Sunday event

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunday event

This is another good reason to slow down on the stuff we are trying to play on our servers. Too much too fast leads to the mess we are in on trying to start, let alone complete a mission. Is it Ace? Is it the missions? A combination of things?. This is really starting to suck.

Re: Sunday event

Care to explain, Chief?

Comment

I just got home. I'm scared to ask what happened... I assume a technical showstopper?

I've had a much higher interest in scripting and missions lately, so I hope there will be some posts about any technical "lessons learned" in the appropriate forum. Also, please capture the arma2server.rpt file before it's wiped and the server log.

Also, I've noticed the TG forums are extremely highly ranked in Google search results, so posting questions/answers in the missions forum will get lots of hits.

Comment

I too am curious about what happened. I failed to make the mission because I was cleaning/restocking our kitchen in preparation for a new year (I'm the household cook). So yea. What gives with these less than heartening tidings?

If the leader is filled with high ambition and if he pursues his aims with audacity and strength of will, he will reach them in spite of all obstacles.
        -Carl Von Clausewitz

'The Great Game' -Blog on War in Afghanistan:

Comment

Once again it was a long effort to get things going only to have everything go to hell and crash as the mission started, needing to go to a backup mission. Our Sunday missions have a bad batting average.

Comment

That's why they are unofficial, I am still......waiting for something before we go official.....

Comment

Hey we still have a mission going on that is great.
              |TG|Ghost02
              TG Pathfinder

"I travel alone through the valley of the shadow of death, yet in my heart I carry no fear, for Gods hands will guide me to Truth and Honor."

Comment

Unfortunately after 45 minutes of planning the Aiaktalik mission fell apart due to massive desync. Igor says he is going to move it to another island and try again next Saturday (tentative, I assume).

Meanwhile, the backup mission, Operation Ares, was a success and we just finished it after roughly three and a half hours, with all objectives completed. I have a ton of FRAPS footage (including some lewd Bradley action in the woods) as well as screenshots which should make for a great AAR... which I'll work on tomorrow. Good night and thanks to Igor and everyone else who worked on this for a great night of ArmA.

Comment

I felt so abused in the woods during that =| and only to have it happen again in less than 10 seconds after getting corrected.
                  The views expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of TacticalGamer.com or of any other TacticalGamer ArmA Administration member, reader discretion is advised.

Comment

The best part of Ares was schwacking the pickup!

Comment

i thought it was really fun. Sure, we had some technical problems, but we pushed through and had a great time. You can't blame people for trying new things. It didn't work the first time. It rarely does, and thats ok. Whats important is that we still had fun despite the technical problems.

Comment

Did anyone CTD sporadically on Ares?

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefBoatsRet View Post
                          Once again it was a long effort to get things going only to have everything go to hell and crash as the mission started, needing to go to a backup mission. Our Sunday missions have a bad batting average.
                          Chief, how do you propose that we test 40+ player missions without getting 40+ players on the server to test them?
                          The Don Abides...

Comment

Sorry for the tech issues.
                            I take full responsibility.
                            I'm not sure its the map, I'm starting to think its the mission itself.
                            I mean, Fallout is on Aiaktalik, and is probably more taxing, and it runs well.

I don't have too many units in-game, but I do have a few scripts that run at the beginning to equip everyone. However, once they are done, they exit. So not sure...

Also, the units are randomly placed. Could this be a problem? Each time the mission runs, it will be different. Same deal though, runs and exits.

Okay, my plan as of now is to:
                            1. Remove random starting positions for enemy
                            2. Test on aiaktalik
                            3. If working, good
                            4. If not, move mission to Panthera2
                            5. Have event next Sun
                            "Never forget that you are there to SERVE the soldiers. Listen to your NCOs and always do the right thing." -My Father
                            "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGNxHMFjigA"
                            "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ce0c6qVnJE4"
                            "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2Lpc9vTnqU"
                            "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEzc9fB8xPo"
                            "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tdCTP_ae_8"
                            "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrmoSZgYaFw"

Comment

Originally posted by Igor View Post
                              Sorry for the tech issues.
                              I take full responsibility.
                              I'm not sure its the map, I'm starting to think its the mission itself.
                              I mean, Fallout is on Aiaktalik, and is probably more taxing, and it runs well.

I don't have too many units in-game, but I do have a few scripts that run at the beginning to equip everyone. However, once they are done, they exit. So not sure...

Also, the units are randomly placed. Could this be a problem? Each time the mission runs, it will be different. Same deal though, runs and exits.

Okay, my plan as of now is to:
                              1. Remove random starting positions for enemy
                              2. Test on aiaktalik
                              3. If working, good
                              4. If not, move mission to Panthera2
                              5. Have event next Sun
                              Randomization is not the problem. There could be many potential causes of desync I think the best option is to have some of the more senior mission makers go through it its probably either a script bug or something similar.

For future reference to all mission makers to reduce server load one of the best ways is to go through the hierarchy of things that cause problems.

Event Handler < Script < Loop (with sleeps) < Trigger

Event Handlers due to their nature are the least taxing but there are several that have some bugs so check before you use them. Second least taxing are scripts that are only run once at a time. Third least taxing are infinite loops with sleep periods built in. And finally most taxing are triggers.

Another major issue with desync is locality especially if you are creating or destorying vehicles etc. some of these actions should not be executed on every client and have a nasty habit of melting servers see ace parachute bug for details.

As always the forums or the editing Ts Channels are great places to get some help stop by with your questions.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X