Poll: Near and Middle-Eastern Insurgent Units/PMC's/SEALs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poll: Near and Middle-Eastern Insurgent Units/PMC's/SEALs

So, being thrilled naturally that desert maps (specific to actual contemporary warzones in Iraq and Afghanistan) are coming our way through CAA1, courtesy of the gracious admins, I thought I'd conduct a summary poll of the playerbase to support or debunk a theory I've got.

We've seen a lot of missions in ARMA2 over the time that I've been playing here at least, that are attempting to simulate various types of combat in various scenarios. I've seen maps set on Chernarus or Aiktalik which talk about killing Al-Qaeda members or Taliban and pit the players against these enemies who are represented in the gameplay mode by what I will term 'placeholder' characters in Chernarussian Insurgent garb, notably white, with russian voices and forest/urban pattern Eastern European guerrilla camouflage.

At least from my perspective, persistence with the use of these placeholders, especially for maps focused on counterinsurgency or small-unit afghan-village patrols will be to some degree immersion breaking. It certainly will not do justice to the capability our talented mission makers have to create realistic, convincing and accurate cooperative or competitive scenarios if we just keep recycling the same old generic 'bad guys' in new ways.

I posted in another thread (duly closed. probably for off-topic) a query as to whether there were going to be middle-eastern type units included with this map pack. In response an admin told me that to the best of his knowledge ACE2 devs would be releasing arab insurgent models in a future release of ace. I will now direct you to the thread discussing that particular feature request: http://dev-heaven.net/issues/show/7374

3 hours (approximately) before this post was made, the status on the project was set to 'maybe, probably, perhaps'. Progress is listed at 0%. A similar request had previously been made regarding the application of desert textures to vehicles for use on those same desert maps for which the arab insurgent models are being requested. That thread can be located here: http://dev-heaven.net/issues/show/7162. The status on that request is 'Rejected'. The reason for the rejection is:
    Xeno: Still no one has done vehicle replacements ?

Let's wait for OA, maybe then we have it.
    *Note OA means Operation *Arrowhead* (Archer was an Afghanistan Op.) the announced expansion release for ARMA 2. (If anybody has a final release date for OA, I'm all ears, by the way.)

So, even though the arab insurgents feature request appears to be grinding underway, I'm hesitant to believe that somebody will invest hours and hours in content development which will become invalid as soon as OA breaks to the public. This concerns me because it means we may be playing with the same old chernarussian 'placeholder' models on desert maps (of which we now have 4) for anywhere from 1 month to a year (or until OA is released).

This isn't just a complaint or worrywort thread without a solution, quite to the contrary we do have an existing alternative. I present to you the 'Desert Mercenaries' Addon, available to all on Armaholic.

The link for this addon is as follows:
    http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=6471

It contains literally hundreds of new units including Blackops, Blackwater, Middle-Eastern Terrorists(perfect for Avgani), Taliban (Perfect for Afghan Village), Navy Seals, Gangstas (Banging the Gangs, anybody?) and dozens of variations of course, on each particular faction.

Some screenshots:
    Taliban:
    [media]http://www.armaholic.com/datas/users/4-talibani.jpg[/media]
    Blackwater:
    [media]http://www.armaholic.com/datas/users/2661-blackwater.jpg[/media]
    Middle Eastern Terrorists:
    [media]http://www.armaholic.com/datas/users/4-terroristk.jpg[/media]

Cons:

1. The addon is 143mb in size. Given that the new map pack totals a whopping 1GB in size, this addition is a drop in the proverbial ocean of what is now 'getting started at TG'

2. ACE2 Devs 'Maybe, Probably, Perhaps' will release similar models (or even the same addons in their pack).

3. Somebody might be politically offended for whatever reason.

4. OA might come out causing people to have to update mission units with the new factions when TG drops the mod (if anybody still plays those maps).

Pros:

1. Increased immersion on new maps. We get to shoot at something other than Russians.

2. The inclusion of these units which give MASSIVE potential for mission makers to create dynamic and original or historically based co-operative missions (which respondents in the community voted overwhelmingly for in another poll.)

3. Somebody might be politically offended for whatever reason.

4. The addon is currently ACE2 compatible.

Now, I have absolutely no say in anything that gets done. Nor am I aiming to. I just have a hunch as I elaborated at the beginning of this post, that there are members of the community who will be enchanted by the notion of increased realism on these new maps and who desire the opportunity to put this wonderful ARMA 2 engine to work, living out the experiences of contemporary COIN and Assymetrical warfare. So I posted this up with a detailed and I feel, respectful explanation of why I think this critical addition needs to be brought into the purview of the playing community here at Tactical Gamer ARMA 2. The above poll is a democratic means of gauging the level of support for this kind of addition, if not this particular addition to the play experience.

Sincerely,
    H. Rearden.
    Yes, this would be a valuable addition for reasons detailed here (or others not mentioned.)
    74.55%
    No, there is no need for this kind of content, the stock models are good enough.
    16.36%
    I don't really care.
    9.09%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by Hank Rearden; 01-17-2010, 08:20 AM.

If the leader is filled with high ambition and if he pursues his aims with audacity and strength of will, he will reach them in spite of all obstacles.
    -Carl Von Clausewitz

'The Great Game' -Blog on War in Afghanistan:

Re: Poll: Near and Middle-Eastern Insurgent Units/PMC's/SEALs

just be aware that this thread is being monitored at all times and will be closed if it gets off track...... it will be left open JUST for discussion only, the administrations welcomes discussions of this sort, but right now NOTHING is being added besides what is already stated through caa1.

"TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population....Tactical Gamer is not mainstream. We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers" ~ Apophis

Comment

Terrorists Only. I do not think we need seals or PMC's, they can both be ACU spec ops, but we do not have 'good' terrorists.
      |TG|Ghost02
      TG Pathfinder

"I travel alone through the valley of the shadow of death, yet in my heart I carry no fear, for Gods hands will guide me to Truth and Honor."

Comment

Now with Avgani... man... WE NEED INSURGENTS.

PMC would be AWESOME too.

Sapientiam Autem Non Vincit Malitia

Comment

Insurgents for sure, i honestly can say i can't stand playing on a map like avgani and playing with russian insurgents

Comment

Yes, I think this will be a great addition to the desert maps. (I hope we start fading out the use of European based maps.)

I see an interesting mission w/ Blufor SF and Blackwater as indepentent in the making.
            |TG-Irr| Charlie Foxtrot

"Beyond this place of wrath and tears
            Looms but the Horror of the shade,
            And yet the menace of the years
            Finds and shall find me unafraid."

Nominate Someone For A Ribbon Today

Comment

I think OA stands for Operation Arrowhead ... http://www.arma2.com/arrowhead/

I really like this "Seals in Afghanistan" video ...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Plk8fRSsrgc[/media]

It's a simple mission to capture Rosie Khan but it reminds me of an ArmA2 mission.

Anyway ... I'm all for realism.
              || Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 3.6GHz || BFG NVidia GeForce GTX 285 OCX || Sound Blaster X-Fi || 4 Gig OCZ Reaper DDR2 || Vista 32bit (sucks) ||

Comment

Would be a really nice addition. Several of the merc-pack units I can be without, but many would be very, very nice additions. Upon a quick inspection of the config it also seems like the issue some units had (the mercenaries to be specific) had with screwed up eventhandlers seem to be fixed, so indeed the "Pro #4" should be true :)

Comment

Originally posted by CFoxtrot View Post
                  ... (I hope we start fading out the use of European based maps.) ...
                  Why?

Not everyone wants to play in exclusively desert environments.

Comment

Originally posted by beita View Post
                    Why?

Not everyone wants to play in exclusively desert environments.
                    lol i sure do :p

Comment

Originally posted by DXfan01 View Post
                      lol i sure do :p
                      And I would be content with never playing a desert + insurgent mission ... :P

Comment

Have you checked out these Rearden?, They weigh in at 32mb
                        http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=8146

In a world of Herp, one man dares to Derp.

Comment

I see no reason to include more BLUFOR models than we already have. However, I think Rearden raises good points with regards to insurgent models and the possibilities of desert warfare in the coming days.

Comment

I would like to see some desert insurgents too, but no strong opinion on the rest.

Scope needs an avatar picture.

Comment

short answer to this question is: NO

sorry guys but were not gonna start adding more mods. first it will be this, then it will be something else. Just suck it up and use the units that are already in and wait for ace. besides what game play changes will new units have? None there just aesthetic changes.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X