New radio ops and pilots.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New radio ops and pilots.

Just wondering has anyone given any thought to flying with the new radio operation? Changing channel mid flight could be disastrous due to the sudden appearance of AA or fixed wing nose dives. An airboss for fixed wing to handle the commanders call to tell the pilot to wait for (EG) Bravo to contact them near grid 14-52 and a co pilot for rotary would seem necessary.

Also for anyone looking to bind joystick buttons to TS3 for ptt this tiny program is great: http://www.filefront.com/13581942/JbindX.rar
    Nihility

Re: New radio ops and pilots.

agreed. also the planes come with there own radio like the humvees
    If you wanna find me off TG
    Xbox live- fusionpo0
    Steam Username - 0hilla27/fusionpoo
    Xfire - fusionpoo

Comment

thanks for the link soupy! great find

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Coughmyfindcough. Airboss is going to be almost a need. Co-pilots I can live without. Tbh pilots only really need to be talking on long range due to them going in and out of range often.

Comment

In a proper comms hierarchy, a pilot doesn't need to do any frequency switching at all: all calls for air support or transport would come in over their element net. However, it's still a good idea to have either a forward aircraft controller or copilot to handle command or extra-element chatter.

Comment

Originally posted by h3killa View Post
            Coughmyfindcough. Airboss is going to be almost a need. Co-pilots I can live without. Tbh pilots only really need to be talking on long range due to them going in and out of range often.
            Program you told me about didnt work XD But thanks anyway :p
            Nihility

Comment

Would you guys be terribly opposed to have it as SOP to have a Co-Pilot for helo's? This way the pilot can just fly and they Co-pilot can deal with the radios. The only reason killa doesnt like them is he hates having to deal with people in his bird when he crashes. ;) (j/k killa)

I think it might help out in the long run. Thoughts?

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Id like to have a co pilot in helos. Would be fun and realistic. And someone to have a conversation with on those long lonely flights to the Fail Zone. I think an exception to the VON block should be made for helo crews. Let em use Vehicle to communicate? I know from previous experience that my speakers are sheeeeet at direct chat when theres noise.
                Nihility

Comment

We don't need an airboss or copilots. Pilots should have thier own freq and if people need to contact them they go to thier freq. Or have pilots on the command freq

Comment

I suppose leaving them on their own freq would be best then.
                    Or command up until they take off, and have some kind of fancy radio talk to get on off the comms freq

COMMAND: Blah blah this is a fire mission request grid 69696969, contact charlie 1. <EDIT: This is how command should talk :D >
                    Pilot: Afirm, switching to CAS freq, OUT.

Time goes by (so slowly)

Pilot on command freq: This is night ninja, back on command freq awaiting tasking, OUT.
                    Nihility

Comment

Ok then. Air Assests will have a unique frequency, if CAS or Transport has to be done the CO will call it in to the bird, then the troops on the ground will need to jump to the bird's freq to walk them in. Just like most military units currently do.

How does that sound?

Meanwhile the helo pilots are free to use their own long range radios to talk to each other about the seagull they almost hit.

So, its going to be on the CO to have the CAS/Transpo freq saved in his radio so he can switch it.

Example Radio Call: ( for reference and because its keeping me awake at the office :()

CO-"Longbow, Command. Over" <- On Flight Freq

Helo-"Go for Longbow."

CO- "Immediate CAS/Transpo Request, break. Grid Ref 024,983. Over"

Helo- "This is Lonbow Roger, I aknowledge 024,983. Over"

CO- "Callsign on ground, Radier 1. Over"

Helo- " Lonbow, Roger. Over"

CO- "Command Out"

*insert flight time*

R1- "Longbow, Raider 1. Over" <- On Flight Freq

Helo- "Go for Longbow"

R1- "LZ marked with X smoke/Targets are in the tree line to our north, friendlies marked with smoke. Over"

Helo- " Longbow Roger eyes on X smoke/ Longbow Roger, inbound hot. Over"
                      The ground unit can remain on the Flight Freq until transport or CAS is complete, then once the bird leaves the air space ground units switch back to Company Net.
                      Last edited by Dredge; 03-02-2010, 11:18 AM.

[unit][squadl][command2]

Comment

Requiring a co-pilot is nice, but thats another non-com job that someone has to slot into. Best to not make it policy for the sake of playability.

Comment

Yeah, I think for missions with air assets the birds will just use thier own freqs so that way pilots dont have to worry about switching anything all they have to do is key up and talk.

[unit][squadl][command2]

Comment

Glory took the words out of my mouth. A copilot would be awesome (and I'd love to do it!), but it's unnecessary and potentially boring, so it's best left as a non-essential role.

Comment

Also, as long as we use pre-determined radio frequencies (channel 1-5), we can quckly switch between them thanks to the Save/Use function in the radio menu. :D
                              Helo pilots can simply hover in position while switching to freq and planes should be orbiting outside the area anyway.
                              Lastly, once the helo/plane is in the AO, he probably won't have to change the radio freq until he has completed his task.
                              sigpic

Now with 200% more content!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...