Operation Arrowhead... RELEASE DATE!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Operation Arrowhead... RELEASE DATE!!

The official press release for ArmA 2 - Operation Arrowhead has been released!
    Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead will be released on 29th June exclusively for PC.

Quote :
    Prague, Czech Republic, April 22nd
    Award-winning independent development studio Bohemia Interactive today confirmed that Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead, the forthcoming standalone expansion pack for Arma 2, best military simulator of 2009, will be available to buy across the globe from June 29th. Developed as a massive standalone expansion pack enlarging Arma 2 to a completely new level, Operation Arrowhead promises to deliver yet more of the highly authentic military simulation game play the series is famed for, while shifting the action to an all-new environment and adding key new features to Arma 2’s already vast palette.

Set in the fictional region of Takistan and taking place three years after the Arma 2’s campaign, Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead features three new world maps with radical new terrain; sandy deserts, a dense city with surrounding countryside and a rocky mountainous region. Also included in the standalone expansion pack is support for controlling unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) to observe, strike and rescue from afar, along with a fully-modelled FLIR thermal imaging simulation with unprecedented realism to give the player advantages while working at night, going as far as to model vehicle engine heat, tyre friction and even glowing weapon barrels after being fired. A new campaign is included, with Bohemia Interactive taking the experience gained from its previous games, combined with real world events and political intrigue, to create a storyline that serves as a chilling reminder to the geo-political situation the world finds itself in on a constant basis. Other new features include a detachable backpack system for carrying more weapons and ammunition, and an overhauled optics system allowing keen marksmen to ‘zero in’ their scopes to account for ballistic fall-off.

ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead employs a third-generation engine benefiting from more than a decade of continual development and unique experience in implementing new technologies and procedures. Named the Real Virtuality engine, it is widely recognized as the premier platform for modern military simulations where realism and technical accuracy are crucial. Bohemia Interactive Studio’s Real Virtuality engine is used as a base for real-world training simulators implemented by numerous governments and militaries around the world including the United States Marine Corps, the United Kingdom Ministry of Defense and the Australian Defense Force.

ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead features in full:

• New Playable Content: New story campaign for both single and multi-player gameplay. Wide range of new tutorials, single scenarios and multiplayer modes.
    • Massive Game World: Three brand new Central Asia-style large maps including expansive urban, desert and mountainous terrain, featuring a fully destructible and interactive environment.
    • Extra Units and Vehicles: Multiple factions for all sides including US Army, United Nations, Takistani Army and Guerrillas making a collection of 300+ new units, weapons and vehicles.
    • Ultimate War Simulation Experience: Fully integrates with the original ARMA 2 for unmatched warfare simulation.
    • Unique Gameplay Elements: Detachable backpacks with equipment, advanced weapon optics, material penetration modeling, remote real-time simulation of Unmanned Arial Vehicles (UAV), freedom of decision and repercussive actions.

Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead will be released on 29th June exclusively for PC.

Re: Operation Arrowhead... RELEASE DATE!!

Huh. That's a bit earlier than I expected. Hooray!

Comment

Yeah that's pretty soon, I was thinking more about Q3/Q4.
      But then again there can always be delays. (hope not)

Alex

Comment

Originally posted by h3killa View Post
        300+ new units, weapons and vehicles.
        I shat brix.

Damnit Blizzard, fix ZvT already >.<
        In Soviet Russian, Arma admins are nice to you!

Comment

Several more previews released following the date announcement:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=10274 (town construction module)

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=10277 (4players.de)

| |

Comment

town building is awesome, great way to change everything up all the time

My name: Adept a skilled or proficient person Abyss a deep, immeasurable space, gulf, or cavity
            So I'm a very skilled deep hole :D

Comment

what does it mean by this:
              Ultimate War Simulation Experience: Fully integrates with the original ARMA 2 for unmatched warfare simulation.

will A2 update with all the new features like that funky flir and stuff?

Comment

Originally posted by Jackspyder View Post
                what does it mean by this:
                Ultimate War Simulation Experience: Fully integrates with the original ARMA 2 for unmatched warfare simulation.

will A2 update with all the new features like that funky flir and stuff?
                Can't imagine why they wouldn't, however the question is will they update ArmA 2 to give FLIR to those without Arrowhead?
                Also probably means they port the Warfare game mode on the new islands.

In a world of Herp, one man dares to Derp.

Comment

I hope there will be delay, simply because it will decrease amount of players here in TG. Some people will buy Arrowhead, while others will wait longer or stay with Arma 2. Again, community will get slap in the face.

Comment

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=10282

New video...

Damn, someone need to upload it to youtube and translate it!

Sapientiam Autem Non Vincit Malitia

Comment

Originally posted by Mikee View Post
                      I hope there will be delay, simply because it will decrease amount of players here in TG. Some people will buy Arrowhead, while others will wait longer or stay with Arma 2. Again, community will get slap in the face.
                      Hello Mikee,
                      Firstly, thank you for your constant efforts in making great missions. Your input into the ArmAII community is certainly not missed.
                      I am certain that the admin team will look into making the smooth transition into Operation Arrowhead, as with any other titles that are brought into TG.
                      Keep up the great work Mikee and as always, if you have any questions or suggestions feel free to contact me at any time.

TGU Instructor · TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean · Former ARMA Admin · Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

I think we can satisfy the own/not own crowds by supporting it like BF2 supports PR, an Admin in charge who reports to the GO, with its own forums, etc...
                        Last edited by ACOGRecon; 04-24-2010, 08:17 AM. Reason: spelling & grammar

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. " - Albert Einstein

Comment

Other than the FLIR, I'm very happy to see that we will have some new features (that IMO should have been avaiable already in ArmA2) like the ability to manually zero your scope, more units, more weapons, working backpacks, new radar/countermeasures system, new vehicle HUD (like the IHADSS for the Apache) with a visual feedback of the condition of the various subsystems and the ability to see the FOV of the various crewmembers. I'm still not too happy with the way the Jav works, but at least now it seems that once you have selected a target, it will stay locked on that, but I'm willing to bet that on the harder difficulty levels (with NO target box) we will still have Javelins hitting everything but what we want them to hit.
                          sigpic

Now with 200% more content!

Comment

Deciding what to do about Arrowhead with regards to TG might not be that straightforward... I would recommend commuity discussion of this since while QG, from what I've heard, was hardly worth being called an expansion pack, OA has a lot more going for it. Also, if you take a look at ACE2 roadmap, version 1.3.0 is, from the looks of it, going to be released on OA. They have a series of features waiting on OA engine improvements, such as SOFLAM beams and with that the possibility for more realistic night fighting.

On the other hand, I don't really feel like playing vanilla OA for a month or more after release, or however long it may take the ACE2 team to sort out issues on the new game. Unfortunately that probably goes against the TG goal of being "in the game" as soon as possible so as to draw more people in. With regards to that, I have some doubts that people who weren't interested in the original game would suddenly pick up OA, or even that there would be enough of them to add a significant amount of players to this community.

Consider the fact that OA, as a standalone game, will apparently link with A2 in a way that will require you to have both in order to use content from the original game - which means anyone who wants to play here would have to have A2 already, meaning they could just play A2+ACE2 in the meantime anyway. Not to mention the fact that as ACE2 contains a lot of features and systems aimed at content from A2, it might require both games to run, meaning if you run an OA-only server it may always have to be vanilla.

That's a lot of rambling, but what I'm trying to say here is that in my opinion there is more to it than just deciding whether to support it or not - and I think community involvement in deciding where TG goes with this could prevent the OA release from being a community-fracturing disaster, which I think might happen if we just charge into this blindly... not to be overdramatic or anything.

Note that I'm not sure everything will be exactly as stated above, so don't take that as the absolute truth or anything... I'm not sure anyone knows exactly how everything will work yet.

Comment

Operation Arrowhead is standalone game, that doesn't require Arma 2 to work.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X