Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [SOP] arma2ts & Von + chat

This is a reminder of the current SOP, and a proposal for an extension

comms has been an issue for aslong as i've played ArmA2, so i'm very glad to see progress with the new TS plugin.
    This plugin is not the optimal solution for comms, It chooses realism over capabilities. Initially I didn't think this was ideal, but having used it somewhat, I like the realism and the need to use the chain of command.

The problem is in every game i've played, when things get rough people start using VON or chat, when this happens all the realism from the plugin goes out the window and we're left with nothing more than a buggy, marginally improved comms.
    The value of this plugin is realism, but people keep destroying that.

In game VON will be used in emergencies ONLY. You can not use side chat as a work around for the new radio system. If you walk out of radio range of the CO you might want to think about turning around and walking back so you can get comms with him to inform him of the situation. This new radio system is being implemented for a reason. It will enhance game play and add a new level of emersion into ArmA at TG.
    Acceptable uses of VON/chat: (IMO)
    Briefing in base - purely to help get things moving
    dealing with technical issues (sorting it out of game is preferable)

I'd also like to see people working with the limitations of missions - if an old missions doesn't have manpack LRRs, use vehicles for radio. Otherwise decide at the beginning of the mission you'll be using side to simulate LRR

[proposal] When TS breaks

sometimes we have to give up and TS and switch to VON - this may also be applicable to people with individual issues, or no mics
    Just because we're not using TS, doesn't mean we have to give up all the things we'd do with it.

People with Long Range Radios - can use side VON/chat
    People with Short Range Radios - can use group VON/chat
    if you have no radio - stick to direct VON/chat

Re: [SOP] arma2ts & Von + chat

About the chat, I would suggest one thing: allow its use even when using ArmA2TS.
    The reason is that modern comunications are not exclusively via radio: soldiers and vehicles are usually equipped with GPS-based comunication systems, usually through R/PDAs and on-board computers. These systems (in particular the R/PDAs) can be used to comunicate when radios are not working by utilising text-chat. Text-chat has a few RL disadvantages that are the same in ArmA2 and as such can be simulated perfectly.
    Of course this is just an idea, and it doesn't include VON (to be used only if ArmA2TS-based comms fail for one reason or another), but I've throwed it in anyway. ;)
    sigpic

Now with 200% more content!

Comment

i agree with this.

+1

|TG-TFP|Jaynus
      Task Force Proteus

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but Im just not close enough to get the job done."

Comment

/signed
        +1

|TG-TFP|Kezei
        Ductus Exemplo

Comment

The Radio Mod is required to play on the TG servers - it should be installed before joining the server, that is also part of the SOP. I understand the system can crap out at times, but the net cause of that has been people connected with the mod not enabled - that was the problem last night. If someone does not have the mod installed please direct them to one of the Admins or the TG quickstart guide.

Now, as per the proposal, if TS breaks please use in game VON as it was originally intended. I personally don't see the need for an addendum to the SOP but I will bring this up in the admin forum for discussion.

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. " - Albert Einstein

Comment

The plugin is moving so fast we should let it settle before deciding how to use the full scope.

Comment

It will be interesting to see the new (completely re-written) version of the TS plugin in the next week or so.

|TG-TFP|Kezei
              Ductus Exemplo

Comment

Originally posted by Kezei View Post
                It will be interesting to see the new (completely re-written) version of the TS plugin in the next week or so.
                yah. Get back to work Kezei!!!

|TG-TFP|Jaynus
                Task Force Proteus

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but Im just not close enough to get the job done."

Comment

Originally posted by Sandiford View Post
                  Acceptable uses of VON/chat: (IMO)
                  Briefing in base - purely to help get things moving
                  dealing with technical issues (sorting it out of game is preferable)
                  Thats fine as long as you switch back over as soon as the brief is done

I'd also like to see people working with the limitations of missions - if an old missions doesn't have manpack LRRs, use vehicles for radio. Otherwise decide at the beginning of the mission you'll be using side to simulate LRR
                  Old missions are being updated to include the new radio system.

[proposal] When TS breaks

sometimes we have to give up and TS and switch to VON - this may also be applicable to people with individual issues, or no mics
                  Just because we're not using TS, doesn't mean we have to give up all the things we'd do with it.
                  I'm not sure that TS actually "breaks". However, should a problem arise it will be acceptable to use VON until the situation is resolved.

People with Long Range Radios - can use side VON/chat
                  People with Short Range Radios - can use group VON/chat
                  if you have no radio - stick to direct VON/chat
                  This is fine to use, but again, only in emergancies. TS is very stable, and VON is touch and go. That is why we have moved over to be more TS heavy when it comes to communication in game. I know some people thought that the radios had crashed TS, this was not the case. Due to server lag and desync the plugin put itself on hold. The Admin Team would like urge everyone to ride it out when it happens and not to shut down TS or the plugin because of a panic. Doing this is like buying bottled water and canned food when your mouse stops working. It is a drastic overreaciton. Just be patient and when the server catches up, so will the plugin. If it isnt stable we wont add it*

*ACE is the one exception...shut up...:D

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Is there anyway we can prohibit a player from joining the server if they don't have the ts plug in enabled?

Last night was a mess. Radios and SOP's working beautifully then all of a sudden it all went to pot. Maybe i'm off on this but I can see this happening with some frequency. More so on an accidental basis than on purpose but still...

It was kind of cool it all fell apart as soon as my element came under fire. Now that's realism !
                    sigpic
                    |TG-1st|Grunt
                    ARMA Admin (retired)
                    Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

It's possible, but I believe we've opted not to have the server do a check for correct addons because it increases the workload required.

Actually, I'm not sure if it would be possible with the TS plugin, because half of what matters lies in TS3 and not ArmA2.

| |

Comment

One possible alternative would be to have the FTLs or SLs just do a quick radio check with their members - either with the SR radio or even just switching into Whisper mode. If a member can't do that, they likely do not have the plug-in installed and they could be directed off the server to the forums for assistance getting things installed.

On another note, you might consider making a mic mandatory. Sure, there might be some valid exceptions but in general, logging in without a mic pretty much makes all the work around the comm system a bit pointless and tedious, because now the leaders have to start double-communicating everything or delegating that role to someone else who probably has even less time for it.
                        |TG-18th| Cutter

Long-time Gamer - ArmA 2 Noob - Certified Old Fart

Comment

Quick and dirty way: set the password to something like dontjoinwithouttheTSplugin
                          would probably stop most people

Comment

Quick and dirty way: set the password to something like dontjoinwithouttheTSplugin
                            would probably stop most people
                            Good idea, but given past experiences* it probably won't work.
                            *("mandatorytohaveslxinstalled" anyone?:row1_2: )
                            sigpic

Now with 200% more content!

Comment

With regards to the original post, I have not once seen someone choose to use VON when Teamspeak was a viable alternative, even if that alternative did not have the same capabilities re: range, etc., that voice-over-net did.

That being said, let me relate my woes from last night. VON crapped out in the middle of a 30-something WAC mission. Immediately I had to scrub my RTO (who couldn't use command chat), and get a radio check in from all my squadleaders. Not only did that take time, but it caused what I would call an effective communications and intel blackout for about 3 minutes. To impose any kind of SOPs on VON when it comes to a situation like that (I'm reminded of just how quickly I've been told to "GET OFF SIDE CHANNEL" in similar circumstances) would hinder both the commander's ability to lead and the squadleader's ability to communicate effectively outside of his unit.

Re: TS issues, my belief is that the means from which the TS3 plugin is "breaking" is a combination of player-server desync and the inoptimization of the source plugin code. Since desync is an ArmA problem and completely out of our hands, I would surmise that these problems continue to crop up until the plugin is updated per Rommel.

Lastly,
                              Originally posted by Dredge View Post
                              Old missions are being updated to include the new radio system.
                              I hope that this is being done with the mission makers involved, just in case the intent of some missions were misread by the admin team.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X