Poll for those with an understanding of tactical gaming

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poll for those with an understanding of tactical gaming

What I want from you reading this thread: category and topic suggestions to cover.

This guide is designed to be read in 20 minutes or less, as an alternative to the huge alternative guides currently in existence. Most sections are intentionally left incomplete; things you can figure out on your own easily are not overviewed. I’m not going to tell you how to take cover, fire your weapon or any of that – that stuff you can figure out on your own. The stuff in this guide is geared to help you understand military concepts and tactics which you cannot otherwise learn from the game.

Topics currently included:

BASIC STUFF - what each role is on a mission (grunt through platoon CO), what each element does.
    FORMATIONS - only the ones which are actually used.
    SPACING
    OVERWATCH
    WHEN TO FIRE, WHEN NOT TO FIRE
    KNOCKING OUT VEHICLES
    I DON’T HAVE AT! - a section on how you can still be effective
    BASIC METHOD OF ENGAGING AN ENEMY FORCE - maneuver by base of fire tutorial
    BASIC TIPS FOR AVOIDING ENGAGEMENT BY AN ENEMY FORCE
    SLOPES AND WHY THEY ARE IMPORTANT
    LINE OF SIGHT
    ARMORED WARFARE, HOW TO DO IT
    “HULL DOWN”
    SIMPLE TC (TANK COMMANDER) SPEAK FOR EFFECTIVE TEAMWORK
    “WINGMAN”ING
    COMBINED ARMS ATTACK SIMPLE FORMATION AND PLAN
    MAP READING - how to report 6/8 digit grids, how to read hill numbers, how to report contacts on a map
    COMPASS AND REPORTING CONTACTS
    HOW TO PLAY AT TG - a run down of the entire process of joining and playing on a server
    COMMUNICATION - barebones radio procedure guide

For those interested in the current revision of the guide, here's the first rough draft:

http://www.krauselabs.net/dump/KrauseGuide.pdf

Re: Poll for those with an understanding of tactical gaming

Thanks Kause, as I am to to TG, this is highly appreciated. Because English is not my native language, especially the topic converning radio traffic was of great value to me.

Steffen
    Greets, Steffen

Comment

I see no poll.
      "Lay down your soul to the gods rock and roll!" - Venom, 'Black Metal'

Comment

Originally posted by RagingHate View Post
        I see no poll.
        I suppose more accurately it is a survey. I want to know what other topics to include in my guide. These are just the ones I came up with last night while writing.

Comment

A pretty good guide

Comment

Have a part that essentially says that all missions can be seen as a work in progress and that if you exploit the missions bugs that you will be breaking down the structure of the mission and ruining everyone's fun.
            If you wanna find me off TG
            Xbox live- fusionpo0
            Steam Username - 0hilla27/fusionpoo
            Xfire - fusionpoo

Comment

Originally posted by Eavy Gunner View Post
              Dyslexci's guide is great, but it doesn't fill the niche I am attempting to fill: a crash course for newbies to understand the TG play style in under 20 minutes.

Fusion: cc.
              Last edited by tyrspawn; 01-11-2010, 05:54 PM.

Comment

I didn't read it yet, but your list on contents doesn't include navigation when the server is on a higher difficulty so you have no marker of your current position on the map and no GPS. That would be something you might want to add if it isn't already in it, and I agree as awesome as dyslexci's guide is it takes forever to read the whole thing. So some sort of crash course would be nice for lazy people.

Comment

I recently added:

FIRE SECTORS
                  KNOW HOW MEDICS WORK

As well as expanding several pre-existing sections.

tral: will consider that, but its hard to teach someone. I have been taught map navigation before but never really learned how to do it until I had lots of opportunities to practice. I tried to write a section on it... but realized it was too vague to be useful (about visualizing what you are seeing on the map as opposed to what is in front of you). It's a problem I am having... I am currently thinking of a way to introduce people to how to do it without it becoming 50 page treatise.

Comment

tyrspawn,
                    Great initiative. Maybe you can ask the IHS fellas for some their input too.
                    Keep up the great work.

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

This is excellent Tyr. It's hard for most new players to get into ArmA. Not many know what to expect but finding a guide that is a great started and not overwhelming is vital to the new player that comes to TG or any community out there. It can be hard for a new player to get into ArmA if they really aren't sure about what they should do as a individual.

Outstanding!
                      FORMER 22ND RRR/FORMER 1ST JTOC/ ALWAYS A TACTICALGAMER

Spartan 4

Comment

Great idea! The only piece of advice I have is bounce every topic off the question "Do I need to know this to be a Rifleman in a squad?"

If the answer is no, drop it, or preferably save it for an advanced primer for FTL or SQL. If you do this I think you will get your desired 'Intro to Arma 2 on TG' guide that will actually take 15 or 20 minutes to read.
                        The Don Abides...

Comment

Donegal makes a very good point in regards to "Do I need to know this to be a Rifleman in a squad?"

New players are not and probably shouldn't, no offense, be flying or be in a tank or anything like that. Any new player wants to be useful in a mission then causing problems.
                          FORMER 22ND RRR/FORMER 1ST JTOC/ ALWAYS A TACTICALGAMER

Spartan 4

Comment

Originally posted by viper1986 View Post
                            Donegal makes a very good point in regards to "Do I need to know this to be a Rifleman in a squad?"

New players are not and probably shouldn't, no offense, be flying or be in a tank or anything like that. Any new player wants to be useful in a mission then causing problems.
                            There's always the option of breaking it up into 20-minute "info-packages". New players read just the rifleman package. You can then have other packages for first-time tank drivers and chopper pilots, that run them through stuff that they should have hopefully picked up by the time they slot up as one.

edit: Tank package 101: why you need to get your damn front armor facing the enemy, and the wonders of hull-down.

Comment

I'd be willing to work with some other players and turn these from documents into introductory videos, which could be posted on Youtube and elsewhere, introducing new players to TG gameplay in 10 minutes, with links to supporting documentation elaborating on concepts.

If the leader is filled with high ambition and if he pursues his aims with audacity and strength of will, he will reach them in spite of all obstacles.
                              -Carl Von Clausewitz

'The Great Game' -Blog on War in Afghanistan:

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...