lol, well maybe, but I don't think you'd be a happy chappy getting shot in the back four times from a few metres away :P

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X