Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Command methods, unit communication, and future operation.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Command methods, unit communication, and future operation.

The last few nights I have been attempting to hone my command skills with the men available to me on both alpha and bravo server. I have learned a lot about the way Arma 2 works and would like to offer my perceived method of command to the community for comment or criticism. I realize there may be a thread somewhere with TGs official suggestion, but I am still offering this to get my flavor of game play out there.

Command style: There are several types of command styles that I have come across in my time playing PR and ARMA2. Some commanders are very controlling of their squads down to the formation of the men in individual elements, while others tend to leave micro management to the discretion of the leader of each squad. I tend to lean towards the latter. For example. Last night I had two fireteam squads, each with a competent squad lead who communicated with me regularly and carried out my commands as I issued them. My commands were goal oriented. I would say "Delta lead, you are to approach the target area from the east and neutralize any enemy presence. Call out enemy contact." I would then instruct Delta lead to carry out his orders in any way he saw fit as far as approach method, mounted or unmounted movement, and speed of approach. Delta was then able to interpret my commands and leave me to manage other squads without having to further communicate. This method proved to be immensely efficient because, in my opinion, command was able to focus more on strategic platoon management, than on individual squad tactics. This is my method.

Communication: In this example I will explain my delegation of certain procedures to platoon officers.

Platoon exists of
    Myself as commander
    Platoon Sergeant directly under my command
    Delta squad - fireteam
    Charlie squad -fireteam
    Helicopter Cobra - Aerial fire support
    Helicopter Littlebird - Aerial transport
    Armored squad - M1A1 and Bradleys
    Repair, Rearm, Refuel Squad -Repair vehicles, ammo vehicles, fuel truck.
    Sniper Squad -Spotter, sniper elemet

As commander, I will communicate directly with Delta, Charlie, Sniper, Helicopter Cobra, and Armored Squad leads. I will direct all transport, repair, and refuel requests and orders to be communicated to my platoon sergeant, freeing me up for tactical and strategic management. Beyond this basic description, there is very little else and I try not to deviate from this model. I believe in simplicity, effeciency, and very little micro management on the part of the CO. I trust my squad leads to interpret my commands as they see fit. Obviously the larger the platoon, the more officer delegation occurs.

If I schedule a server event in the near future I am interested in seeing who is willing to join me. If there are experienced TG Arma commanders who are willing to take platoon officer positions to assist and help guide my efforts I would appreciate the help. I do not have any experience with mission creation so I will appeal to the Editors for support or suggestions as to missions. I would need parties interested in being platoon officers to communicate with me so we can plan and discuss procedure.

The bottom line for my command style is to offer everyone a fun, organized, and professional experience. This game has unlimited potential at the moment.

My name is Dimitrius and I am at your service.

Feedback?

Semper TG.
    Last edited by Dimitrius; 01-09-2010, 08:21 PM. Reason: punctuation and whatnot.

Current ARMA Development Project: No Current Project

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Re: Command methods, unit communication, and future operation.

Suggestions:

1. The culture of command you are referring to is called "directive control." Directive control involves a notification by superiors of intent and the role to which the ordered unit must fulfill in the upcoming engagement. The implementation of that intent (directive) then becomes a matter for the low-level commander to determine, suited best to the situation on the ground. In this fashion command burden is reduced at the highest levels and spread among commands more knowledgeable of their own situation. In this fashion significant decisions can be effected quickly, without burdening reliance on high command‟s consent and knowledge. Initiative is the virtue of maneuver warfare, as it fosters implementation of the doctrine. Decentralization, assuming the low level commands are properly trained beforehand, leads to victory over a centralized and slow to respond opposing force.

In directive control your elements work as a team to accomplish the objective, talking amongst eachother, while you are an overseer who constantly listens in to the command channel and makes sure everything is going well. You step in when things are going bad.

Be advised:
    1. In order for this mode of command to be effective you should request frequent sit reps from elements so they are sure to be moving on task. Every X amount of minutes require them to report their status and current location. Consider ordering them to mark their locstat on the map in side/command or have them orally report to you, in which case you should write down their locations.

2. Squad leaders must be more competent than average and have a basic knowledge of military tactics. More than just "a guy with a mic."

3. Consider using your XO as a "mini me" and go-to micromanager in the AO, generally ensuring the operation goes successfully. There's a delay: dispatch the XO. Let him square it away while you deal with strategic placement. Ensure your XO is more than an empty uniform, ready and willing to take over if you have technical issues and must retire or if you are KIA. You should be able to trust your XO as an advisor.

Random advice:

Keep a writing pad and PENCIL (not pen) handy at all times while commanding. Write down the command structure before you tell the admins to start the mission. Write down: leaders of elements, designations, vehicles/capabilities. Optional/recommended: 2nd in command for those elements.

Before starting conceptualize a signals/com system in which elements can communicate amongst eachother (EXTREMELY important for directive control) and report to you. This can include telling elements where to go on TeamSpeak, orders for VON discipline and radio procedure.

Comment

This is my second day in TG, and I must say - that what all I want from OFP life.

Also Dimitrius russian name and I'm russian, so was very interesting to play with man, who have that great name.:-)
      I joined to first TG night at morning(i'm living in Moscow) and forget about member names etc, and just launched A2 and started listening orders. Was funny - I had no imagination who leading me in TS2 with great command skills and fast response:-).
      After the brake, I got in TS2 and heard message from Dimitrius like(it was Dimitrius, you can find me on forum), after that the thing comes to my brain - "wow! that was Dimitrius who typed long post about first expirience on forum"!.

So, keep it up, you doint great work.:)
      Also thank for friendship request, it's a big honour for me to friend with Dimitrius!:)

Comment

I really like your commanding style. I'm new here but that day with you commanding and Call911 being my team leader was best arma experience so far. Keep up a good work. :)

I would like to join to your future events. But as I said before, I'm noob. I can't take a lead. Just a regular soldier.

Comment

Directive control is only possible with a firm trust in the competence of your subordinate officers. Micromanaging is the end result of a lack of this trust, whether due to incompetence on the subordinate's part or paranoia on the commander's.

Comment

Originally posted by weezerr View Post
            this is my second day in tg, and i must say - that what all i want from ofp life.

Also dimitrius russian name and i'm russian, so was very interesting to play with man, who have that great name.:-)
            i joined to first tg night at morning(i'm living in moscow) and forget about member names etc, and just launched a2 and started listening orders. Was funny - i had no imagination who leading me in ts2 with great command skills and fast response:-).
            After the brake, i got in ts2 and heard message from dimitrius like(it was dimitrius, you can find me on forum), after that the thing comes to my brain - "wow! That was dimitrius who typed long post about first expirience on forum"!.

So, keep it up, you doint great work.:)
            also thank for friendship request, it's a big honour for me to friend with dimitrius!:)
            Почетность, котор нужно быть вашим другом

=)

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

Originally posted by Deuss View Post
              I really like your commanding style. I'm new here but that day with you commanding and Call911 being my team leader was best arma experience so far. Keep up a good work. :)

I would like to join to your future events. But as I said before, I'm noob. I can't take a lead. Just a regular soldier.
              Thank you Deuss. It will be good to have you in our events.

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

I agree with you Dimitrius. I have been looking to gather a good group of people that would perform well in a team like this. TG has allot of great people but looking to form a team of some really good people that know how to use comms.

Comment

Originally posted by natemoe View Post
                  I agree with you Dimitrius. I have been looking to gather a good group of people that would perform well in a team like this. TG has allot of great people but looking to form a team of some really good people that know how to use comms.
                  What you describe is called an IHS. You can become a Supporting Member and form one/join one like the 1st lead by Viper, 303rd lead by Jackbauer or my own 353rd.

If you cannot afford to become a SM the irregs have alot of great guys and do thier own events sometimes. IHS are the backbone of TG, it is for people looking for well run small squad tactics/friends to play with.

Comment

What does "supporting member" mean? Donating funds to TG? I am interested in doing that. What are the benefits?

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/tactica...tml#post855892

Comment

I played that night too, with you Dimitrius. Call911 was my commander before you asked for volunteers to man the M1A1 and later on the Bradley - I am Ender in game. I'm still waiting for my M&M's. =)

I would love to play more games under your command! It was a blast!
                        Also Known As; ENDER

Comment

*tosses Ender his bag of M&Ms* Good job soldier.

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

Scope makes a very good point about directive control, and I hope that trust is something that people will make an effort to try to have. Even if you aren't sure if a squad leader is up to the task of fulfilling the CO's intent/directives, try anyway to give him room for initiative and decision. Without doing so we'll never shape good enough squad leaders, and commanders won't learn to rely on them.

Comment

Originally posted by Inkompetent View Post
                              Scope makes a very good point about directive control, and I hope that trust is something that people will make an effort to try to have. Even if you aren't sure if a squad leader is up to the task of fulfilling the CO's intent/directives, try anyway to give him room for initiative and decision. Without doing so we'll never shape good enough squad leaders, and commanders won't learn to rely on them.
                              ...? Do people not see my posts or something?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X