Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What kind of missions does TG like? Discussion supervised by TG Mission Dev Team

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of missions does TG like? Discussion supervised by TG Mission Dev Team

Hello everybody, as member of TG Mission Development Team, I would like to ask you a question and start discussion. What kind of missions would you guys like to see, here on TG Servers? What should be included in the mission, any particular elements, and way of playing that you like?

TG Mission Dev Team is here for you guys, to create fun scenarios, and increase level of missions. We need to know first what you think perfect and enjoyable mission is for you?

Feel free to discuss here, in this thread. TG Mission Dev Team would use it as reference while creating new scenarios.
    Last edited by Mikee; 04-12-2010, 07:59 PM.

Re: What kind of missions does TG like? Discussion supervised by TG Mission Dev Team

My 2 cents on what I would like to see:

1. Freedom of objectives. I dislike linear missions where, for the sake of simplicity, I am forced to go from A, to B, to C, to D; from a command perspective, its overall boring to lead unless you micromanage to give yourself something to do. Ex of what I like: You have 3 objectives. No order required. You must complete them all. Command's intent is you approach XYZ. And thats it.
    2. Fail conditions. I dislike time limits, but civilians deaths, respawn tickets, "over run" time limits, and the like I really like.
    3. Infantry-centric missions. I know we all love mechanized warfare; and the missions where *everything* is mechanized is great. But some missions have revolved around the 2 tanks; the infantry just run around and clean up the mess.
    4. Less kitting options. A good amount of TG play time is spent kitting. Get rid of it; You start with good equipment, and there's more ammo available SOMEWHERE ELSE in the mission (be it ammo truck, enemy dump, something). I think it helps 2 fold: it decreases start time, and increases the need for logistical thinking
    5. Missions that force pre-planning and scouting from commander. We still all currently run our missions as "this is our objective, we know everything, lets go!". A mission where you have to do a recce with a single element, find out whats there, and THEN send your main force would be awesome.

|TG-TFP|Jaynus
    Task Force Proteus

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but Im just not close enough to get the job done."

Comment

Re: What kind of missions does TG like? Discussion supervised by TG Mission Dev Team

Just had a discussion about this with Carver. I know many regulars don't like Domination, but I have enjoyed playing side missions on the beta server the past few weeks. The server might be empty, so I hop on and before you know it we have about 5 or 6 guys on the server and all we are doing are side missions. I enjoy the small size of the group and it's very organized (usually uncharacteristic for Domination) and you get more time in game. So maybe a mission that consists of a few complicated side missions?
      There are four steps to game play on the ArmA servers- map selection, slotting up, briefing and game play and it seems that sometimes we spend entirely too much time on the first three and not enough on the last. A mission that consists of changing side missions would cut a good bit of that out, would demand good leadership skills and communication. Just my thoughts.

Comment

What with the rather strict enforcements on what posts go where, perhaps this should be moved to Mission Discussion before it's locked?

Comment

1) Gotta agree with Jaynus and Seg. Leadership and communication is paramount.
          Played a mission recently where several players were complaining at the slot-up that it was to difficult, undoable etc. But it was a great mission. Keen cooperation, good comms (in spite of a2ts pug growing pains) and great leadship and planning. We won. Thats what ARMA2 TG is all about.

2) Like to start missions with the correct gear. Even without some gear. Forces player to cooperate.

3) No respawn. Immersion emphasis rather than big kill numbers. Most of the best missions my kills are single digit. But I come home alive. I had a few epic missions with no kills.

4) Appreciate scheduled ops rather than logging on and hoping for a good mission.

5) Also like settings where map position and unit icons are invisible - need to navigate.
          Jimbo

"Help improve immersion, eliminate the green diamonds and map unit icons."

Comment

Originally posted by Sc[ + ]pe View Post
            What with the rather strict enforcements on what posts go where, perhaps this should be moved to Mission Discussion before it's locked?
            It's not going to be moved to Mission Discussion, because most of the people check this subforum. My and TG Mission Dev Team intention is to get this towards as many people as possible.

Comment

Please no silly suggestions guys. Just a forewarning.
              |TG|Ghost02
              TG Pathfinder

"I travel alone through the valley of the shadow of death, yet in my heart I carry no fear, for Gods hands will guide me to Truth and Honor."

Comment

Originally posted by jaynus View Post
                My 2 cents on what I would like to see:

1. Freedom of objectives. I dislike linear missions where, for the sake of simplicity, I am forced to go from A, to B, to C, to D; from a command perspective, its overall boring to lead unless you micromanage to give yourself something to do. Ex of what I like: You have 3 objectives. No order required. You must complete them all. Command's intent is you approach XYZ. And thats it.
                2. Fail conditions. I dislike time limits, but civilians deaths, respawn tickets, "over run" time limits, and the like I really like.
                3. Infantry-centric missions. I know we all love mechanized warfare; and the missions where *everything* is mechanized is great. But some missions have revolved around the 2 tanks; the infantry just run around and clean up the mess.
                4. Less kitting options. A good amount of TG play time is spent kitting. Get rid of it; You start with good equipment, and there's more ammo available SOMEWHERE ELSE in the mission (be it ammo truck, enemy dump, something). I think it helps 2 fold: it decreases start time, and increases the need for logistical thinking
                5. Missions that force pre-planning and scouting from commander. We still all currently run our missions as "this is our objective, we know everything, lets go!". A mission where you have to do a recce with a single element, find out whats there, and THEN send your main force would be awesome.
                Well good news! Beta and I are really focusing our new missions on getting back down to the basics of short, sweet and simple infantry operations, putting the emphasis on randomness and re-playability and on good tactics. Leaders who perform good leadership recce, and keep their squads in good order with maximum flexibility will come out on top. With a limited number of objectives and plenty of room to maneuver we should be able to get hours of enjoyment out of the missions.

Just as an aside the kind of feedback on things like time limits tickets, and respawns vs no respawn is just the kind of feedback that really helps the mission makers so keep it up!

Comment

Limited time/tickets are awesome. They keep the mission from dragging on too long (especially if it CF's) Missions with tickets only last long when everyone is on the ball, which is never a bad mission to play a couple hours of.

Comment

I much prefer missions that require something like real-world tactics and organization. I do think the briefings sometimes give too much information, and too little thought is often given to sending out recce/scout units. Since this is, in the end, a game that we play for fun, I disagree with the comments on no respawns, no map locations, etc. That stuff is just frustrating and serves no useful purpose. You just don't have the same level of situational awareness in the game as you would in real life, which makes navigating tedious at best, for no real return in enjoyment. Same thing with no respawn - most of the time, I don't see who kills me, so if I'm going to be expected to play for some 20-30 minutes while the mission gets going, then die and stay dead shortly thereafter, then I'm just going to go find something more fun to play. Now, if there are penalties for dying, such as timers, tickets, loss of your gear etc., I'm all for that as it curbs the mindless running around and stupid gameplay that otherwise often results.

I agree with the poster who mentioned cutting down on gear-up time. Not only does it take a while but it seems a bit unrealistic to me. The "Everybody grab an anti-tank weapon" just doesn't seem right. I'd much rather the mission developers build proper role-based loadouts into the mission slots, then we can just get on with it. Provide an ammo-dump or cargo vehicles for in-game supply if it's needed.

I've enjoyed some of the combined arms missions we've had lately, and of course the various infantry operations missions are always good. I've not played Domination, but if it turns the game into some sort of frag-fest like most FPS games, then no thanks. That's what I dislike the most...
                    |TG-18th| Cutter

Long-time Gamer - ArmA 2 Noob - Certified Old Fart

Comment

Originally posted by Mikee View Post
                      It's not going to be moved to Mission Discussion, because most of the people check this subforum. My and TG Mission Dev Team intention is to get this towards as many people as possible.
                      But Mikee, that's been the intention of all the other threads that have been locked/deleted/moved by admins for being in the incorrect subforum. Mainly I do this to point out the inconsistencies in this policy rather than in the reason this thread is where it is.

Comment

well scope they were asked by the admins to post this here. If you have any other problems I would be happy to address them in the CAA forum.

Comment

1hr30 time limits would be nice for most missions unless there are multiple phases as alluded to earlier in this thread (small group recce -> plan assault). 2hr max, really. I don't want to be on the same mission all night.

If it's going to last more than 40min, give us respawns. That said, respawning in place is ridiculous and completely kills the immersion.

If the enemy is going to counter attack, have them do it in force. I'm tired of 15-AI counter attacks that never remotely threaten our position in the larger games. Have a bloody platoon with a tank or two come over the hill and now there you have a game changer.

More tanks, more BMPs, more aggression from them.

Vanilla medical + revive (maybe once then you respawn at the FOB, get another revive, then again respawn). Actually gives you a reason to suppress the enemy, pop smoke, drag your buddies out of harm's way, and give them aid, since most of the time people die and there's really little to do with ACE med. If you make the revive timer something like 90sec instead of 4 minutes, it would really make taking care of your squad mates important. Right now, with ACE, it's basically: who has morphine? I need morphine? Help! My vision is blurry! It's pointless and dull, and I don't think anyone will be sad to see it go.

Plus, it accomplishes the "keep everyone together" aspect of respawning in place, and is far more realistic than respawning in general. I loved the vanilla medical approach, it was a huge improvement over A1's, and ACE's med is really just repackaged A1 ACE med, with all the immersion-breaking animations to go with it. A2 vanilla's medical has great animations and immersion value, why don't we use it ever? I loved healing and treating my teammates in SP just for the animations. It is 10x better than ACE. I cannot stress enough how terrible the ACE medical system is.

Predetermined kits are nice, but having a little freedom of choice is also nice. I really don't think spending 5 minutes on kitting is "a good amount of TG play" given it takes us 15 minutes to set everything up and 60+ minutes to play. That said, having the option of every single weapon, including Opfor and weaps your unit has no business using, is ridiculous. I love the missions where there are boxes with limited stuff in them, perhaps without any actual weapon choice outside of a stock M4 and M16 and sidearms.

DMs should get DMRs. SPRs are useless, and the DMR just rocks compared to the M24. I know IRL it might be a different story, but in ACE the SPR is the ish. 50+ cals aren't meant for taking out infantry, and they really shouldn't be an option on just about any map.

Mission design: yes, less "take obj 1,2,3" is extremely uninteresting. You guys have certainly made such missions about as interesting as you can, but there's only so much you can do with it. I would like to see more variety in missions, perhaps having one squad do a patrol while another guards a point on an "infantry defensive"; perhaps have branching storylines depending on how previous parts of the mission were accomplished.

More AI. More AI. More AI. Less static AI, less static AI. I honestly do not find a lot of the current missions challenging when there's respawns. Maybe it's because I'm so awesome, but really there's just a lack of opposition. 30 players should be able to take on 150+ AI. I think there's the one new SpecOps mission where you have to be stealthy or you will all die. But there's like only 25 AI that will actually attack you, and with a 20-man squad with modern, full kit and position, that's a joke. Throw 80 AI patrolling and you have an actual reason to keep your heads down.

More CQB, more cities! Cheeerist, give us some proper urban combat now that we've lost the two good urban combat maps (Af&Av).

If you have respawn at a base, make sure there are enough vehicles if it's across water/etc. Killing platoon driver type spots would be nice, since no one wants to sit around playing delivery boy in his free time. This would require making non-respawn missions, which can be accomplished with revive.

Everyone actually has to RTB at the end! Basically, make it so that someone with a radio can, at any time, end the mission in the base given that all active players are within its (a trigger area or something) boundaries. Or at least request it in the briefing.

Another idea along those lines: when you "capture a position" and that's the winning obj, spawn some friendly AI to come replace you. Little immersion touches like that, you know, having a full platoon march over the hill after you fought hard to take the town, so you can be relieved properly.

If there's no respawn, making sure all bodies are accounted for and taken back to base would also be a nice addition. This gets back to how much I loathe ACE medical and the current approach, which is "he's dead, okay, so long" or "wave my hands around magically to make him stop bleeding as I conjure up some clotting with my mystical powers, now he'll have blurry vision until the medic comes around with his contact lens morphine". We leave men behind all the time at TG... where's the realism in that? Where's the teamwork? It would add a huge new aspect to the gameplay, but with ACE and no revive, no needing to account for bodies, we cannot get it.

I think vanilla med, 2-3 lives revive, with a 120sec timer would be the best thing to happen to TG missions since ArmA2 came out. Also is a way to get to the "limited tickets" approach, since if 2/3rds of your squad bites it and you have to assault 80+ AI, it's time to RTB and/or call the mission.

Civilians. Civilians. Civilians. I know it might not be easy given that I'm also asking for a ton more AI, what with server load and all, but along with my urban combat plea, make sure there are actually non-combatants you have to look out for, and make it a mission-ender if BLUFOR kills too many.

Comment

Black Hawk Down TvT using all of the goodies ACE has to offer!

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. " - Albert Einstein

Comment

I've only been playing the game for a short time, but I would love more open (tactically, as explained by jaynus), infantry-focused missions, and more TvT.
                              Not having everything set and needing to say patrol, recce an area to find certain things out would increase immersion, and would be a lot of fun.
                              In-game nick: [FSG]Oskar Xfire: wrestlersesf

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X