I like driving and want to do more of it

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I like driving and want to do more of it

I got to drive some last night, a Bradley I think, and I really enjoyed it. I enjoy it more than being infantry. I enjoyed working with other people in the vehicle in a combat situation fun stuff. I'm going to read up and practice this stuff. So if you need a driver let me know!

Re: I like driving and want to do more of it

I am Scope, and I approve of this post. +1 for you, sir!

Comment

if you have nikov as your gunner/commander, then you'll love it!
      sigpic
      excuse my poor english, im australian

Comment

Then you gonna love my new mission for Avgani...

3 Bradley and 2 MTRV...
        Find ammo caches in the town and destroy enemy camp.

Sapientiam Autem Non Vincit Malitia

Comment

You were the M1A1 driver we had earlier, with Dredge, fireship4, and I.
          that was a good game, proto, GG
          sigpic
          PR - ArmA2
          "Enemy machine gunner in a field of pink flowers, over" - azzwort

Comment

Proto Arcto here from earlier in the m1a1. Good job. Comms were a bloody mess at the start(not really anyones fault) but we put up a good fight in a 2 man tank! (3 t-72's and multiple hostiles)
            We got blown up by an IED on a road we had allready driven down :) Crafty insurgents!
            Ill crew with ya again as commander if i see you about. Just dont eat the sweets i hide in the ammo hold.
            Nihility

Comment

We could probably stand to have a dedicated armour/reconnaissance/logistics operators IHS around here as that's what really turns my crank.

@W-Cephei, the standard Bradley platoon consists of 4 (four) Bradleys, though one of those may be a linebacker depending on mission profile. This link has everything you need to make a convincing and accurate BFV-centric mission loadout for blufor guys. :D Enjoy. http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...21-71/appa.htm

In response to the OP, do you drive with your keyboard or with a wheel/pedals? I drive with the latter and it's like Formula 1 tank driving. I'd say we should drive together, but that's sort of... impossible. So we should drive while in the same platoon formation sometime, I'd like to see your style.

If the leader is filled with high ambition and if he pursues his aims with audacity and strength of will, he will reach them in spite of all obstacles.
              -Carl Von Clausewitz

'The Great Game' -Blog on War in Afghanistan:

Comment

Hey protobob, nice of you to join. Having people that like doing more supporting roles like being a dedicated vehicle driver is always welcome, and if you have a competent crew with you (like last night ;) ) you will have fun even if you don't get to shoot at people (I know I did almost every time I was the driver :) ).

Slightly OOT but I'm thinking that wouldn't it be nice to have a course on tank/IFV/APC operations like we did with airborne assaults and basic infantry training? :D
                sigpic

Now with 200% more content!

Comment

Originally posted by Merula View Post
                  Slightly OOT but I'm thinking that wouldn't it be nice to have a course on tank/IFV/APC operations like we did with airborne assaults and basic infantry training? :D
                  Not off topic, its a good question. Let me be the first to tell you that we have a Bradley IFV training course on the way. It has been modeled off of the actuall course that the US Army runs. :D Keep your eyes open for the sign up.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Thanks for the words guys!

I think I earned my first tank merit badge in one game... both tracks were red and the the tank wouldn't go forward (except maybe at a snails pace on flat ground), but it would turn left pretty well and right a little bit. Anyway, I started playing around and I found that if I pressed forward and left it would circle around to the left fairly quickly, and if I then pressed forward and right when I was pointing in the direction I wanted to go, it would move forward at a decent speed. Obstacles would stop it though, and I was smack in the middle of some kind of orchard. I eventually got it out of there, and over some hills (after much circling) and managed to get it back to base repaired and back into combat. Good times.

Hank: I can't say I have a style (other than following orders), I still learning the dynamics of the various vehicles. I'm using keyboard. Is there any kind of analog throttle? Why can't dev's map things like that to the mouse wheel? See you in game.

Dredge: Awesome, I'll keep my eyes open for that.

Comment

You could allways buy a really cheap joystick just to use the throttle. Im sure you could pick one up second hand for $10 somewhere.
                      Nihility

Comment

Ya, I've contemplated acquiring a throttle for use in armour, since they only use a wheel/throttle/brake. Anybody who has driven or worked on armour know whether there are two separate throttles (similar to say a skid-steer loader or bulldozer) which drive each track independently? I know that the Leopard 2 uses a steering wheel. Donno whether tanks have an RPM 'rabbit or turtle' mode governing engine RPMs. Do these things use hydraulic systems or airbrakes? I'd be interested in configuring my own control setup as accurately as possible for armoured operations.

If the leader is filled with high ambition and if he pursues his aims with audacity and strength of will, he will reach them in spite of all obstacles.
                        -Carl Von Clausewitz

'The Great Game' -Blog on War in Afghanistan:

Comment

Originally posted by Hank Rearden View Post
                          Anybody who has driven or worked on armour know whether there are two separate throttles (similar to say a skid-steer loader or bulldozer) which drive each track independently?
                          Not any more. Modern Abrams tanks have a motorcycle handlebar set up. All you do is turn it like you are riding a bike

Donno whether tanks have an RPM 'rabbit or turtle' mode governing engine RPMs.
                          Yes the do but is mostly for maintenence purposes and warming the engine or emptying the tanks for movement on trains

Do these things use hydraulic systems or airbrakes?
                          Hydraulic.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

@W-Cephei, the standard Bradley platoon consists of 4 (four) Bradleys, though one of those may be a linebacker depending on mission profile. This link has everything you need to make a convincing and accurate BFV-centric mission loadout for blufor guys. :D Enjoy. http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...21-71/appa.htm

This doesn't make sense... the Bradley on ACE2 can only carry 6 people, minus the Driver, Gunner and Commander...

with 6 ppl you cant make even 2 FTs.

Sapientiam Autem Non Vincit Malitia

Comment

Originally posted by W-Cephei View Post
                              This doesn't make sense... the Bradley on ACE2 can only carry 6 people, minus the Driver, Gunner and Commander...

with 6 ppl you cant make even 2 FTs.
                              Yeah dont look at the diagram. I just looked and it has one of the squad members riding in the "hell hole" which is a very small area behind the driver. Its 99% impossible to get in and out of there with full gear on. you have to use the drivers hatch, something you wouldnt do in combat. You can fit him on one of the benches but its a very tight fit. Normally you only have 6 dismounts in the brad. That diagram is a little "off" lol.

[unit][squadl][command2]

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X