X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battle for Grozny 1994

Making a mission on Avgani surrounding this epic battle:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_...2%80%931995%29

You play the Chechens, and with a few captured Russian vehicles, MANPADs and RPGS have to defend Grozny against the Russian horde!

Anyone have 40 testers laying around?

Re: Battle for Grozny 1994

Im in. Just hit me up on TS.

Also: the BMD is now my favourite vehicle ever. Water shield and suspension control? Where have you been all my life!!!???
    Nihility

Comment

Here's the rough first sketch of the briefing. Will give you an idea of the gameplay:

Tasks:
      Defend Grozny
      A massive Russian attack force is approaching Grozny. You are tasked with defending the city until relief forces mobilize to our aid.

Notes:
      Enemy
      Elements of the 131st Motorized Rifle Brigade (MRB) and the 81st MRR from the city of Samara are converging from all directions on the city. We have little intelligence concerning this taskforce, but can expect multiple platoons of heavily armored convoys to attack from all directions, supported by airborne assault forces, close air support and gunships.

Reports from friendly warlords in the countryside indicate that the enemy force is composed mostly of conscripts, quickly assembled to retake Grozny. Ragtag and mismatched, these forces may be heavily armed but disorganized, and appear to be using old generation assets.

The enemy has complete air superiority.

Friendly forces

Militia warlords faithful to the Republic of Ichkeria are mobilizing outside of the Presidential Palace in the center of Grozny. They will be able up to a muster a reinforced platoon sized force for sustained action against the enemy. A warlord's group is comprised of x3 4 man fireteams. Each fireteam has a sniper, RPG gunner, leader and automatic rifleman.

You also have at your disposal x2 2 man hunter-killer teams, equipped with tandem HEAT rounds and x1 2 man MANPAD team. There is a limited reserve of RPG-7 and Strela ordnance in the ammo crates.

We have a number of captured Russian vehicle assets:
      x3 UAZ (covered)
      x2 BMP-2
      x1 T-72
      x2 Ural (flatbed)
      x1 Kamaz (covered)

And crew-served weapons which may be deployed:
      x2 Konkurs ATGM systems with x8 rounds
      x2 DSHKM with x800 rounds

As well as x20 POMZ anti-personnel mines.

Medical supplies are scarce, with a single army surgeon capable of providing emergency medical assistance. There is no resupply.

Terrain and Weather

Steep hills surround the city of Grozny to the east and west. The city itself lies in a flat valley, the eastern portion of which is filled with a thick cedar forest.

It is just before dawn, December 31, 1994.

Mission

Repel the Russian main effort in order to buy time for our forces in the countryside to mobilize and come to our defense. The Presidential Palace must be defended at all costs.

You must defend the city for 1 hour.

Commander's Intent

Move with extreme haste to position your forces into defensive killing sacks - the Russians are likely to be moving toward the city at this moment!

Make note of the fact that the enemy will have fire superiority in decisive engagements. Accordingly, you must ambush rather than confront the Russian attackers, allowing them to draw their vehicles deep into the urban centre.

The Russian tanks cannot target our forces running across roof tops and tank armor is the thinnest on the top of the turret. Destroy the enemy's armor in this fashion, and then assault the survivors. The Russians think that we will scatter to the hills when we see their tanks coming in, but we shall not retreat!

Furthermore it is important that you preserve our vehicle assets and use them to strike back at the reduced enemy convoys. You must keep them from sight, as the Russians will send in CAS to interdict them. Take efforts to conceal them, and to strike quick and then retreat into cover.

Basic Plan

Dispatch 1st group to defend the southern approach into Grozny along the MSR, while 2nd group defends the west. 3rd group will defend the north, and act as a reserve to defend the east. Hunter killer squads should remain mobile and move on any flank threatened with enemy armor. MANPAD operators may be deployed at discretion.

Keep the BMPs in reserve to defend gaps and deploy the T-72 as a central fallback position. Use the various motorized assets to quickly deploy defending forces and to shift elements as the battle progresses.

Capture the hills east or west of Grozny to establish an ATGM firing line to interdict incoming Russian vehicles. DSHKM HMGs can also be deployed in these positions to interdict enemy aircraft.

Comment

I am in for any tests just get me on Xfire this mission gives me the image of pulling of the hatches on a tank and
        dropping a grenade in

this idea = epic
        To talk to me or just hurl Abuse my way get me on Xfire:Hashass1n

I can't read, can't write, can't be an officer -NCO of the Vistula Uhlans Jan Pawlikowski

Mute since the universe began

Comment

Yo guys, as much as I am a fan of large-scale sprawls, the truth of the matter is that we've been lucky to get over 30 players these days. Any chance of you punks breaking your missions in half and giving me some nice Co20s to play with?

Comment

Hey Krause, very interesting idea for a mission, but Afgani just doesn't match.

Grozny and Chechnya looks like Russia, it's not a desert :), especially not Grozny. I would strongly suggest using Podagorsk island, which will fit perfectly.

I'm looking forward to this mission.

Comment

Will hard to play for me, I'm Russian and it is big tragedy for my country, we lost 2000 soldiers in 2 months city fights, also Chechenian rebels made lots of kills with cutting heads, legs, fingers of captured soldiers and officers, castration etc.
              Sure I'm in, I hope it will be just mission:)

Also good job on previous mission in Afganistan Krause, very realistic, but don't know who was secret agents, in real life there was Muslim battalion who served for USSR army.

Comment

epic mission, but why avgani? why not any of the chenerussian cities

"im free of all predjudices, i hate everyone equally" -Brad
                "Fine, ill just talk to my fellow corpses!"-Chris G-AKA Miles Tegg

Comment

re: scope

I recently added Force_Recon CO14 to the server, my next mission in the pipeline is another mission as a recon platoon, CO 20, same recon platoon + 2 LAVs. It will most likely be set on podagorsk.

BTW guys the Grozny mission should be on the server now.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikee View Post
                    Hey Krause, very interesting idea for a mission, but Afgani just doesn't match.

Grozny and Chechnya looks like Russia, it's not a desert :), especially not Grozny. I would strongly suggest using Podagorsk island, which will fit perfectly.

I'm looking forward to this mission.
                    The mission showcases the new years assault of 1994, it was in the middle of winter so the greenery was all gone. The urban style is similar. I am not saying that AVGANI is a facsimile of the real grozny, but its the only thing we have. The cities on Chernarus are too small and can't re-create urban warfare. AVGANI has rooftops that can be used just like they were used in Grozny: to bushwhack convoys from all directions.

re: Weezer, no war crimes will be depicted in my mission, only combat.
                    Last edited by tyrspawn; 02-15-2010, 05:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tyrspawn View Post
                      The mission showcases the new years assault of 1994, it was in the middle of winter so the greenery was all gone. The urban style is similar. I am not saying that AVGANI is a facsimile of the real grozny, but its the only thing we have. The cities on Chernarus are too small and can't re-create urban warfare. AVGANI has rooftops that can be used just like they were used in Grozny: to bushwhack convoys from all directions.

re: Weezer, no war crimes will be depicted in my mission, only combat.
                      there are two good cities on chernarus... Chernogorsk and Elektrozavodsk

but i see what your saying. too bad we dont have any snow maps with an eastern european style

"im free of all predjudices, i hate everyone equally" -Brad
                      "Fine, ill just talk to my fellow corpses!"-Chris G-AKA Miles Tegg

Comment

+ Grozny was built in soviet times, so there lots of 16 stores buildings, some hotels etc.
                        There is video from Leutenant of 131 brigade:
                        (dude on youtube trying make comments on English)

Also we don't need winter map for Grozniy, because winter in Checnya is warm without -30C cold at Februrary:)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X