Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poll: Prerequsits for Tactical Gamer Question 3.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poll: Prerequsits for Tactical Gamer Question 3.

Following on from question 2 in the series.
    <75
    0.00%
    <150
    13.10%
    <250
    46.43%
    <500
    29.76%
    Players should never be kicked on the basis of ping.
    10.71%

Re: Poll: Prerequsits for Tactical Gamer Question 3.

I answered 250 because it still allows us europeans to play while not entirely destroying things for others in coops and only a bit in TvTs. The next limit, 500, is also way too much.

Comment

yeah 250 makes you curl your lip buts its livable. 500 and you might as well not even bother playing.
      "Lay down your soul to the gods rock and roll!" - Venom, 'Black Metal'

Comment

I too voted for less than 250: one thing I noticed about ArmA is that as long as the server is set up properly and runs on a decent machine, a ping of almost 200 will not impact negatively on the gameplay experience. It might do on some of the most extensive and script-heavy missions, but save for those I never noticed any difference between me playing with a ping of about 160 and playing with a ping of 50.
        Also, we Euro-folks get to play too :D
        sigpic

Now with 200% more content!

Comment

I know nothing of the technical side of ArmA 2 but I'll make a suggestion that could compromise between two opinions some may have. Maybe instead of making sure NO <250 ping allowed on the server maybe allow a certain amount of people (i.e. 3-6 players, just an example not advocating it) with <250 ping. Although that would add to ArmA 2 administrators workload.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaze89 View Post
            I know nothing of the technical side of ArmA 2 but I'll make a suggestion that could compromise between two opinions some may have. Maybe instead of making sure NO <250 ping allowed on the server maybe allow a certain amount of people (i.e. 3-6 players, just an example not advocating it) with <250 ping. Although that would add to ArmA 2 administrators workload.
            Jaze i think you mean >250 :p

Well since HOT started hosting the alpha (maybe bravo....leave me alone....im hung over) server my ping has reached an all time TG low. I average 70 now whereas before it was in the 150-250 region. No more teleporting AI for me :)
            Nihility

Comment

Most aussie players have 250ish ping but don't lag the server, once ping jumps to 350 then things start to get laggy.
              |TG-73rd|Socomseal
              |TG-73rd Member| Former TG Irregular ArmA Platoon Leader| Former TG ArmA Admin XO| TG Pathfinder - Spartan 1 |TGU ArmA Instructor |Former TG-18th Member| |Former TG-1st Member|

"Its easy to argue about issues from afar. But until you have experienced the issue first hand, you have not seen all the facts."

Carver you will be cut off for a long time before reinforcements can reach you "I am the reinforcements the main force is only coming to bring me body bags and to clean up the mess Im about to make" - General Carver

Comment

Wrong thread Socom? :)

Comment

i dont think we anyone should be kicked due to ping. as tbh how can we even be sure that a bad ping creates server lag?

Comment

Well, higher ping creates more desync since it takes a longer time to send data back and forth between server and client. I don't know if there's any good data though on HOW much it affects desync. However it is often claimed that the bandwidth is more important than the ping in ArmA due to the amount of data that constantly is streamed between server and client.

Comment

250 only because we have a euro and NA server. Below that and we seperate the groups.

Comment

I would say 300 if that was an option but 250 is fine I guess. Sometimes I see the european hosted server around 250 for me and I live on the west coast of Canada. The other server is always around 60-70 for me.

Damnit Blizzard, fix ZvT already >.<
                        In Soviet Russian, Arma admins are nice to you!

Comment

im from australia, i consistently get 240 ping. i have a good pc and can run the game on high settings with this ping and never get lag
                          sigpic
                          excuse my poor english, im australian

Comment

My ping is 230+- from Brasil...

I never experienced any kind of lag.

As we have only servers on USA and UK, all the rest of the world would be prohibited to play on TG if we start kicking players with 250 of ping.

Sapientiam Autem Non Vincit Malitia

Comment

Ping should not generally be the deciding factor, as it has very little to do with ArmA MP performance. (within reason)

Bandwidth is what matters in ArmA. A person with low bandwidth will almost always be what causes issues in MP. Low bandwidth can also be accompanied by high pings, of course, but not always. Low bandwidth is what will get people to 'hang up' others who are trying to connect, or get heavily desynced. A low-bandwidth player in a desync state can do a ton of damage to the scenario if they ever fully sync back up. For example, if someone has low bandwidth and desyncs before running into an enemy compound, the enemies may see him start stop in place outside (assuming they see him at all), and any attempts to shoot him will be futile. From his POV, he is still moving and now in an enemy position. Everyone he sees will be doing whatever they were doing at the point of him desyncing - ie, crouching in position or whatnot. He can then run through the compound, shoot everyone, run out the other side, and in the event that he syncs back up (without being kicked/losing connection entirely), the client-side hit detection will tell the server that hey, so-and-so just killed players X, Y, Z, etc, even though those players never once saw their supposed killer. That's why bandwidth is so important in A2.. and, of course, bear in mind that low bandwidth becomes more of a concern the more players are on, and the more demanding the scenario is, as their restricted pipe is unable to deal with the increased amount of data trying to get to it.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X