Recognition,...and honor.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recognition,...and honor.

I am a serious person. That does not mean I am a tool. I will agree with Macarthur and say that my ability as a CO is only as powerful as the sum of the soldiers that serve under my command. Tonight, I was able to command a group of about twenty TG players through three games. We attempted the new map Hotmachina called Suntan(spelling?) and another Terrorist map. Suntan went poorly because of map issues, I wish to add that everyone did exactly as they were ordered and carried out those orders flawlessly. I am not one to give praise where it is not evident, but the soldiers who looked to me for guidance were eager and willing to be given tasks and to carry them out. There is only one word to describe their efforts. Outstanding.

Now, I am not the most experienced commander, there is a lot about the game I am still learning. I know at least 75% of what is laid out before me and what I can not understand immediately, I can figure out through communication or bypass with alternative means to accomplish my goal.

That being said I have three things to bring to TGs attention about tonight's game on Bravo Server.

1. With the exception of one person who did not listen to me or anyone else and took our advice personally and responded arrogantly, we had a great time. Everyone, like most of my experiences with TG, was there for the team. No one questioned my judgment, but did offer advice with I gladly and expressively took into consideration and turned into tactical decision. There were several people whose experience trumped mine by an order of magnitude and I appreciate it. I want to recognize those who I remember.

Miles
    Fincuan
    Dagi
    Krause
    Waldo - Thanks for relaying Command messages when my VON had a heart attack and died.

2. I know how to command troops, squad level and platoon level, but knowledge of the game is ultimately equally if not more important that situational awareness. I feel that some part of me failed this evening because I had to ask questions about some pretty simple things. In my mind, that is not giving the soldiers I command the best possible person to do the job. Its not acceptable to have someone in the Pilots seat who is still learning. This mantra may be harsh, but its something that I live with. I can only hope to improve so that I might be the commander that you want instead of the commander you have to deal with.

3. TG is the greatest show on Earth.

Tonight, I was honored, not by my actions in battle, but by the distinguished privilege of leading a group of TG soldiers into several battles. I tip my cover to you.

Semper TG.

After-thought: I want to recommend Waldo, Krause, and whoever lead Alpha Squad for ribons. There were times when chaos erupted at the command element and they were able to use their judgement to carry out their orders at the squad and office level when communication broke down. That is a priceless asset to have.

Current ARMA Development Project: No Current Project

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Re: Recognition,...and honor.

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/tactica...minations.html

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/tactica...minations.html

:)

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. " - Albert Einstein

Comment

Read this to get channel commander under control and also set up teamspeak keybinds:

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/armed-a...teamspeak.html

About failing as a commander (not to say you did, i think you did good), it's fine, TG actually advocates new blood to command. Even if you're a new commander, knowledgeable squad leaders can buttress your operations and make sure they don't fail. It all works out in the end. A new commander isn't desirable for a planned and major event, but its fine for the pub.

P.S. Great job with commanding, hope to see you in game again!
      Last edited by tyrspawn; 01-07-2010, 04:28 AM.

Comment

This is toward the bottom of the link tyrspawn posted, and it's in the TS channel description, but I want to re-post it here... and I will re-post it as often as I can get away with (without being banned) until EVERYONE has the keybinds.

TEAMSPEAK KEYBINDS DOWNLOAD LINK:

http://wiredmonkey.com/tacticalgamer...nds-9dec09.kbn

WARNING: EXPORT your current keybinds or they will be lost!

Comment

I would appreciate any feedback on the "map issue" as it may be something I can resolve.

Comment

Originally posted by HOTMACHINA View Post
            I would appreciate any feedback on the "map issue" as it may be something I can resolve.
            After about 5 minutes the mission ended. Someone said you had to be in the red area by 11 minutes, so on the subsequent retries we tried to rush into there. We were unable to make it there before 6 minutes (had one section, which I was leading, mount ATVs and rush it), and the mission ended. We retried about 5 times and finally gave up, the result was the same each time.

Comment

Eventually I believe the one Dimitrius is talking about got ended by a troller who thought it would be cool to end the mission by usingthe satelite phone. I know for sure it wasnt the commander because we had blocked him in his command tent with the use of sandbags, which he wanted us to do :)

Comment

Hmmm interesting.

Its more than possible not to enter the town untill at least 20 - 30 minutes.

I didnt know about any telephone in the map.

Comment

Im talking about the swagger op, after that i think we did ur mission hot

Comment

Originally posted by waldo170 View Post
                    Eventually I believe the one Dimitrius is talking about got ended by a troller who thought it would be cool to end the mission by usingthe satelite phone. I know for sure it wasnt the commander because we had blocked him in his command tent with the use of sandbags, which he wanted us to do :)
                    Wait... you had a griefer on OpSwagger prematurely ending the mission?

Please tell me you a) got his name, b) kicked him and c) posted his name on the Contact an Admin forum for a ban.

Also, I think Hotmachina is talking about SUNTAN.

Comment

His name was [DELETED]. We tried to explain to him the concept of procedure and the proper methods of communication, but he was rather belligerent. He was arguing with myself and Waldo after we tried to help him understand how TG works. He was saying things in both chat and over TS and Von to the tune of "You're done talking to me," "I am muting you all," and "You expect me to keep quiet when things like this happen?" At this point I believe either a TS admin or someone in a similar position took him into another channel to try to explain things. After that I never saw him again.
                      Last edited by Dredge; 01-08-2010, 04:14 PM. Reason: User Request

Current ARMA Development Project: No Current Project

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

Sorry about that Swagger ending thing. I honestly thought the mission being played solely at TG and the text DO NOT USE THE SATELLITE PHONE UNLESS YOU WANT TO END THE MISSION in briefing would be enough to stop "accidental" endings, but apparently not.
                        The next version will only have a limited group of people who can access the satellite phone at all. It should already have been teamleaders only, but apparently something didn't quite works as it should. I'll also make it so that when it's used the name of whoever used it will be displayed on all clients and logged to the server-log. At least that way it'll be easy to find out who did it if it was done with bad intentions.

Comment

Originally posted by Dimitrius View Post
                          His name was xxx. We tried to explain to him the concept of procedure and the proper methods of communication, but he was rather belligerent. He was arguing with myself and Waldo after we tried to help him understand how TG works. He was saying things in both chat and over TS and Von to the tune of "You're done talking to me," "I am muting you all," and "You expect me to keep quiet when things like this happen?" At this point I believe either a TS admin or someone in a similar position took him into another channel to try to explain things. After that I never saw him again.
                          No need to post names here, that's what the Contact an Admin forum is for. I know that name, however, and he has played properly before so I'm not sure what to say.

Also, there should always be a voted admin. Sometimes a kick is appropriate.

Comment

HOTMACHINA, regarding SUNTAN,

We encountered a bug several times wherein A) the "Units" tab of the briefing map didn't appear, and B) no player could interact with ANY object, be it vehicle, ammo crate, etc.

This bug appeared about 4/5 times we played the mission, but I've witnessed the same problem on other missions (Nikov's October Moon, if I remember correctly). It may be a problem with the server, or with the latest ACE version. My thoughts are that it's linked to the removal of ACE_THROW in Monday's release.

With regards to Swagger, I don't think there's any need to drag anyone through the mud more than has already been done. Admins dealt with it at the time and place, no need to continue discussing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Fincuan View Post
                              Sorry about that Swagger ending thing. I honestly thought the mission being played solely at TG and the text DO NOT USE THE SATELLITE PHONE UNLESS YOU WANT TO END THE MISSION in briefing would be enough to stop "accidental" endings, but apparently not.
                              The next version will only have a limited group of people who can access the satellite phone at all. It should already have been teamleaders only, but apparently something didn't quite works as it should. I'll also make it so that when it's used the name of whoever used it will be displayed on all clients and logged to the server-log. At least that way it'll be easy to find out who did it if it was done with bad intentions.
                              Funny, I had the exact same line of though way back when I a made Operation Gloria. 9/10 times it was played before this "feature" was changed, mission ended within 5 minutes, *facepalm*.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X