Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New communication method for mission makers?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New communication method for mission makers?

Tell me what you think about this idea, I've been mulling it over a little during the past day or so.

Each squad will have a designated radio man, with the radio pack. Via some sort of script, anyone with a radio pack will be in this group. This will enforce to some degree proper communication, as everything will be relayed through a radio man. For example, you are a SL, you make contact. You go to your radio man and tell him on direct what needs to be told to command. He presses his key to talk on group, relays it to commands radio-man... you get the picture.

This means all inter-squad chat would be on direct (I don't know how realistic this is regarding modern radio equipment which may be carried by every soldier these days). It would also cut down on crosstalk (maybe).

As I began writing this I realised that there would still be side chat - this is a problem with the idea of course, but it won't affect inter-squad comms much as they are not likely to want to bother the whole side just to talk to theit team-mates. It will be a temptation for SLs to use it of course though...

Just an idea. I've always thought a better comms system could be added and it would improve things, as comms is often a problem. Hopefully ACE can introduce something one day.
    "Can't waste a day when the night brings a hearse
    So make a move and plead the fifth 'cause you can't plead the first."

Interesting Articles__________News
    tinyurl.com/PipelineGeopolitics_____prisonplanet.com
    tinyurl.com/USTrainGeorgia_______globalresearch.ca
    tinyurl.com/Rumsfeld-GeorgianDM__engdahl.oilgeopolitics.net
    tinyurl.com/Georgia3rdinIraq

Re: New communication method for mission makers?

Will be more troublesome keeping groups together with that. And there's Channel Commander in TS2 for a reason ;)

If you want radio operators to be ones talking, just specify that those should be the ones using Channel Commander :)

Comment

afaik modern armies all have personal voice coms, i.e group. so removing the group chat would be silly imo

Comment

not completely tru browna, depends on unit/branch/mission in the US. I have been in convoys in the AO where only 1 guy in the HMMWV had a radio or Sat phone+Plus HMMWV baystation. Also have been on AAA missions where our sq had a radioman/Comm's. But if you mean personal as in each soldier has a radio, I have heard this, mainly from my brother in the army but have never been in a detail with that setup (Besides stateside as a cop lol, yay motorola LE edition....SUX)

Comment

if we wanted intra-squad comms we had to buy radios out of our own pocket. so yeah we had em...but not because the army wanted us to. plus it seemed like every radio we found liked to BEEP when someone pushed the PTT button so most of the time we just relied on good ol hand and arm signals.
          "Lay down your soul to the gods rock and roll!" - Venom, 'Black Metal'

Comment

well the brits have them. that i know for a fact.

personal role radios or PRR is issued to every member of an eight-strong infantry section.
            http://www.army.mod.uk/equipment/personal/1454.aspx

Comment

Is there any way hand signals could be added to the game?

Comment

awww man. that headset is jacking up her beret :(
                Last edited by RagingHate; 01-11-2010, 09:54 AM.
                "Lay down your soul to the gods rock and roll!" - Venom, 'Black Metal'

Comment

we have that funtion. If the SL uses the space bar it unlocks lots of silent commands that he can issue to the squad. Such as, halt, move there, etc. And with the "move there" you get a fancy diamond on the screen at the location your SL wanted you to move. If you want silent commands thats your best bet.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Channel Commander, pretty much does the job.

Comment

I think we did this every now and then in arma1 didn't we? I remember doing something where only certain people could talk and it was allot of fun. Your SL would get shot and you had to recover the radio to get comms with command back.

It might not be the most fitting for now, but mission makers can set the date back to the '85 or you could be playing as insurgents with less advanced equipment. In my ACE missions I try to add some radio packs in case a Commander wants to give something like this a try.

You could also do something like handhelds for group channel communication, but require a backpack radio for talking in side or command.

Comment

If we just used VoN the radio idea would be interesting. but there is no way to implement it into TS afaik. Right now lets just concentrate on getting everyone to use TS and establish good comms, then we can work out the finer points

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Originally posted by tralicrifleman View Post

You could also do something like handhelds for group channel communication, but require a backpack radio for talking in side or command.
                          Used to do this way back when in Arma1 ACE on a few of the WAC missions. All players would be in one TS channel, if you had a radio pack (Section leader, Platoon leader, etc) you would go to a different channel. That channel would be the Platoon radio net. If you died/lost the radio, you leave the channel. If you get a radio (ie: take it from your leader's recently dead-body) you join the Platoon radio net channel.

It worked pretty well, until there was casualties. Alt-tabbing to change channels was a bit "scary" for most people, they were worried it would crash their game, and rightly so. I and a few other people tried to advocate TS keybinds, but it never caught on.

Now that a large majority of people have working keybinds (or should), and Arma2 is more friendly to alt-tabbing (for some at least), I'd love to give this a try again.

Comment

We wouldnt even need seperate squads really just the channel command function. SL has the radio so he has channel command on. if/when he dies next person in the chain of command picks it up and turns on his channel commander.

[unit][squadl][command2]

Comment

Ah, well, the whole point of it was to force use of Direct channel, and if you REALLY couldn't handle that, group.

VON seemed to work a bit better in Arma1, so this might not be as possible in Arma2.

Also had a bit more of a physical aspect of having to find and equip the radio pack before you could assume command. Made the whole ordeal more complex and nerve-wracking than *press button*, *take command* :)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X