new guy observations...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new guy observations...

so I'm new to TG , just a few weeks ago I joined. I just wanted to comment on some observations and maybe someone can explain the norm or if this is not normal...

During prime time gaming hours , weekends and weekday evening when there are alot of people on i notice it can take anywhere from 15 to 60 minutes to get a mission going from time a mission is picked to launching getting everyone is slotted in. I spend more time waiting than I do playing during the few hours I get to play Arma2.

Seems to me many missons are also based on waiting . i have sat waiting for 15 to to 120 minutes waiting for orders or enemy and when orders come , its a 5 minute fight and we win or lose .

There seems to be a lack of missions with quick action or much sustained action beyond maybe 15 minutes of combat. Although very immersive it can get very boring.

I also notice not much training on the TG way of doing things as far as in game "this is what you do and this is the right way to do it " and seems of you don't know you get kicked banned or generally called idiot and such ... this to me imo is not very friendly.

Now i have to say i have never had so much fun with Arma2 as I have on
    TG , when you get some good people and smaller missions it can be a blast.

I have read most of the TG documentaion , it would be nice to have a TG Training boot camp mission maybe on the weekday evening . i guess nothing can be done about the long wait times and its just something to have to live with. It would be nice to see a better slotting up procedure and quicker SOP for picking a misson and getting the briefing finished . I just normally see miison end then its 5 min for picking a misson , 15 for slotting , 10 for briefing , 10 to get equipted and in vehicles and what not , 10 to target then the fun begins . this post is not meant to be in any way negative , so far TG and been a mostly positive experience .
    Last edited by Tekpc007; 01-09-2010, 03:50 PM.

Re: new guy observations...

I signed up recently too. Played my 4th game with TG last night. Each experience I've had has been incredible. I've joined mid-game twice and had to slot up twice. The two times I slotted up I let the admin know that I was new to TG, and he explained several things to me to get me started off. Then the other times where I started mid game I just joined up, took note of what squad I was joining and asked the squad leader for orders.

The only time I had trouble was last night on Alpha server. I asked for order but none came so I just ran over to my fire team, which had 4-5 guys. There I was able to just follow the squad leaders instructions as he didn't give much individual attention, just overall commands to the group.

And that night, it was a VERY long mission with a command element and two fire squads and a few smaller elements coordinating through out the evening. Very fun. Lots of action.

My time here at TG has been good. I've heard much talk about some disappointing times in TG but I have yet to experience that first hand.
    Also Known As; ENDER

Comment

Training courses are on the way. It takes awhile to slot up because once the commander is picked he decides what slots he needs.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Originally posted by Tekpc007 View Post
        Seems to me many missons are also based on waiting . i have sat waiting for 15 to to 120 minutes waiting for orders or enemy and when orders come , its a 5 minute fight and we win or lose .

There seems to be a lack of missions with quick action or much sustained action beyond maybe 15 minutes of combat. Although very immersive it can get very boring.
        [...]
        i guess nothing can be done about the long wait times and its just something to have to live with.
        This sounds like a bad mission or an unusual situation that is not being explained.

Action is slower in Arma2 than other games, of course, but what you are describing is extremely long. A voted admin should keep the slotting moving (with help from the CO). The CO should keep the planning short and get the mission started. The mission should allow the teams to get to the action without walking for miles or waiting for hours.

No one has 120 minutes to spare watching the virtual grass grow. If it was really 120 minutes, then understand that length of time is very, very unusual.

I also notice not much training on the TG way of doing things as far as in game "this is what you do and this is the right way to do it " and seems of you don't know you get kicked banned or generally called idiot and such ... this to me imo is not very friendly.
        From what I have seen, the only way you get kicked is if you refuse to follow team orders (or otherwise go lonewolf), and the only way you get banned is by teamkilling or griefing.

Only a permanent admin can ban, and they don't ban players for fun, it's considered a serious thing. Even temporary voted admins rarely kick players, and the few times I've seen it (or done it myself) has been for the reason I mentioned above.

As for people calling other players idiots... yeah unfortunately I've seen that once or twice, and the person speaking is usually the idiot. Other TGers with more respect will usually keep the situation in control. I personally dislike seeing those words fly around my screen. Too much negativity. Those situations are extremely rare.

I wouldn't sweat being banned. Just don't teamkill or grief. As for being kicked, just don't lonewolf or fly a helicopter into a mountain without even having permission to fly from the CO. Just be honest and tell players when you are hearing something you don't understand so they can explain it.

Comment

so I'm new to TG , just a few weeks ago I joined. I just wanted to comment on some observations and maybe someone can explain the norm or if this is not normal...

During prime time gaming hours , weekends and weekday evening when there are alot of people on i notice it can take anywhere from 15 to 60 minutes to get a mission going from time a mission is picked to launching getting everyone is slotted in. I spend more time waiting than I do playing during the few hours I get to play Arma2.

Now i have to say i have never had so much fun with Arma2 as I have on
          TG , when you get some good people and smaller missions it can be a blast.

I have read most of the TG documentaion , it would be nice to have a TG Training boot camp mission maybe on the weekday evening . i guess nothing can be done about the long wait times and its just something to have to live with. It would be nice to see a better slotting up procedure and quicker SOP for picking a misson and getting the briefing finished . I just normally see miison end then its 5 min for picking a misson , 15 for slotting , 10 for briefing , 10 to get equipted and in vehicles and what not , 10 to target then the fun begins . this post is not meant to be in any way negative , so far TG and been a mostly positive experience .
          A bad plan of action means no fun for anyone, a good plan of action requires some time to set up. I would suggest you try commanding, serving as an XO or SL, it's not that nothing is going on.... LOTS of stuff is going on, just not for the grunts. With competent squad leaders and good interoperability an operation should be rolling within 15-20 minutes, to expect trigger time sooner I think is unrealistic.

ARMA 2 in the TG style is more than a FPS run and gun experience... its also a sort of strategy game and C2 simulator.

Also I think you left when we were on Hill 76 (overwatch) playing HOTMACHINA's new mission, you were not in my fireteam , but I was your ultimate superior as I was alpha SL. If someone was acting with misconduct under my command I want to know who it was by name, I try to make my sure all my NCOs treat others with respect. And we departed and attacked the town/air field 2 minutes after you left. ARMA 2 TG is about large sums of DELAYED GRATIFICATION and small moments of INSTANT GRATIFICATION.

Finally, I am considering writing a "crash course" for military tactics to address the "i dont know wtf is going on" moments.

Comment

I joined a week ago and was hoping to play on expert mode with "NO" Cross hairs or 3D person view. I have a video of me killing someone on a team vs team map and just felt bad doing it.

I was hoping to gather a bunch of people that would play on expert. Yes I understand its hard to but if you have some good players its not that bad. Looking for some more Expert Team vs Team play. :( Other then that Tg has been good.

Comment

its a problem we are having with the servers natemoe. It used to be that way. but with new servers and updates we are rushing to reconfig everything

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Originally posted by Dredge View Post
                its a problem we are having with the servers natemoe. It used to be that way. but with new servers and updates we are rushing to reconfig everything
                Yeah i think someone said that before , thats good to hear thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by natemoe View Post
                  I joined a week ago and was hoping to play on expert mode with "NO" Cross hairs or 3D person view. I have a video of me killing someone on a team vs team map and just felt bad doing it.
                  Think of that completely removing crosshairs and 3rd person isn't entirely realistic either. About as unrealistic as having them activated actually.

You can disable crosshairs in your ace_clientside_config.hpp anyway, if you want to make sure they ain't on regardless of server setting :)

Comment

While unrealistic, the crosshair in ArmA simulate the soldier having the gun at the ready while NOT looking down the sights. It's not a simple "shoot-from-the-hip-crosshair" that other games have. :D
                    The reason for why it is disabled is that the crosshair is TOO MUCH accurate than it should be: I have found that sometimes the crosshair is just that much better compared to the sights, especially if you have to hit targets at medium range with an unscoped lmg during the night (it's harder to be blinded by the muzzle flash and you can see what would otherwise be obscured by the ironsight). ;)
                    So bottom line is: it wouldn't be too unrealistic to have it on screen for extremely short-range combat, but it is too much accurate to be realistic. :)

In regards of third-person I agree: it should be disabled for TVT battles, since it can give you an advantage over an enemy human player. Against AIs I don't mind it too much (allowing you to make grass less of a penalty against bots) and it should be allowed for vehicle gunners (the FOV and turret rotation speed are too small/slow compared to RL capabilities, in particular with the Abrams; and it's hard to aim anyway :D).
                    sigpic

Now with 200% more content!

Comment

Originally posted by Merula View Post

In regards of third-person I agree: it should be disabled for TVT battles, since it can give you an advantage over an enemy human player. Against AIs I don't mind it too much (allowing you to make grass less of a penalty against bots) and it should be allowed for vehicle gunners (the FOV and turret rotation speed are too small/slow compared to RL capabilities, in particular with the Abrams; and it's hard to aim anyway :D).
                      True, also hard to land chopper without 3d view and without Airfield team and second pilot.

Comment

Imo I think 3rd person should be turned off as it makes TvT very easy to the avid 3rd person user. They can check out corners without having to pop out thier head. I'm okay with crosshairs on or off but the 3rd person needs to go especially for TvT . I do not use them as my own house rule when I am playing because it is more immersive and fun for me.

As long as there is man there will be wars-Albert Einstein

No man,No problem-Josef Stalin

Comment

Could be as simple as setting to that Veteran or Expert has no 3rd person, and always play TvT missions on that difficulty :)

Comment

No one should be calling you an idiot we are generally a mature gaming community that has a reputation for helping new player learn the system. Please let the admins know if you are being mistreated. They are in teamspeak often. As for the wait try to be patient I know the wait sucks but the coordination that comes out of it makes for a very unique and exciting experience.
                            sigpic

Comment

No crosshairs is fine with me. No 3rd person is fine with me. But when you say "Let's play on Expert all the time" it makes me cringe because that means no VON identification. The few times we have tried that have been disastrous. Yes in a perfect world where everyone uses proper radio procedure and we all could identify each other by our voices alone, and we all spoke the same primary language, then it would be awesome, but that is not our situation.

There are some folks who just plain refuse to learn even rudimentary radio procedure. There are a some folks who usually play well but if you dangle the fruit of anonymity in front of them will start making noises, playing the radio and farting into their mics. When you have no recourse to kick/ban, it only takes one person to destroy a mission by behaving immaturely.
                              The Don Abides...

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X