X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tank FCS is in.

http://dev-heaven.net/projects/ace-mod2/news
    http://ace.wikkii.com/wiki/Features_...Control_System

Btw there are new keys due to this, so you will finally need to update your userconfigs. Do this by unzipping the .tar file in the store folder (the only place which now holds the most recent configs) and moving them to the right location. You will of course need to re-enter the needed information into them (see elsewhere on the forum for how to do this).
    "Can't waste a day when the night brings a hearse
    So make a move and plead the fifth 'cause you can't plead the first."

Interesting Articles__________News
    tinyurl.com/PipelineGeopolitics_____prisonplanet.com
    tinyurl.com/USTrainGeorgia_______globalresearch.ca
    tinyurl.com/Rumsfeld-GeorgianDM__engdahl.oilgeopolitics.net
    tinyurl.com/Georgia3rdinIraq

Re: Tank FCS is in.

Sweeeeeeet!

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. " - Albert Einstein

Comment

One of the biggest "missing" parts of realistic combat has finally been added in. Nothing annoys me more than missing targets at 1200 meters with my abrams while in real life they have a minimum accurate engagement range of 3500 meters due to FCS.

I just hope that the T-72 doesn't have anything like this, because in reality it's all analog targeting for them. A great book on this topic is M1 Abrams vs T-72 Ural by Steven Zaloga.

Comment

It's about bloody time! :icon_bigg
        Finally all that time I spent in the gunnery range in the old Steel Beasts will pay off. :icon6:
        While most of the times we end up engaging targets less than 1km away, having to guess where the shot was supposed the land always rubbed me the wrong way. But now we finally have a proper tank FCS. That also means that a TGU Course in armored vehicles is going to be important to have tank crews that know how this works and can then help others get used to the system.

Edit:
        Originally posted by tyrspawn
        I just hope that the T-72 doesn't have anything like this, because in reality it's all analog targeting for them. A great book on this topic is M1 Abrams vs T-72 Ural by Steven Zaloga.
        That's not entirely accurate: the first version of the T72 did not have a laser rangefinder and an FCS, but subsequent version all had them. The Soviet Union continously updated the T72 and the models used by the Russian Federation are pretty lethal (although they have the problem that the desing is old, unlike the modern Challenger 2, for example) and effective.
        The reason the T72 is widely regarded as a terrible tank comes from the experience acquired during Desert Storm. But one must not forget that the tanks used by Iraq were export versions, and as such of extremely low-quality. According to research done in that time, a T-72B would have been capable of withstanding hits from an M1 Abrams, while being capable of achieving 1-hit kills on it. That is also why the US Army decided to deploy its new M1A1 to the bases in Saudi Arabia: while it was known that the iraqi T72 were, well, crap, the US Army did not want to take any chances.
        This should be already simulated somewhat in ArmA, with the Russian Federation T72 being tougher than the ChDKz and CDF T72s.

Edit 2:
        I've just tested it and this thing works perfectly, both when using the main cannon and the coax! Any chanche of having a slightly anticipated update? :icon_bigg
        Last edited by Merula; 03-06-2010, 10:56 AM.
        sigpic

Now with 200% more content!

Comment

I did a bit more testing:
          -the Bradley FCS is incapable of tracking moving targets. As such the gunner needs to manually adjust for lead. (don't know if this happens in real life)
          -all tanks but the T34 have the FCS. Which is wrong since, as I mentioned above, the T-72 used by the Guerrilas and the CDF should not be equipped with that.
          -about the above, it seems that the T-72As coax is not linked with the FCR
          -the gunner's FOV for the abrams is STILL TOO SMALL, especially when compared with ALL THE OTHER TANKS. Simply put the gunner in an Abrams is at a huge disadvantage when facing other tanks at mid-to-short ranges due to the incredibly reduced situational awareness he has.
          sigpic

Comment

I hope they add in shared optics between commander/gunner. In the real abrams a commander can switch to the gunner's view and manually move it to his own view. This prevents the following scenario which happens ALL THE TIME:

1. Commander: "ENEMY TANK, 041, 400 METERS, BY THE TREE LINE!"
            2. Gunner ...
            3. Commander: "You see it?"
            4. Gunner: "I DONT SEE IT.... IM LOOKING AT THE TREE LINE 041"
            ::dead::

Comment

Merula and Krause you should report/request those things here: http://dev-heaven.net/projects/ace-mod2/issues following this procedure: http://dev-heaven.net/projects/ace-mod2/wiki/Bugz

Comment

Originally posted by fireship4 View Post
                Merula and Krause you should report/request those things here: http://dev-heaven.net/projects/ace-mod2/issues following this procedure: http://dev-heaven.net/projects/ace-mod2/wiki/Bugz
                You are right. I should report this, but believe it or not I can't find a single image or article that shows what the FOV of the Abrams GPS is. All I have to base myself is on a few tank simulators (like Steel Beasts) where the FOV is much larger* but, again, I have no hard data. Yet.
                The only thing I could say is that compared to the other tanks, the Abrams gets the short stick, but I doubt it will be accepted. :(

Edit: also this happened in ACE1 too, so I doubt that they will change it...

Edit 2:
                *As in, it occupies the full screen, the minimun zoom level is much shorter and overall it "feels" like I have a better FOV. Unfortunately feelings are not valid data when dealing with simulations.
                sigpic

Comment

The only way you will know is if you report it :)

Just put it on there, give reasons and some evidence, there will be some discussion and an answer.

Comment

Just as an FYI, apparently the crosshair on the M1A1HC is not properly aligned: when lasing a target the shot will tend to land slightly lower and to the left of the center reticule. Make sure to adjust your aim accordingly until this issue is fixed with the next ACE update (very probable)
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Merula View Post
                      -the Bradley FCS is incapable of tracking moving targets. As such the gunner needs to manually adjust for lead. (don't know if this happens in real life)
                      -all tanks but the T34 have the FCS. Which is wrong since, as I mentioned above, the T-72 used by the Guerrilas and the CDF should not be equipped with that.
                      -about the above, it seems that the T-72As coax is not linked with the FCR
                      The A3’s fire control software (FCSW) combines laser range, environmental readings, ammunition type, and turret control inputs to automatically elevate the gun for range and to automatically generate a kinematic lead solution if a target is moving.[11] This functionality, very similar to that of the M1A2 Abrams, allows the gunner or commander to center the reticule on a moving target, lase the target, and achieve a first-round-hit, without the need to fire sensing rounds and adjust aim.
                      I think the ACE devs put it on the other tanks for even TvT maybe? That way both sides have the same set up so there is no question as to who really won the tank battle.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

I'd much rather see them go for authenticity rather than a level playing field. You can always balance things the way the Soviets typically did - with massive numbers rather than technical superiority, although that wouldn't generally be appropriate for guerillas/insurgents. You use what you have the best you can - combat is rarely fair and equal :)
                        |TG-18th| Cutter

Long-time Gamer - ArmA 2 Noob - Certified Old Fart

Comment

from http://www.army-technology.com/projects/abrams/

The Northrop Grumman (formerly Litton) Laser Systems eyesafe laser rangefinder (ELRF) has a range accuracy to within 10m and target discrimination of 20m. The gunner also has a Kollmorgen Model 939 auxiliary sight with magnification 8 and field of view 8.
                          sooo...8 degrees, 8x mag for auxiliary sight

EDIT: found more specs
                          http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=..._x0miCt-hZG2vg

|TG-TFP|Jaynus
                          Task Force Proteus

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but Im just not close enough to get the job done."

Comment

Originally posted by Dredge View Post
                            I think the ACE devs put it on the other tanks for even TvT maybe? That way both sides have the same set up so there is no question as to who really won the tank battle.
                            I've read a few discussions on Devnet while pondering whether to open a couple of tickets or not and, well, it would seems that when it comes to levelling the field vs. realism the ACE devs are making a few... odd decisions.

Realism vs. Balancing round 1: the Abrams/Bradley sight is "realistic" (I'm still trying to find out how truly realistic it is), while everything else has a MUCH larger field of view and as such BluFor ends up having a huge handicap in TvT

Realism vs. Balancing round 2: it took 3 real world tankcrewmen to convince the ACE devs to reduce the amount of smoke (not dust, smoke) generated by firing the main cannon, and for a moment they defended the choice by saying that it was for balancing reasons (and even though they eventually decided to reduce the smoke to a bearable level (since it was impossible to track the shot), they are still discussing about situations where they could raise the smoke level to the previous version)

Realism vs Balancing round 3: the frigging medical system. ACE1 medical system was simple yet elegant. Now we have those "magic-bandages" that I oh so hate and everytime someone is shot it is required to pump them with at least 1 of each medical equipment. How is creating magical bandages going to be more realistic than the old magic-medic sys? Now it's impossible to have missions where ambulances and medical tents are important since everyone can heal himself/somebody else with a simple bandage.

I'm sorry that what I've just said is basically a mini-rant, but there are a few things in ACE where I feel gameplay is sacrificed for what they claim is "realistic", and I don't think that it's going to change. ACE2 adds a lot of nice things, but some of them feels excessive. :icon_frow

Carry on with the normal discussion :)

Edit:
                            Just to continue discussing about the FCR, did you guys know that the BMP-3 already had a sort of FCR in normal ArmA2?
                            When using the 100mm cannon (not loaded with missiles), clicking the right mouse-button while aiming at a target will automatically elevate the cannon (and the view, so you have to center it manually again) so that the round can land properly at that range. I found out about it just a few days ago. I have yet to test if the new FCR is included with the BMP-3 as well, but if it isn't, there is still this one system. ;)
                            Last edited by Merula; 03-10-2010, 12:13 PM.
                            sigpic

Comment

Hey Merula, speaking from personal experience:

The sights on a Brad are very narrow, as are the sights on a tank. The gunner has a little eye piece that he looks through and then basically gets tunnel vision. Thats where the BC/TC (Bradley Commander/Tank Commander) come in. They are constantly scanning with the Commanders sight looking for targets.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X