Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I will command you again, with Krause as my XO, but I need suggestions.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I will command you again, with Krause as my XO, but I need suggestions.

About a month ago Krause and I attempted to run about 70 of you through a mission called Operation Syracuse. It was a major learning experience for myself and TG as a whole. I would refer you to the after action report for further information about that.

-> http://www.tacticalgamer.com/armed-a...-jan-17th.html

Here are my orders to you. I will command another mission. It will be a large group of at least 70. I need advice as to what map/mission can handle such a large group of players reliably and who can I work closely with for mission creation? Krause will be my XO unless he bows out, in which case I would ask Skin or HOTMACHINA to assist my efforts.

Until further notice, that is all.

Feedback is welcomed. Who is interested in this? I want to get it organized, tested, and available for you all ASAP.

Carry on.

Semper TG

Current ARMA Development Project: No Current Project

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Re: I will command you again, with Krause as my XO, but I need suggestions.

Originally posted by Dimitrius View Post
    It will be a large group of at least 70.
    The only way we'd ever get those numbers is if we pooled resources and had an inter-community event (HINT HINT).

Comment

slow down there sir
      I assume you wish to command another sunday event
      there are numerous missions with 40+ units but 70 is a bit of a stretch considering recent low server count
      Just continue taking command on everyday missions until you feel ready to command 70 people. ive commanded 40 and it gets quite hectic with mulitple air,armor and infantry assets
      Talk with the mission developer guys because it seems you want a mission specifically tailored to this "event"
      Until then just take it easy
      If you wanna find me off TG
      Xbox live- fusionpo0
      Steam Username - 0hilla27/fusionpoo
      Xfire - fusionpoo

Comment

I agree with scope and no offense but if we had some sort of inter-community event we would probably need a more experienced co than yourself. again no offense just giant events as you speak of will require a very dedicated and experienced co
        If you wanna find me off TG
        Xbox live- fusionpo0
        Steam Username - 0hilla27/fusionpoo
        Xfire - fusionpoo

Comment

I can build a mission for this.

I've gotten pretty deep into scripting lots of enemies without choking the server. My last mods of Untern Lehrgangen had a very high enemy AI count (up to 300?) and didn't lag because of careful use of AI spawns. I'm basically re-using lots of power scripts from power developers (like Xeno).

Anyway, I'm confident I can build a 70-player mission with a good player experience and without technical issues.

Getting that many players is a completely different question. I would enjoy seeing a combined event too.

Comment

Originally posted by 1longtime View Post
            I can build a mission for this.

I've gotten pretty deep into scripting lots of enemies without choking the server. My last mods of Untern Lehrgangen had a very high enemy AI count (up to 300?) and didn't lag because of careful use of AI spawns. I'm basically re-using lots of power scripts from power developers (like Xeno).

Anyway, I'm confident I can build a 70-player mission with a good player experience and without technical issues.

Getting that many players is a completely different question. I would enjoy seeing a combined event too.
            I am quite determined. Regardless the number of total players, I would like to have something to work in. 70 is an optimistic goal. Long time, we should chat on TS. I have some Ideas.

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

Originally posted by Sc[ + ]pe View Post
              The only way we'd ever get those numbers is if we pooled resources and had an inter-community event (HINT HINT).
              I think we can shoot for like 50 without it being an inter-community event (Hint Hint)

Comment

Well Dimitrius, more power to ya. I've been under your command before and I remember it being one of the more memorable experiences with TG. I hope you can get this all together. Unfortunately, I'm not usually available on Sundays to play. Nor do I have any experience commanding, or mission editing (that is, scripting). But, I make a good orderly! haha
                Also Known As; ENDER

Comment

Whatever happens I do not want a repeat of op syracuse - which involved tens of hours of planning and then the server pooped out. For you guys that are saying 70 is unrealistic, that many signed up for op syracuse before the thread was LOCKED (although only about 50 showed). I hate to be a downer but I agree with the judgments of some others here - getting some experience with semi-large missions like fall of saigon, which is relatively easy to command but still has a high player count, is a good idea before plunging off the deep end again. I don't in anyway mean this as an insult, but your inexperience really showed on syracuse, and most of the traditional duties assigned to a commander fell on me. The XO is supposed to manage a few aspects of the mission which would otherwise require micromanagment, traditional duties include air/medical/resupply asset management, advisor to the CO, CO replacement if the CO gets killed and sometimes taskforce leader for dependent elements. Most commanders treat the XO slot as a formality, especially in smaller missions of 30 or less, and the XO just serves as a bodyguard for the CO. I am not complaining, I had fun planning, just saying that you must be able to do everything yourself. I urge you to try getting together a semi-large scale mission like one of longtime's or saigon, and you could make an unofficial event signup here without needing the admins to OK anything.

Comment

I will take your advice Tyr. I am already thinking of some smaller ops or maybe 20-30 soldiers is a better starting place. Maybe I could enlist the help of 353rd, JTOC, and 303rd and a few others and see where that takes me. That assumes they are willing to cooperate and offer their superior services to a "commander in the making" like myself.

It would be good to have you onboard though.

Thanks again.

Semper TG

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

Originally posted by Boondocksaint View Post
                      I think we can shoot for like 50 without it being an inter-community event (Hint Hint)
                      What I'm saying is that I think it's high time we got back to the comradery of ArmA1. A lot of bridges have been burned in the mean time and I'd love to open the roads back up. A large-playercount mission is a good opportunity!
                      Last edited by Boondocksaint; 02-03-2010, 10:30 PM.

Comment

I'm onboard.

Comment

Originally posted by Sc[ + ]pe View Post
                          What I'm saying is that I think it's high time we got back to the comradery of ArmA1. A lot of bridges have been burned in the mean time and I'd love to open the roads back up. A large-playercount mission is a good opportunity!
                          I don't know I am just worried more about tg as of now but am down for anything
                          Last edited by Boondocksaint; 02-03-2010, 11:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Boondocksaint View Post
                            I don't know I am just worried more about tg as of now but am down for anything
                            to expand because it was on my Iphone, I want to grow our current player base before adding more work to set up a joint community ops. I wasn't shooting this down.

Comment

I think it would benefit you to make it a regular practice, say 2-3 times a week, to command on medium sized missions with the daily server regulars. This does two things--A...gets you needed command practice and B...creates deeper and stronger ties to the troops.

Maybe I'm off on this but I can't remember squadding up once with you since the fubar mission two weeks ago. That doesn't mean I don't trust you as a commander but building those ties will only improve your chops as a commander.
                              sigpic
                              |TG-1st|Grunt
                              ARMA Admin (retired)
                              Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed