Rat on the Floor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rat on the Floor

I am not sure if this is something I should have brought to the admins' attention privately or posted it on the forums for all to see. I honestly felt it was something the community needed to read so I posted it in here in the forums. This is not intended to be malicious, finger pointing or pot stirring, but since this reflects on the entire ArmA TG community, it needed to be put out there. And honestly, there isn't really anything an admin can do in or out of game to adjust some attitudes other than say stop it and that usually will not change much.

Yesterday, Bravo server was up with a good number of non-regulars, newbies, etc....(or what ever else we call them). More so than usual because Domination was up and the server wasn't running with a password. There were some discussions about maps, team/squad leads, etc... and someone said something to the effect that they'd rather squad lead with the newbies than some of the TG regulars because they would do what they tell you. I am not sure if that individual meant something specific, but what I took from it was they didn't want to lead some of the TG regulars because of the feedback/sarcasm many of them were handing out. If he didn't, it doesn't matter because my opinion below still remains the same.

I have noticed some (actually multiple) instances in the past few weeks where some TG regulars on TS make it habit to hand out sarcastic comments to others for no reason other than to be a horse's a%# or "fumigate their wisdom over the channel" so to speak. I find it a belittling and really serving no purpose. I usually just dismiss it because it really never pertains to me and I don't say much anyway, but when that comment was made yesterday it became clear that it is an issue.

The growth of our group is dependent upon the impression we give outsiders whether in game, on TS or posting on this site. I compare it to a five star restaurant. You can have the best menu with the greatest chef and waiters, but it can all be ruined by a single rat on the floor in the kitchen. So people please watch the attitudes while in TS, it's becoming our rat on the floor.

Re: Rat on the Floor

Good analogy.

We should always be walking the fine line between displaying leadership and allowing others to be leaders, and we should give non-TG players a chance to lead (assuming they meet the requirements, which are essentially only to have a working mic), and try to be the perfect grunt when that's your role.

Comment

I couldn't agree with you more. MRC. Thats what it all boils down to. Manners, Respect, and Cooperation. If we dont maintain that as our Gold Standard here at TG we are no better than the servers filled with 10 year olds that spout curse words into the mic like its the cool thing to do. Our servers are ranked in the to 20 in the world! There is a reason for that. We just need to maintain our TG Bearing and show the new players what its like to be on a server that is fun, as well as tactical.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Good post, the best solution is to ping an admin a quick PM, every single message we receive is treated in confidence, and in most cases is simply a question of a player getting too relaxed or over playing, the solution is to ask them to step back and evaluate how they would want to be treated by fellow gamers and in most circumstances they do that successfully.

In a nutshell the truly good leaders on TG are the ones that take a back seat and help a new player have a stab at being leaders.

Comment

I also need to add the inverse of that logic, it can be mentally draining playing on Bravo with new players who have 0 understanding of what is going on and what is expected from them both in gameplay terms and attitude.

In these circumstances it can be useful to allow admins or people with extensive command skills to take to lead so they can back up the command structure with admin capabilities or plain authoritarian capabilities.

Comment

Finally one more thought, when logging on I tend to see the same faces (face!) in the CO seat, please remember to share the love and give everyone a chance to step up. We ALL started as a new players.

(Apart form Zedic, He was spawned)

Comment

I was fully spawned with the ultimate in Leadership ablities. Chuck Norris was my father, and A.Wickens was my mother. I began as a simple wad of gum on the ground from Chuck Norris and A.Wickens butted out a smoke on it. That is how I came to be. I was spawned of the hardest men alive, I am the ultimate, the Omega, the Ying and the Yang. No one can compare to my superiority as I also command inferiority into all of you. I am "Zedic". Now grovel at my 1337ness.

Pro Patria

Comment

But I'm sure even the "1337"-est here at TG will share the CO seat and allow others are chance as well :)

| |

Comment

your achilles heel: You are Canadian, which pretty much null and voids the rest of that claptrap

Comment

And this is why Old People aren't allowed to vote and have an opinion. Senility is not reversible old man ;)

Pro Patria

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefBoatsRet View Post
                      your achilles heel: You are Canadian, which pretty much null and voids the rest of that claptrap
                      LMAO

i agree with you completely. some regulars think they know everything, and while advice is helpful and encouraged, making smart ass comments and snide insinuations is plain stupid.

Comment

I will remember that when I get to that point..... hoser . Btw I dont talk like this to people on the server, even Zedic.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefBoatsRet View Post
                          I will remember that when I get to that point..... hoser . Btw I dont talk like this to people on the server, even Zedic.
                          Chief is a man of little words, he prefers to shoot you in the back.

:lol:

Chief, it was fantastic having you in Bravo yesterday. You're finding a new way to make me laugh everyday.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X