This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flashpoint '87 ARMA II Campgain

Announcing the pending release of the Flashpoint '87 campaign for ARMA II coming soon to a TG sever near you! These set of contiguous missions follow several units through several theaters of war highlighting the maps of Podagorsk, Chernarus, Celle (NEW), and Thirsk Winter (NEW).

Flashpoint '87

The outbreak of hostilities between the WARSAW pact and NATO began on Aug 2nd 1987. NATO forces had been moved onto full operational alert on July 20th following an unprecedented series military maneuvers by the red army as well as the removal of Mikhail Gorbachev and other reformers by hardliner members of the Politburo. REFORGER operations began on July 30th. The soviet lead WARSAW pact assault has been brutal. Soviet armored spearheads have demonstrated a high degree of proficiency at modern maneuver warfare. WARSAW units have made the greatest gains against NORTHAG units and cut off Jutland late on August 6th. CENTAG has been able to hold against the WARSAW formations due to the more favorable defensive terrain but the possibility of a counter offensive still appears bleak. The air war has bogged down into a bloody war of attrition with better NATO air units countering but unable to break the vast numbers of WARSAW aircraft. Night interdiction efforts by NATO all-weather attack aircraft have proven effective but have been unable to significantly slow the WARSAW pact advance. In the Atlantic a series of daring Russian airborne actions against NATO installations in the north have left the fabled Greenland-Iceland-UK defenses in tatters and have allowed soviet naval and air forces to access the central and south Atlantic where shipping losses have been catastrophic. Convoy Operations are beginning but for the foreseeable future it is up to the current ground forces and what supplies and troops can be airlifted to hold the line.

Theaters of WAR

Crimson Shield (Podagorsk):
    The 18th infantry was deployed on Aug 5th as part of REFORGER and was attached to NORTHAG in an attempt to bolster NATO defenses in the north. On the 6th it was part of the 3rd maneuver group that was cut off with Danish forces on Jutland. While the bulk of the NATO forces engaged on Jutland are preparing to hold the Kiel Canal the 412th of the 18th along with a mix of other NATO units were tasked with holding the northern outskirts Lϋbeck. During the night of the 6th under a fierce WASAW assault this blocking force was forced to withdrawal north towards the Kiel Canal. However during the night the 2nd battalion of the 412th and several other supporting units were inadvertently cut off on the Podagorsk peninsula. Crimson Shield details their story.

Red Storm ( Chernarus):
    Comming Soon

Iron Dawn ( Celles):
    August 2nd, 3rd and the morning of August 4th proved difficult for NORTHAG forces. The 3rd Russian Shock Army lead the charge across the intergerman border early in the morning of the 2nd and by 0600 on the 4th had captured Lϋneberg. The 4th Shock Army crossed lines with the 5th Guard Tanks around 1200 and the 5th began driving south west down autobahn 7 attempting to encircle Hannover. On the extreme left of the 5th advance was the 447th Motor Rifle Regiment with a division of attacked tanks. Their mission was to capture Celle an important NATO ammo depot and cross roads. The defense of Celle is primarily the responsibility of the 19th Panzergrenadier Division with the support of two US and one Canadian reserve infantry battalions that had been caught sent north to help reinforce NORTHAG forces. Iron Dawn details their story.

Thor's Hammer (Thirsk Winter):
    Thirsk island off the coast of Norway was seized by Russian airborne forces early on August 3rd. An important early warning radar site its capture has allowed Russian bomber easier access to the vital North Atlantic shipping lanes. Heavy losses among convoys carrying valuable war supplies to Europe on the 3rd and 4th have made retaking Thirsk a top priority for NATO brass. To do the job the Norwegian Rangers are sent in to assist in retaking the island. Thor’s Hammer details their story.
    Last edited by Falcon_262; 03-30-2010, 08:45 PM.

Re: Flashpoint '87 ARMA II Campgain

another excuse to not have optics? sorry falcon, not meant as an offense to you or anything, but I don't think people enjoy your missions that much. No nightvision, no optics, more waiting than fighting. You're a talented mission maker, and if you commited yourself to more "modern" scenarios, we would have great missions.

Comment

Someone agree, although your mission are well made, have no nvg or optics or anything that makes a army modern kinda kills it :P

although that is a personal opinion I know some people like your missions

My name: Adept a skilled or proficient person Abyss a deep, immeasurable space, gulf, or cavity
      So I'm a very skilled deep hole :D

Comment

Lets keep it civil but I kinda agree, I hate the 80's missions. They are boring to me. I wanna fight wars like we fight them in RL. Drop bombs,CQB, drop bombs,CQB ahhh IED, technology is why war is fun now.

Comment

I love the 80's missions personally Falcon, keep up the good work!

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. " - Albert Einstein

Comment

I think it looks damn good. Something for everybody.

I'll give it a try.
            |TG|Ghost02
            TG Pathfinder

"I travel alone through the valley of the shadow of death, yet in my heart I carry no fear, for Gods hands will guide me to Truth and Honor."

Comment

I love all the high-tech equipment currently fielded and I love the concept of combined arms, and I think it would be great to have more missions capitalizing on this.
              That said I usually don't mind playing Falcon's missions that much, if it wasn't for the fact that there is a complete lack of everything: while I think that having limited equipment is a fun concept, not having anything more advanced than Mk.1 Eyeballs in an entire platoon is stretching it.
              Not having many scoped weapons makes sense, but then again given the amount of opposition faced having at least a detached sniper team would be a welcome change (not that I think it would make that big of a difference), and while night-missions with no NVGs might be tense, not being able to see where I'm walking, and only having to rely on the muzzle flashes to spot enemy units becomes frustrating. And don't get me started on the limited amount of maps: with Expert difficulty there are NO "magic markers" or anything on the map, requiring a modicum of skill to read it, while not having a map tends to greatly reduce tactical flexibility: plenty of time I heard a SL say something along the lines of "I want you, you and you to head there, while you, you and you head to grid, while..." only for him to be interrupted by a "We don't have maps, so we have no idea where to go".
              At least we can be thankful that with the way ACE2 bandages works we don't risk being injured too much to be unabled to fight, like it happened in ACE1 (remember, in ACE1 bandages only stopped bleeding) :icon_bigg

If there's an event or anything where we will be playing them, I'll still try to attend, since these missions ARE enjoyable to play with you guys, and are still well made and usually with a ton of background information that makes the story behind the battle interesting.

Edit: I also never liked the total lack of vehicle support: while I'm not asking to have a mission where we steamroll a town as a heavy armored battallion, I wouldn't mind having SOME form of vehicle support, like a couple of armed HMMWVs and maybe even an m113 or 2. :)
              sigpic

Now with 200% more content!

Comment

Originally posted by flakt View Post
                another excuse to not have optics? sorry falcon, not meant as an offense to you or anything, but I don't think people enjoy your missions that much. No nightvision, no optics, more waiting than fighting. You're a talented mission maker, and if you commited yourself to more "modern" scenarios, we would have great missions.
                Please read if you still have specific feedback on mission design philosophy I'd love to hear it.

Originally posted by Boondocksaint View Post
                Lets keep it civil but I kinda agree, I hate the 80's missions. They are boring to me. I wanna fight wars like we fight them in RL. Drop bombs,CQB, drop bombs,CQB ahhh IED, technology is why war is fun now.
                Yes fighting modern war with lots of technology is great but if you get it so does the enemy :) . Furthermore the war you describe is a one sided engagement with one party clearing possessing nearly unlimited fire superiority not to mention good supply and air dominance. While that is exactly the way I would like to fight a war that I am personally involved in because it is great for ones longevity for a game to be fun I think it necessitates a challenge. In ARMA I would define a challenge as a scenario that tests the participants in their use of modern military tactics and the ability to confront tactical challenges that may arise over the course of the mission. Furthermore in a game we can examine scenarios that aren't necessarily reality so playing out things like WARSAW vs NATO without a nuculear holocaust is possible.

Comment

Even though my experiences come from that era and before, (some may tell you rocks and clubs) I enjoy the modern warfare weaponry more ,especially NV and ACOG. That being said, I will at least try most anything thats on the servers with a couple of exceptions, so bring it Falcon.

Comment

Again buddy just not my style, I would just like to see you branch out and do more types of missions. I am sorry man sitting on a road wai45 rea mins in a WAC mission to fight isn't fun for me. just my feelings broseph

Comment

i feel these missions will be a warm welcome especially with the new islands. the only thing i would like to see changed with your missions is the addition of different riffles with iron sites/aim points.

i understand your philosophy behind what you do, but again on the other hand your missions require team work and solid communications, i would just like to see different weapons with the same philosophy behind it!! nonetheless great work and keep it up.

"TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population....Tactical Gamer is not mainstream. We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers" ~ Apophis

Comment

With perhaps one exception, all the stuff I've played along these lines from Falcon and beta has been enjoyable. There are loads of people making missions with tons of assets, choose-your-own-arsenal, air support, tanks, blah blah - it doesn't hurt to have people experimenting with different avenues. I find it a bit disheartening to see some people so openly criticizing such efforts - isn't the spirit of the community supposed to be a bit more, I don't know... supportive?

If you don't like playing it, there are two servers, right? Vote with your presence. Or, even better, take the high road and play through it anyway. Give it your best and let your efforts make the experience more enjoyable and full for those who do enjoy that particular style. When it's done with, make your choice of follow-on mission known. There's certainly room for more than just one depiction of combat.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Bauer View Post
                          i feel these missions will be a warm welcome especially with the new islands. the only thing i would like to see changed with your missions is the addition of different riffles with iron sites/aim points.

i understand your philosophy behind what you do, but again on the other hand your missions require team work and solid communications, i would just like to see different weapons with the same philosophy behind it!! nonetheless great work and keep it up.
                          what he said

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

The spirit of the community is to state your opinions openly, everyone is entitled to them and I think as long as they are constructive it is good for mission makers to hear what people think. I play falcom missions, I don't like them but I play them because he makes them for us.

Comment

Originally posted by Boondocksaint View Post
                              The spirit of the community is to state your opinions openly, everyone is entitled to them and I think as long as they are constructive it is good for mission makers to hear what people think. I play falcom missions, I don't like them but I play them because he makes them for us.
                              agreed. I play them still, its just that the way they play out is always the same, and in the night versions with no visibility, you spend more time trying to figure out what's going on than actually playing and having fun. just my opinion, though.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X