X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Omega Events

Just want some feedback from you guys.

#1: What kind of missions would you like to see for our events

#2: Do you like the format, many short missions varying styles of play.

#3: Anything we can do better

The 2nd omega event was great, we had lots of people show up and stay on most of the night so we would like to keep it going. What do you guys think.

Re: Omega Events

I loved the combined arms aspect of the most recent event (there is nothing cooler then watch CAS in action), I only wish that we could do something of the like from the perspective of a Stryker Brigade. The format for the event was fine, for what I saw, I think the length of the first mission was just right - it gave you enough time to really get into character and work together as a unit.

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. " - Albert Einstein

Comment

Agreed, like the combined arms aspects, we need more maps like this. Just try and make sure that all sections of the army are used, last even the cas and SF teams got all the action

My name: Adept a skilled or proficient person Abyss a deep, immeasurable space, gulf, or cavity
      So I'm a very skilled deep hole :D

Comment

As stated above the combined arms aspect was great. I wish the AV-88's could have had more to shoot at but I digress. Next one that is big like that, we should do in forested areas or a city. Really test the pilots out :)

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

I've taken part in a few of these events now and really enjoy them but my only comment is that I missed the last event because I couldn't find the password to get on the server. I did ask twice in TS and was told the password but couldn't get it to work and didn't wont to keep asking, so left and went to play elsewhere... :(

On previous events, the password was in the TS channel - easy to find for everybody....
          [RIP] Rusty In Places - Games Commander

Comment

I would like to see no respawns, Special Forces, Air Units, Mechanized Inf,Tanks, multiple objectives, and having to extract back to base in order to complete the mission.Try to give the commander many tools and options in order to complete the Operation with creativity.

Comment

we discovered a long time ago no respawns in long events are a no-go, it sucks to wait all week to die in the first 5 seconds due to some random arma 2 super sniper, so respawns are staying

Comment

Originally posted by AdeptAbyss View Post
                Agreed, like the combined arms aspects, we need more maps like this. Just try and make sure that all sections of the army are used, last even the cas and SF teams got all the action
                I have a campaign with combined arms (Winsen Spoil, Winsen Reduction, Garssen Breakout, Queloh Depot Raid on Celle so far). People ask for combined arms missions but they don't play them often. Why?

If done with realism the gameplay is more complex, and it has a steeper learning curve. Unrealistic combined arms scenarios are cakewalks (aka killing everything with a tank). I have put a lot of effort into creating a fully modeled combined arms environment - i.e. artillery, ATGMs, flanking maneuvers, long range engagements, quick reaction forces, screens etc

Ultimately ARMA II does long range vehicle combat poorly, and it requires a series of tricks and extensive workarounds to make the AI act non-retarded. The game very poorly models air war, both the vehicles and the gameplay. The engine best simulates infantry, which is why WAC missions offer the best gameplay possible.

Back on topic in response to Boon:
                1. Anything that is challenging, relies upon tactics and cohesion to win, believability, MUST have a loss condition. Unlosable missions are not games at all, just toys. Anything by Beta. I highly recommend running one of his two platoon TVTs that just passed QA.

Allow for a general AAR period after the mission, don't just start up another mission. People need to reflect on what they have done. Also this provides a great time for feedback. Helps to build a memorable experience.

A general introduction to play style and standards at TG before we begin (including a rundown for the time table of events, i.e. picking a mission, picking a commander, picking squad leaders etc) - manners and respect have been subpar as of late. Unnecessary questions slow everything down.

More exhaustive briefings, the Taku Ghar briefing was too short to a fault. At no point did I have an understanding of intent, concept of operation, my relation to other units or service support during the mission. If I were a grunt, this might be acceptable, but I was a squad leader responsible for 1/3 of the force being deployed on the ground.

Signals standards - "stepping" on people's communications is unacceptable, lack of callsigns, and using side chat is becoming more and more common. I remember when people would be warned and then banned if they tried to use side chat during a mission ON BRAVO, and it was unheard of on Alpha. This was a good thing.
                Last edited by tyrspawn; 05-18-2010, 11:19 PM.

Comment

I have a campaign with combined arms (Winsen Spoil, Winsen Reduction, Garssen Breakout, Queloh Depot Raid on Celle so far). People ask for combined arms missions but they don't play them often. Why?
                  my guess is there isnt enough people on a consistent basis and no one knows that they are combined arms

"TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population....Tactical Gamer is not mainstream. We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers" ~ Apophis

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Bauer View Post
                    no one knows that they are combined arms
                    Well yes, we tried to make a thread in general where people actually read about the new campaigns on the server and the thread was moved to mod discussion. I really think we should have a thread called "New Mission Bulletin" or something. Pinned in general. Where mission makers can introduce their new missions uploaded AFTER PASSING THROUGH QA. They would be invited and encouraged to post screenshots and video, as well as the briefing in plain text.

i think it would be great if players could check that thread on a daily basis to see what is new on the server.

Comment

side is used for SQLs thats the only people I saw using it during the event. AARS are for the forums not TS, that way people won't leave and the whole reason we have a MOD/mission section is to talk about missions, they can read about them there.

Comment

well if you really think about it, the place you post was moved to was called the "mod and mission development" from what i gather, we, the administration team are trying to keep the forums tidy and thus why your post was moved there. i also take from the name of the forum that, that it might be the place for information for stuff like this.

i know what helps me maintain up-to-date info when my nose isnt in a book is the "whats New" tab at the top of every screen. Plus advising people on TS or in game when the admin on duty asks for suggestions, you could speak up and inform people about the new missions and inform them about the forum and the new missions.

"TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population....Tactical Gamer is not mainstream. We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers" ~ Apophis

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Bauer View Post
                          well if you really think about it, the place you post was moved to was called the "mod and mission development" from what i gather, we, the administration team are trying to keep the forums tidy and thus why your post was moved there. i also take from the name of the forum that, that it might be the place for information for stuff like this.

i know what helps me maintain up-to-date info when my nose isnt in a book is the "whats New" tab at the top of every screen. Plus advising people on TS or in game when the admin on duty asks for suggestions, you could speak up and inform people about the new missions and inform them about the forum and the new missions.
                          Im at risk of getting off topic of the thread here so this will be my last post on this:

How would a pinned thread in general untidy the forums? There is no "whats new" thread that you speak of for new missions. Hence why I think a publicly visible "bulletin" about new missions would be worthwhile. The closest we have is the mission submission thread. That is flawed however: new submissions are cleared as they go through QA, and the posts are geared toward technical information rather than an "abstract" of gameplay.

And word of mouth is great when its applicable, but as things are right now i'm the only one who really knows about what is new on the server (due to spending hours on a weekly basis doing QA). Whenever i'm admin or in a position to advise to the admin I try to make it known that new missions are being uploaded but its not enough to keep the gameplay on the server properly varied. Theres a great deal of work going unnoticed. My 2 cents.

Comment

I have mentioned several times the need for a mission database w/synopsis, to assist voted and server admins in picking missions quickly and apprising players as to what missions are on the server so they can peruse the list and decide what interests them. Currently the only way to "find out" about a mission is to self load it up on bravo when no one's around, join the mission team and be in the flow, or religiously camp out the mission forum. None are practical for the average gamer.

Something like a wiki with links to the missions, which have information such as mission concept, units and weapons, backstory, screenshots, suggest min/max players and even discussions on suggested mission plans, with places to suggest improves or thank the maker for good work. Heck, you could merge the broken mission report thread into this wiki and really keep track of whats on the server, whats getting lots of feedback, and whats not working.

Comment

#1: What kind of missions would you like to see for our events
                              A scheduled large mission at least one a week (perhaps more).

For the weekly scheduled mission (Sunday OP)
                              The actual content of the mission is less important than how it is run. The appeal of ARMA2 is the team coordination and the communication. This OP could be used as an opportunity to put training into practice. For some of us the immersion supersedes the personal kill count. The briefing, section organization and final objective of retuning to the FUP contributes more to overall immersion than massive killing. An OP ORDER (posted with the event announcement) could provide players with intel on the duties and expectations of different sections. This way players could select rolls that match the varied expectations. Ie Some sections might see increased combat, another more of a support roll and yet another small team to coordinate and brief JIPs. Consider a sign up sheet for the rolls. Admin could start posting the assigned rolls daily as players sign up.

#2: Do you like the format, many short missions varying styles of play.
                              Many, shorter missions are great for weekly games, where there are flexible start times. It would be helpful to schedule other short missions to test out ideas. I could attend more missions that are scheduled. Some of us just don't have time to camp out on the server just to end up a 12 person sniper mission or a TVT with no communication or team tactics. All of these types of missions appeal to someone and varying the style offers everyone a chance for some satisfaction. Might want to consider offering players a chance to rate the missions so we know what would be most popular for the Sunday OP.

#3: Anything we can do better
                              Briefing during the Sunday OP.
                              Allow players to brief within sections with emphasis that callsigns are coordinated with the map screen 'command and signals'. I've seen missions that have a call sign on the slotup screen, another on the map screen (Notes) and yet another that is provided by the IC of the mission. Note the call signs in the notes of the map screen and use them only. Provide enough time to ensure units know their call sign and whats expected. For many, who play more often, the mission briefing is boring but for others it's the chance to get a clear idea of specifics of what is happening. I love to see the briefing take place in game, many times I'm listening to a briefing and I'm still logging in and can't see the map. It also helps us who don't play every day to get accustomed to our SL or FTL's voice. Section briefing ingame helps create the feeling of team cohesion

I agree the 2nd omega event was great, had lots of people showed up. Keep em coming and thanks to everyone for your contributions. The level of participation is a testament to your work.

ALSO:

1) perhaps we could have a link in the event announcement for the OP ORDER or the NEW MISSION thread. Photos and maps in the OP ORDER are great. I've played with the map on my second monitor and it offers great situational awareness.
                              2) To those who don't want respawn - I don't like respawning, it takes most the fun out the game. I will respawn in some circumstances (IE when we were run over by a Bradley while getting our kit.). But generally when I die its a indication to me that my time is up. No one seems to mind. I'm lingered on teamspeak after and never heard any negative comments. So if you don't like respawn ... then don't. If you are the IC SL or a FTL brief your 2IC so when you die you're not doing your briefing from the grave.
                              3) Missions that are difficult (with a distinct possibility of total failure) are great. Forces us to use coordination and clear communication. Some of the best missions were ones that we lost. Explosions, players screaming, chaos .... its all good fun.

Geez am I long winded or what?
                              Jimbo

"Help improve immersion, eliminate the green diamonds and map unit icons."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X