Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Build me a rig!

Howdy yall!
    For those that dont know i moved to holland recently. I want to buy a laptop that will run arma2 ACE but not be too expensive. I realize this may be impossible but whats the lowest priced rig to give decent performance. I would be willing (and able) to assemble the parts myself. I dont want to run the game on max everything, just something to play comfortably on. Anyone?
    Nihility

Re: Build me a rig!

Here is a good one for about 1200. Soupy's laptoy link

Specs

• Intel® Core™ i7 Mobile processor capable (6MB L3 Cache, 1.60GHz, mPGA-989)
    Upgradeable up to Intel® Core™ i7-820QM Processor (8MB L3 Cache, 1.73GHz, mPGA-989))

• ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 Graphics with DX 11 support
    • Vibrant 15.6" Full HD LED display
    • HDMI port support full 1080P
    • 4GB Dual DDR3 Memory at 1333MHz
    • 320GB 7200rpm SATA 300 Hard Drive Upgradeable up to 640GB SATA 300 Hard Drive
    • Microsoft® Windows® 7 Home Premium

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Assemble a laptop by yourself? Can that be done? Anyway "rockdirect.com" in the uk seemed good when I looked quite a while ago, and they are still there it seems. Other than that browse good value online shops like dabs, novatech, ebuyer, scan, overclockers (though I did have a tiny bit of bad service from them once), microdirect, CCL computers.
      "Can't waste a day when the night brings a hearse
      So make a move and plead the fifth 'cause you can't plead the first."

Interesting Articles__________News
      tinyurl.com/PipelineGeopolitics_____prisonplanet.com
      tinyurl.com/USTrainGeorgia_______globalresearch.ca
      tinyurl.com/Rumsfeld-GeorgianDM__engdahl.oilgeopolitics.net
      tinyurl.com/Georgia3rdinIraq

Comment

Only one person to ask - Bamboo

Comment

Upgrade the internal drive to a SSD, that will make a big difference.

Comment

Nice one for the replies guys but i was hopeing someone had actually ran arma2 on a rig and then could advise me!
            Nihility

Comment

Originally posted by Soupy_Norman View Post
              Nice one for the replies guys but i was hopeing someone had actually ran arma2 on a rig and then could advise me!
              Here's some advice if you want to run Arma: 2 good mate... put some money into a desktop.

Comment

I think you need to clarify whether you want a laptop or not. When you start talking about assembling a rig it sounds more like a desktop.
                |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

If that's the case, I know a friend who ran ArmAII in his MacBookPro.
                  He said it ran fine.

TGU Instructor · TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean · Former ARMA Admin · Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

I have an HP DV7, it's going on 2 years old but it runs ArmA 2. It did however just barely run it which more or less forced me to build myself a desktop:)

Specs on the DV7:
                    Intel Core 2 Duo P8400 @ 2.26 GHz
                    Nvidia 9600M GT - HDMI out to hook up to a bigger monitor or TV
                    4 GB DDR2, I believe it's 667 MHz
                    5400 RPM HDD - Probly KILLS, and I MEAN KILLS the performance so look for 7200 RPMs or plan on dropping at least $100 on a new SSD
                    17" 1680x1050 - Was big, now they have 18"ers... and I thought mine was kinda heavy it around school all day
                    Full keyboard with Num Pad, which I recommend. You need all the keys you can get for this game.
                    $1200 US when I bought it in 8/08

It ran at around 15 FPS AVG with settings on "normal" and "low" @ 1280x800. So just BARELY playable. This was with older drivers on earlier patches, so the performance might be better now. I just haven't felt the need to try it again since building the "rig".

I would say shoot for a little better than these specs, which shouldn't be hard considering the fact that it's 2 years old now and you'll be in business. I think the new DV7's are running i7's with GeForce 200's so that might be a choice. I think they start at around a grand and go up. I've been happy with mine up to this point, and I think an upgrade to an SSD will keep me going with it for maybe 2 more years, we'll see.

Sorry I don't have any good suggestions for you, I haven't really been looking at laptops since I got mine. Good luck with the search.

Pretty Sick Machine here : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834220695
                    Last edited by Gungnir; 04-01-2010, 12:50 AM. Reason: updated a few specs and linked a sick machine

Comment

Howdy yall!
                      For those that dont know i moved to holland recently.
                      Now you can smoke as much weed as you want, legally :D !

Comment

I would recommend one of the new Alienware M17x's (im using a brand new one, all specs maxed out). you can get the base one with only the i7 upgrade for around 1500$ (google for discount codes first).

Even the base model is a beast. laptop is heavy tho (11 pounds)

|TG-TFP|Jaynus
                        Task Force Proteus

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X