Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Create More Missions With Standard Ammo In Ruck?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Create More Missions With Standard Ammo In Ruck?

I'm ever so happy with ACE2 and all the goodies it comes packed with. How ever it is frustrating that sometimes, and especially in re-spawn missions, that we have to gear up over and over. (Especially the medical equipment that gets lost on the battlefield)

We have missions where infantry comes loaded out with the most important/necessary gear and I find that it is a good idea that we make this standard. But who am I to say what goes? I wanna know what YOU think:)

Maybe we can reach out to the mission makers to do this for us:)..

Gr!mmy,

Re: Create More Missions With Standard Ammo In Ruck?

If someone has a script that reprocesses a units init upon respawn I'd be -thrilled- and -overjoyed- to have it.

If the leader is filled with high ambition and if he pursues his aims with audacity and strength of will, he will reach them in spite of all obstacles.
    -Carl Von Clausewitz

'The Great Game' -Blog on War in Afghanistan:

Comment

Ask Ghost02. Made something that does that for him.

Comment

Originally posted by Hank Rearden View Post
        If someone has a script that reprocesses a units init upon respawn I'd be -thrilled- and -overjoyed- to have it.
        I used this and it works just fine:

Universal Weapons Respawn Script

In the initialization field, include the unit name and a 0 or a 1.

0 - spawn with exact same gear as at mission start
        1 - spawn with exact same gear as at time of death

...and init field will contain:

Code:
        ["myUnitName",0] exec "weapons_respawn.sqs";

Cross posted this to the mission forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Gr!mReeper View Post
          I'm ever so happy with ACE2 and all the goodies it comes packed with. How ever it is frustrating that sometimes, and especially in re-spawn missions, that we have to gear up over and over. (Especially the medical equipment that gets lost on the battlefield)

We have missions where infantry comes loaded out with the most important/necessary gear and I find that it is a good idea that we make this standard. But who am I to say what goes? I wanna know what YOU think:)

Maybe we can reach out to the mission makers to do this for us:)..

Gr!mmy,
          You reached out and I respond. Will do.
          |TG|Ghost02
          TG Pathfinder

"I travel alone through the valley of the shadow of death, yet in my heart I carry no fear, for Gods hands will guide me to Truth and Honor."

Comment

<3

If the leader is filled with high ambition and if he pursues his aims with audacity and strength of will, he will reach them in spite of all obstacles.
            -Carl Von Clausewitz

Comment

Originally posted by Hank Rearden View Post
              <3
              Awww...

Also, here's an init block I use for corpsman (assumes the corpsman class already inits with a ruck, which they usually do):

Code:
              this setvariable ["ACE_RuckMagContents",[["ACE_Bandage",24], ["ACE_Morphine",24], ["ACE_Epinephrine",24]]];this addMagazine "smokeshell";this addMagazine "smokeshell";this addMagazine "smokeshell";
              24 bandages (ruck)
              24 morphines (ruck)
              24 epinephrines (ruck)
              3 smoke grenades (added to inventory)

Also cross posted to mission forum

Add this to the init, and add the Universal Weapon Respawn Script at the end, and your corpsman will always be ready to roll.

Comment

<3 you ArmA community!

Comment

Put all the code from the init-line into a scipt and re-run that everytime the units spawns. Or, build them all in to a pack of scripts that gives gear according to roles, etc...

It's funny though that most complain it takes too long to start missions because of having to go to the crates in most of them, yet practically every time we fire up a mission where the gear is already packed you can hear someone saying "OMG What is all this crap in my rucksack!?!?" :row__523:

Comment

Originally posted by Fincuan View Post
                    Put all the code from the init-line into a scipt and re-run that everytime the units spawns. Or, build them all in to a pack of scripts that gives gear according to roles, etc...
                    I think you missed what I was saying. Someone already wrote a utility script. You can init the unit with whatever you want, just download the Universal Weapons Respawn Script at the link I posted above and ensure the init executes the following line...

Code:
                    ["theUnitName",0] exec "weapons_respawn.sqs";
                    ...and the unit will respawn with the same gear as at mission start. Change that 0 to a 1 and the unit will respawn with whatever gear was being carried at the time of death. You can use it for every unit in the mission, it's encapsulated.

Someone (toadlife/norrin) already did the coding work, I found it on Armaholic. It's from Arma1 actually. It works very well, retains the state of rucks and everything. Here's that link again:

http://arma.ghostaholic.com/page.php?id=1554&ratings=1

It's funny though that most complain it takes too long to start missions because of having to go to the crates in most of them, yet practically every time we fire up a mission where the gear is already packed you can hear someone saying "OMG What is all this crap in my rucksack!?!?" :row__523:
                    Yup, so true. Or they will immediately change the items to a sniper rifle and a Javelin...

Comment

There is one big problem with regards to weapon/ammo retention: not everyone likes the same stuff.

For instance, as a fireteam leader in a mounted infantry platoon, I like the following loadout:

1x M16A4 RCO/M203 or M4A1 SOCOM RCO/M203
                      1x camouflage-appropriate rucksack
                      15x STANAG magazines, no tracers
                      4x M67 frag grenades
                      4x grey smoke grenades
                      2x green smoke grenades
                      2x red smoke grenades
                      10x M203 HE
                      10x M203 grey smoke
                      5x M203 green smoke
                      5x M203 red smoke
                      1x gas mask
                      1x safety goggles
                      1x earplugs

Now, this setup puts me around 25kg and is absolutely perfect for what I want to do and how I want to do them. However, I know that Beta kits out his fireteam leaders in a very different way. All of a sudden, I am disoriented, confused. I'm not particularly fond of what he's put in my rucksack, no matter if it's even remotely similar to what I usually put in it, given the chance.

The point here is that nobody's going to be happy with what someone else has given them. I think that's human nature. So, how do you fix it?

I like to think that the best way to go about encouraging short kit times with appropriate weaponry is simply to be very selective about what you give them to choose from. You are giving the player the illusion of choice by putting an ammo crate in front of them, while removing all the TAC50s and machineguns from it. You are forcing players to pick from a narrow selection of items, but allowing them to do so nonetheless. Players get free choice, within limits.

Comment

Originally posted by 1longtime View Post
                        I think you missed what I was saying. Someone already wrote a utility script.
                        That one only keeps the loadout after respawn if I'm not mistaken, but you still need to initially kit out the unit which is by far the biggest workload. After that's done it's easy to replicate the loadout at respawn or for other units.:icon14:
                        Doing your own loadouts has the benefit of being able to kit out the guys EXACTLY the way you want, and since you know the code it'll be easy to add non-stock stuff like backpacks full of gear, weapons on the back, etc...

Comment

Originally posted by Sc[ + ]pe View Post
                          There is one big problem with regards to weapon/ammo retention: not everyone likes the same stuff.

For instance, as a fireteam leader in a mounted infantry platoon, I like the following loadout:

1x M16A4 RCO/M203 or M4A1 SOCOM RCO/M203
                          1x camouflage-appropriate rucksack
                          15x STANAG magazines, no tracers
                          4x M67 frag grenades
                          4x grey smoke grenades
                          2x green smoke grenades
                          2x red smoke grenades
                          10x M203 HE
                          10x M203 grey smoke
                          5x M203 green smoke
                          5x M203 red smoke
                          1x gas mask
                          1x safety goggles
                          1x earplugs

Now, this setup puts me around 25kg and is absolutely perfect for what I want to do and how I want to do them. However, I know that Beta kits out his fireteam leaders in a very different way. All of a sudden, I am disoriented, confused. I'm not particularly fond of what he's put in my rucksack, no matter if it's even remotely similar to what I usually put in it, given the chance.

The point here is that nobody's going to be happy with what someone else has given them. I think that's human nature. So, how do you fix it?

I like to think that the best way to go about encouraging short kit times with appropriate weaponry is simply to be very selective about what you give them to choose from. You are giving the player the illusion of choice by putting an ammo crate in front of them, while removing all the TAC50s and machineguns from it. You are forcing players to pick from a narrow selection of items, but allowing them to do so nonetheless. Players get free choice, within limits.
                          Did you ever figure out how to make certain players only see certain choices?

That one only keeps the loadout after respawn if I'm not mistaken, but you still need to initially kit out the unit which is by far the biggest workload. After that's done it's easy to replicate the loadout at respawn or for other units.:icon14:
                          Doing your own loadouts has the benefit of being able to kit out the guys EXACTLY the way you want, and since you know the code it'll be easy to add non-stock stuff like backpacks full of gear, weapons on the back, etc...
                          True. I never said the Universal Weapons Respawn script replaces the need to create a loadout (that's why I posted my preferred corpsman init above, for example). But since someone already wrote the replication script, I'll use it.

Comment

I'd just like to say that I'm not overly concerned what people think of my loadout choices. The loadout you give infantry extends or limits their capabilities as per the mission designer's intent. Choice is irrelevant in terms of preferred optics, grenades or ammo types and unrealistic in that soldiers learn to perform their duties with what they have on hand. Special forces operators probably have a higher degree of choice in terms of what task-specific tools they have to employ. Generally speaking, a soldier is going to be issued their gear and be held responsible for maintaining -everything- they are issued. If they don't like what they've been given, I don't think there's much room for dispute about it.

Also: Scope, your loadout contains way too many grenades. I know you have a big backpack, but holy crap... 40mm grenades aren't tiny, and the number of pouches, slings and fanny packs you'd need to accommodate that combat load would render you immobile through sheer range of motion restriction. That's 42 Grenades! That's 6kg of M203's alone, valued at over $900! The weight isn't the issue though, it's the size of the round. I mean that's a -lot- of 203 rounds. I try and limit myself to 4HE, 2x 203 smoke, 2x 203 flare (red, green) and only 2 M67 or 1M67 and 1 Smoke. I do agree with you though that more people need to put earplugs in standard loadouts since PPE is universal, not just selective to the guys with the noisy guns. Everyone else does have to fight around the people with the noisy guns after all. On one of Beita's missions I was the Weapons det squad leader and had my eardrums blown out for over 20mins while directing fire for the M240B's

-Carl Von Clausewitz

Comment

longtime,

Technically, yes, but I scrapped it. Creating local ammo in a universal crate causes major snafus with regards to client-to-client syncing, while creating local crates made the crates themselves do unpredictable things.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X