Not really liking the new radios

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not really liking the new radios

Maybe it's just teething troubles, but so far I'm not liking the new radios much. Now it's not that it doesn't work or is too hard to use. I've got it all setup, I've taken Zedic's class (great and highly recommended BTW) but it just seems to make the in-game comms an absolute mess.

I find myself listening to Command, various Squad Leaders, etc. all talking about stuff that makes little to no sense to me, things I have no concern for as your average grunt. I'm sitting in a Bradley, hear someone order everyone out so out I go, only to die literally before the game could even draw me on-screen. As it turns out, I'm fairly sure I heard some other leaders order than my own, but with everyone talking over each other, and others so faint as to be unintelligble, I just gave up on it and didn't bother to respawn. I have to wonder if the Local function is working properly, because I'm pretty sure I could hear people talking using plain old TS that I should not have been able to hear.

Anyway, just some feedback from a noob who is finding this makes the game vastly more difficult to learn than it was over the weekend, where I found it much more enjoyable. That said, it was pretty cool during Zedic's class so maybe it will all work out but it sure was annoying tonight.
    |TG-18th| Cutter

Long-time Gamer - ArmA 2 Noob - Certified Old Fart

Re: Not really liking the new radios

Originally posted by Toyguy View Post
    Maybe it's just teething troubles, but so far I'm not liking the new radios much. Now it's not that it doesn't work or is too hard to use. I've got it all setup, I've taken Zedic's class (great and highly recommended BTW) but it just seems to make the in-game comms an absolute mess.

I find myself listening to Command, various Squad Leaders, etc. all talking about stuff that makes little to no sense to me, things I have no concern for as your average grunt. I'm sitting in a Bradley, hear someone order everyone out so out I go, only to die literally before the game could even draw me on-screen. As it turns out, I'm fairly sure I heard some other leaders order than my own, but with everyone talking over each other, and others so faint as to be unintelligble, I just gave up on it and didn't bother to respawn. I have to wonder if the Local function is working properly, because I'm pretty sure I could hear people talking using plain old TS that I should not have been able to hear.

Anyway, just some feedback from a noob who is finding this makes the game vastly more difficult to learn than it was over the weekend, where I found it much more enjoyable. That said, it was pretty cool during Zedic's class so maybe it will all work out but it sure was annoying tonight.
    1. You should not be on the command net.
    2. You should not be on the subnet unless you are a fireteam or squad leader.
    3. The coherence/order of a game will depend on the administrative skills and constancy of the CO and SLs - if it's set up correctly, the comnets are QUIETER now, not louder.
    4. You hearing all the command traffic leads me to believe that the coms were not set up properly.

You should play again before giving up on the new com system.

The only thing that really aggravates me about the new system is that TS sporadically crashes... and I can confirm this is not a personal issue, several of my SLs were also crashing.

Comment

Krause basically nailed it -- this system is designed to work best when utilized by the fewest possible number of players. FTLs worry about shortwave traffic, SQLs worry about platoon-level traffic, and element leaders worry about higher means. Grunts are free to gripe on direct!

Comment

It could also be that inside the brad you where surrounded by other people on other radio freqs. If you are within ear shot of their radios you will be able to hear what they are hearing.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Originally posted by Dredge View Post
          It could also be that inside the brad you where surrounded by other people on other radio freqs. If you are within ear shot of their radios you will be able to hear what they are hearing.
          Which is why is possible to toggle between Whispering, Talking and Yelling:
          -Whispering: can only be heard when within 5m, and even then 2m is the maximum range at which you can hear clearly. Cannot be heard by people inside vehicles (when stainding outside) and vice versa.
          -Talking: can be heard up to 15m, clearly up to 10m. If someone talks outisde a vehicle, it can be heard, but the level is reduced (and vice versa).
          -Yelling: can be heard from pretty far away (more than 25m, according to experience). If used while inside a vehicle, anyone outside will hear it clearly and vice versa. When everyone is Yelling it sounds like a normal TS channel where everyone is talking.

Another thing to remember is that when you broadcast on a radio, you are still TALKING, like with Command Channel where if someone is using VON, everyone nearby will hear him like if he was using Direct. When broadcasting, ALWAYS make sure to use either Whisper (so that only the recipient can hear, since the radio volume is not affected) or Talking. This is especially important when sending a contact report in TvT:

*BluFor Elite Alpha Team have infiltrated the enemy lines, but they have spotted an OpFor patrol close-by which has not seen them yet*

Alpha Team Lead: *start broadcasting* "HQ, this is Alpha, we have eyes on a hostile patrol. So far we have are undetected"

OpFor1: *Whispering* "OpFor 2, did you hear that?

OpFor2: *Whispering as well* "Yes, it's coming from the treeline 20 meters to the SW"

Alpha Team Lead: *still broadcasting* "They have stopped. Copy weapons yellow. If possible we will try to sneak by. Hopefully they have not spotted us yet"

OpFor2:*whispering* "Quick, pull out the binocs and look the other way"

OpFor1:*still, you guessed it, whispering* "Ok, you get on the horn and contact command"

Alpha Team Lead: *radioing* "Patrol has stopped and it's scanning the area. I don't think they have spotted us yet... Yes, they are starting to move again. As soon as they have gone we will continue the infiltration"

OpFor1:*do I have to say it?* "Ok, we can go. Artillery will commence firing as soon as we have reached some cover"

Alpha Team Lead: *as the enemy patrols gets out of sight* "Alright boys, let's head out and...*
          *105mm shells start raining on Alpha Team, annihilating them all*
          Alpha Team: "OMG!!!11" "WTF?!?!?!?!12231" "HAX!!i!1!!" *all ragequit* :p

So, the Le33t Alpha Team was eliminated since they didn't care about the Whisper/Talk/Yell system, while the OpFor managed to contact their CO without BluFor knowing it since they were using the W/T/Y system properly and whispers coldn't be heard. :D
          sigpic

Now with 200% more content!

Comment

<rant>
            I was Bradley commander last night til the old lady drug me off and the new comms turned that into a loving mess. I'm sure everyone who was in the back, (8 or whatever it holds) could heard the command net long range I had on and the gun truck short net I had on. That, engine noise, and the 25mm going off so all were compelled to use yell mode while they were talking in the back. Having the same noises in my crews and my own ears, combined with us being able to hear everything being said in the crew compartment (including D or E squad leaders and ftl'ss at different points) and everything being said in a 15 m radius outside the vehicle, there was no chance of being able to distinguish a single voice as one of your crew, much less tell what they are saying. Gently caress you if they have a soft mic and they're trying to tell you something important. I had to constantly repeat everything to my crew and there was zero chance of me even telling when they were talking to me unless i was staring at the ts window.
            </rant>
            <aar>
            That all being said we struggled through and eman destroyed a christ-ton of hostiles. However, when we mechanized assaulted the radio tower with E in the back jimbo was driving all over the place because he couldn't hear what i was saying, it's nobody's fault at all but I know it was a contributing factor to casualties among E during the contact due to both being in non-prime locations for support and not hitting walls squarely to knock them down on the first try. I just feel like being in the crew seats of the Bradley should have completely muted us from direct chat. At least from the outside since I'm not an 11M and i don't know what the inside of a Bradley really looks like. Or new sop should be made to where everyone in a Bradley (or any armor) that isn't crew has to use whisper mode instead of yelling in each others faces. Overall I think the new comms are a great system implemented poorly with the way direct communication is handled under special circumstances, that being no differently at all. I'm you're in an armored vehicle people shouldn't be able to walk up and talk to the plates if you're all buttoned up. No matter what you should never be able to direct chat to a helo crew with the props turning.
            </aar>
            Thoughts? I can't be the only crazy.

Comment

First of all, I appreciate the effort put into this transition. Seems like many have invested extra time, and labor onto it. While the system looks good on paper it will take time it to fully catch on, if it ever does catch on. In the meantime, during the transitional state, frustrations will build, people will be yelled at, newcomers shooed away (Think about all the things they have to do in order to play with us.). The previous Game Officer and his admin team during Arma 1 tried everything. Changed stuff around. Extra mods, cool features. But the player base died anyway. And then they simplified the whole thing. One mod (ACE), VON only, and a map pack (Perfect for quick jump in and play set up). The players came back to the scene.

Pay attention to your player participation statistics. As I have said before and always people come here to play game, and have fun. Not to be frustrated. Frustration after frustration they simply stop coming around.

Comment

I think the primary issue in the case presented is the mixing of squads in vehicles. If it is one squad to one vehicle with no mixing, then I believe comms would not be cluttered.
                |TG|Ghost02
                TG Pathfinder

"I travel alone through the valley of the shadow of death, yet in my heart I carry no fear, for Gods hands will guide me to Truth and Honor."

Comment

Maybe the simplest solution is to just get everyone to shush while in transport if its getting so bad you cant hear your orders.
                  Nihility

Comment

Simple solution here. When you get into a vehicle that has a long range radio, you also get the long range radio action menu. If you go into it then select the 'on/off' button so the on/off light goes red you shouldn't hear any long range broadcasts anymore. You will however still hear your squad's shortwave as well as any outgoing [direct speech, shouldn't be too loud] transmissions from anyone in the vehicle.

Unfortunately when I tried this briefly on a server, when I got back into the vehicle my LRR went back to 'on' so it's looking like you'll have to turn it off every time you embark.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost02 View Post
                      I think the primary issue in the case presented is the mixing of squads in vehicles. If it is one squad to one vehicle with no mixing, then I believe comms would not be cluttered.
                      But thats not always possible.

Just remember guys, 95% of what we are adding into the game is based on you guys. We never add anything in that isnt something the community has us asked for. With the radio's, we where asked to look into this as a viable solution for the lack of the Channel Commander function. We tested it for several days before we rolled it out and we believe that whatever its short comings it more than makes up for in funtionality and the ability to have command comms. The admin team has faith that after the initial shock of the new radio stuff is over it will be as familiar as turning on channel commander in TS2. Please just stick with it during its initial start up phase. Also, feel free to keep posting any new bugs you might find and also anything you think that could be added into the SOP to make things better.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Originally posted by Dredge View Post
                        But thats not always possible.

Just remember guys, 95% of what we are adding into the game is based on you guys. We never add anything in that isnt something the community has us asked for. With the radio's, we where asked to look into this as a viable solution for the lack of the Channel Commander function. We tested it for several days before we rolled it out and we believe that whatever its short comings it more than makes up for in funtionality and the ability to have command comms. The admin team has faith that after the initial shock of the new radio stuff is over it will be as familiar as turning on channel commander in TS2. Please just stick with it during its initial start up phase. Also, feel free to keep posting any new bugs you might find and also anything you think that could be added into the SOP to make things better.
                        I am just now getting back to playing ArmA II, I like the concept and functionality of the new radio system. Being a test engineer by day, I already know where to set my expectations and seeing what has been implemented is a great job. These are simply growing pains that we will get by in time like everything else. Just a bit more realism is brought to the fight which is the reason we play on TG servers. Though frustrating at times I felt the new comms brought something extra to the fight and added a bit more to the FOW (Fog of War)

Comment

there is a version being worked on that should hopefully smooth things out.

Comment

Originally posted by Rommel

Status Update: The re-haul is complete, been testing with Noubernou, we've opened a mini sub-team working on it outside of ACE lest we get backing. It will include radio signal propagation and enhanced compatibilities with ACE.

A little sneak peak as to the terrain profiling to determine signal strength. A side image of Utes.
                            The script is now down to 4, with only 1 loop, and all are functions, increasing benchmarked performance by over 500%.

I thank you all for your emails, and we are looking at them all for ideas, we are also including the feature by .lip mouth movements when speaking to increase immersion.
                            We are also including re-trans around appropriate vehicles, not just having to be inside them.

Integration with a proper aircraft traffic controller, both in the tower and aircraft is being looked into, and we have the support of the 3rdMD for testers and help.
                            Stay tuned, as this is just a bunch of random features from a very big conversation.
                            Also they are adding in PTT, so no more toggle. We will keep you guys updated on the progress of the updated version.

If you guys want to go look at what is being worked on and whats not go here:
                            http://forums.bistudio.com/showthrea...=95918&page=15

[unit][squadl][command2]

Comment

A quirk i noticed last night:

I was sitting parked at main in the chopper (didnt matter which one) and every now and then I would hear squad comms from the front line (several miles away) sounding like it was behind and to the side of me. I think the plugin was "bleeding" comms into my TS, but not by design or range or frequency, more like a bug or processing error. It was also pretty random. Sometimes it was Steel1, sometimes Steel2, sometimes Echo. It sounded like SR chat (which I was not tuned too), and it definetly wasnt LR as that came in perfectly.

Did not hear the bug at all unless I was in the chopper.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X