Interest in CAS training?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interest in CAS training?

One of my favorite areas in ArmA coop is operating as a CAS jet or helo, but it seems not many mission makers add such options. In my opinion I think this is because CAS aircraft are either unable to provide a significant advantage meaning a wasted player slot...or alternatively they are TOO affective making for a boring mission for all other players.

In an effort to increase the number of missions where CAS is an option and to increase fun for both pilot and ground forces I propose a joint training event where both people who like to pilot and ground forces ready to act as JTACs (joint terminal attack controllers) can learn how to both call in and deliver an effective Close Air Support sortie that serves to increase the teamwork involved in a mission and increase the choices mission makers and in game commanders have in designing and carrying out a mission.

so if you would be interested in participating please say so below and also which you would like to learn

CAS Pilot, JTAC, or both.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You will not survive the storm."
    The warrior whispers back, "I AM the storm."

Re: Interest in CAS training?

I was just thinking about how CAS is not used too much because it's too devastating.

I would be interested in both!

Comment

Not to be the Debbie Downer of the thread, but without Mando installed I see seriously little point in having air support for the foreseeable future.

Comment

Mando broke more CAS weapons than it "fixed". Laser designate bombs simply didn't pick up lases, chopper crews couldn't toggle weapons properly, and you had even more obscure keybinds to set. I don't miss mando at all.

Comment

The attack choppers save for the ATGMs on the Ka-52 are fine with ACE, much better that the "click and lock" with Mando, which was hardly more difficult than default ArmA "tab and lock"

In a world of Herp, one man dares to Derp.

Comment

Charles, I definitely commend you for wanting to get this on the ball and I am more than intrigued as to what your bringing to the table. If you'd like to host something like this I'd be interested to hear your thoughts and opinions on such a training. If you can mate, get with me on Wednesday via Teamspeak and we can do some 'shop talk'. With my old communications course there is already a general template for CAS requests and All Arms Call For Fire but again, I am interested in hearing what you've got. Look forward to tee'ing up with you.

Pro Patria

Comment

I think a CAS training course would be a great idea: although many people claim that rotary CAS is overpowered, I've seen plenty of missions where the "godmodeondeathmachine" was downed before managing to fire even one shot due pilot-based errors and/or improper ground-air communications.
              As such a course where pilots and gunner learn how to properly employ an attack helo, where the gound forces learn how to properly communicate vital informations (like AAA, MANPADs, priority targets, location of friendly forces...) and where there fixed-wing pilots learn proper approach/egress routes and how to better employ the limited-in-numbers ordnance to achieve the best results.
              sigpic

Now with 200% more content!

Comment

Originally posted by Zedic View Post
                Charles, I definitely commend you for wanting to get this on the ball and I am more than intrigued as to what your bringing to the table. If you'd like to host something like this I'd be interested to hear your thoughts and opinions on such a training. If you can mate, get with me on Wednesday via Teamspeak and we can do some 'shop talk'. With my old communications course there is already a general template for CAS requests and All Arms Call For Fire but again, I am interested in hearing what you've got. Look forward to tee'ing up with you.

ah i diddn't even realise your course had a CAS template..ill have to look it over, as far as wednesday might be a bad day but not sure yet so ill let you know, but yeah either way template or not training how to use the template would be good traiing :)

Originally posted by Merula View Post
                I think a CAS training course would be a great idea: although many people claim that rotary CAS is overpowered, I've seen plenty of missions where the "godmodeondeathmachine" was downed before managing to fire even one shot due pilot-based errors and/or improper ground-air communications.
                As such a course where pilots and gunner learn how to properly employ an attack helo, where the gound forces learn how to properly communicate vital informations (like AAA, MANPADs, priority targets, location of friendly forces...) and where there fixed-wing pilots learn proper approach/egress routes and how to better employ the limited-in-numbers ordnance to achieve the best results.
                exactly what I would like to address

that and it seems even with TG as soon as people hop into an A10 they forget the word team and fly directly to target and engage all enemies until they are shot down or crash. or worse they continue to enagege even after friendlies have entered the area resulting in TKs.

and even when they do wait for orders..it is usually "fly to target and engage at will" playing on other servers when TG's numbers are at 0 I have seen other groups employ CAS even in TvT games such as warfare and even in stock arma an A10 can be a powerful CAS tool using its gun and rockets, and even freefall GBUs can be aimed if trained properly

Fate whispers to the warrior "You will not survive the storm."
                The warrior whispers back, "I AM the storm."

Comment

I'm up for CAS pilot training.
                  If I can find time for it.

Alex

Comment

The only problem with adding cas to missions, is everyone wants to be the awesome pilot who pew pews and wins the day

My name: Adept a skilled or proficient person Abyss a deep, immeasurable space, gulf, or cavity
                    So I'm a very skilled deep hole :D

Comment

Mission makers could at least provide an option for CAS, in the end its up to the CO to decide wheter he wants to use it.
                      I've been the awesome pilot on missions where I waited for an hour or didnt get an inch of the ground at all.
                      I love flying so waiting is often a part of the role aswell.

Comment

I'm up for the training. JTAC. Would appreciate about a weeks notice.
                        Jimbo

"Help improve immersion, eliminate the green diamonds and map unit icons."

Comment

The problem I have with Cas in my missions is that its so unpredictable. One time the pilot will be blown out of the air on his first attack run and the infantry will have to do it alone, which leads to them complaining the mission is to hard. The next time you play the same mission the plane annihilates everything on the map, and then the inf complains the CAS is overpowered and the mission sis boring. I have experimented with fixed wing in some of my missions and that seems more predictable then heli's, but its still very annoying and hard to implement into missions, at least for me.

Comment

If I'm around, would love to take part in this....

I'm mainly a transport helo pilot but can also keep an AH very steady for gunners...
                            [RIP] Rusty In Places - Games Commander

Comment

Current comm system is not very CAS friendly. As a result prepare to take alot of flak from fubar CAS runs....pilots allways get the blame when ive found alot of the time the FAC is just plane (get it?) rubbish and has no idea what they are doing. Maybe an FAC course first might be better?
                              Nihility

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X