ARMA 2: Nautical Edition?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ARMA 2: Nautical Edition?

Ok, I'll try to be brief with my inquiry and request. I'd ask the moderators to kindly keep this post free of the usual scuttlebutt. ;)

ARMA 2 is hailed as one of the best (if not the best) military simulators available on the civilian market for consumption by casual gamers who do not have nine figure defence budgets to equip them with software, hardware and formal training. In my time at Tactical Gamer: ARMA 2 I have marched on line in platoon wedges, driven tanks while my gunner puts rounds downrange on hard targets, flown helicopters on risky night insertions into hostile territory and taken off from an aircraft carrier in an F-16 to deliver precision-guided ordnance to a ground designated target. These experiences are amazing and frankly, unparalleled in the gaming world. It is with great pride that I describe to my friends (who having not played the game cannot quite comprehend the scope of operations here) the missions I have undertaken and the great entertainment that I have derived from such.

However, let it be known that my boots were not made for walking, nor my hands for driving. Aye, it's true... Rearden in all of his steel-working genius has discovered that the only thing cooler than driving around a 60 ton steel beast is to sail a 1200 ton steel beast across the high seas. That's right gentlemen, I've gone nautical!

It is however, with great sorrow that I report to you that in all of its infinitely modifiable potential, ARMA 2 at lesat in any incarnation that I have played, has yet to step beyond even the most basic littoral operations in inflatable craft or rudimentary marine aviation to truly realize its potential as a simulator for all three operational environments.

So I'm putting it to you, the community who I know are involved in cooking up some amazing things on both the mission making and content-development fronts, to determine whether this is something that could be made to happen. There are currently two combat ships modeled in the game as static objects, along with a single LHD which acts as a placeholder for all manner of fixed and rotary air asset maritime platforms. I'm envisioning an ARMA 2 where submarines surface off coastlines and launch precision-guided cruise-missile strikes or destroyers engage shore-targets while LCACs and RHIB's ferry troops, materiel and munitions to and from a landing zone. It is entirely within the realm of possiblity to modify the existing 3d models of vessels to have functional, crew-operated or automated (CWIS) weapons systems. It is fully possible to simulate submarine-hunting, mine sweeping or marine interdiction to cargo vessels. Picture a NAVY SEAL or Blackwater anti-piracy operation off the coast of Isla Duala, aimed at preventing Molatian militants from boarding a Russian flagged vessel and sparking an international incident.

I understand the status quo bellum here is to march on line, occasionally drive vehicles or fly the odd chopper, but please, please, please can we have ships?

I'm not just asking for addons as none of the available content on Armaholic (http://www.armaholic.com/list.php?c=a2_vehicle_sea) really does justice to the third (and by far most underrepresented) of the operational environments. I'm asking whether mission makers, content developers and particularly ACE 2 liasons can firmly put forward what I have humbly tried to articulate here, and push for new and exciting content that will make the ARMA 2 experience even more unique and exceptional.

Bear in mind that Navies today perform some of the most critical tasks in support of or in conjunction with other operational elements in theater. Navies are the extension of a nation's sovereignty and striking power and have represented a practical estimation of a nation's geopolitical power since the days when Brittania ruled the waves. Logistics and Procurement, Interdiction, Deployment, Economic Protection, Sovereignty Enforcement and even Immigration Control are all within the spheres of naval operations in the modern day and I would greatly like to see this grand, strategic element (underrepresented in almost all titles except the odd historical or brutally complex 'naval sim') available to mission makers and players here at TG and in ARMA 2 communities. For what it's worth I'm willing to lend my support as a researcher, tester and even modeler to make it happen.

Thanks,
    Hank Rearden

P.S. TLDR? :D

If the leader is filled with high ambition and if he pursues his aims with audacity and strength of will, he will reach them in spite of all obstacles.
    -Carl Von Clausewitz

'The Great Game' -Blog on War in Afghanistan:

Re: ARMA 2: Nautical Edition?

TL:DR (kidding :P)

Isn't BI working on a naval sim for VBS?

You're asking a lot hank, to much probably, but I love marine ops (not so much into naval, but I'm close).

Comment

What I'm really asking about is whether it'd be possible to combine some of the better/working vessels with modified scripts/addons using the existing destroyer and carrier models to permit naval operations in ARMA 2. If VBS is getting a Naval Sim that is great, I hope there's an open-source bleedoff into the ARMA 2 modding community. Compiling the mods into a new file structure, max of two addons and then incorporating some kind of UI modification, similar to shack-tac HUD in order to give a level of cohesive function at the tactical and operational levels. Maybe some smart code to simulate surface/subsurface sonar.

I guess what I'm really asking is if anybody feels like giving the Navy a little love either on the mission side or on the modding side. I'd be happy if someone could make a destroyer you could land a helicopter on/walk on/interact with.

If it weren't for career related side projects I have going this summer, I'd be trying to teach myself how to do it. I think the reason that the Navy gets so little love is that Naval enthusiasts have a hard time getting a good internet connection/decent PC when not in port. ;) But seriously, I'm envisioning new model breaking away from the world-war three infantry model and leaning more towards OOTW/STOM, covert or plausible-deniability or law-enforcement/peace support operations which have all of the challenge but less of the routine. My goal this summer is to learn to master the AI conversation structure so that I can spit out a mission which makes use of conversation-option/decision making potential for multiplayer use as well as things like truly agressive, arrestable civilians.

If the leader is filled with high ambition and if he pursues his aims with audacity and strength of will, he will reach them in spite of all obstacles.
      -Carl Von Clausewitz

Comment

Id like to see the carriers and LHD'd pitching and rolling while i tried to land on them.
        Nihility

Comment

I thought you simulated that with liquid stimulants already soupy. :P

Comment

You mean something like this?

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=5874

Comment

ive seen large working ships in the mod aussie life, they could be used in the addon sync. But what your asking is kind of a mod dev team to huddle in a cave for a week and come out with a solid naval rehaul mod for arma. Awesome but not realistic unless you can get a team together
              If you wanna find me off TG
              Xbox live- fusionpo0
              Steam Username - 0hilla27/fusionpoo
              Xfire - fusionpoo

Comment

Order Dangerous Waters by Sonalysts. It's a Naval simulation, with the focus being mostly on ASW. It's installed on US Naval Academy computers to teach stuff, and comes with a 400 + page manual. A neat features is that you can have a player controlled LAMPS helicopter (seahawk) operating off of a Player Controlled Oliver Hazard Perry frigate working with a Player Controlled P-3 and Submarines to hunt for Player controlled or AI subs, surface combatants, etc.

My priorities, in order. 1) KD/R 2) Winning 3) Gunning in a Tank 4) Everything Else

Comment

Originally posted by HellHound1812 View Post
                  Order Dangerous Waters by Sonalysts. It's a Naval simulation, with the focus being mostly on ASW. It's installed on US Naval Academy computers to teach stuff, and comes with a 400 + page manual. A neat features is that you can have a player controlled LAMPS helicopter (seahawk) operating off of a Player Controlled Oliver Hazard Perry frigate working with a Player Controlled P-3 and Submarines to hunt for Player controlled or AI subs, surface combatants, etc.
                  Not only that, but it has a powerful mission editor, a series of challenging missions both for the amateur landlubber and for the veteran skipper. Not to mention... ok, I'll stop with the sales pitch, but Hellhound's point remains: the game is pretty fun AND it has multiplayer with the ability to have multiple players run the same vessel. I never had a chance to try DW multiplayer, but I would love to.

Back to the topic at hand, having a few more vessels is not a bad thing, but ArmA2 is ill-suited for simulating realistic naval warfare, just like fixed-wing warfare.
                  Just like airplanes, boats in this game are present not because BIS wants to simulate them accurately, but because they are an element present in real life warfare and as such they have to be present in some form.
                  sigpic

Now with 200% more content!

Comment

Originally posted by ForGlory&Pain View Post
                    I thought you simulated that with liquid stimulants already soupy. :P
                    I do, but its expensive to down 2 bottles of Shiraz before every cas mission. I really need to talk to the OMEGA QM about getting us some cheaper wine in the MRE's.
                    Nihility

Comment

This is a nice "hmmmm, I wonder if" subject but not really practical. When I need my sailor fix I go play Dangerous Waters, a true naval sim. Arma has its limitations and trying to be be a squid in Arma is a lonely vocation.

Comment

I.. have been playing Dangerous Waters demo all day. Gonna buy it this weekend methinks. Too bad their player community forums haven't been active since '08 (Unless it moved?)

-Carl Von Clausewitz

Comment

Don't forget to download the LwAmi mods 3.09 & 3.10, they are as necessary to that game as Ace as to this game. If you do get serious, the 300 some page manual is worth buying. I have it and it is does come in handy.

Comment

I think there's various 'Virtual Flotillas' out there that play. That was the silent hunter term, but it's basically a clan. I'd be willing to reinstall and play with you guys. I loved the 688's.

My priorities, in order. 1) KD/R 2) Winning 3) Gunning in a Tank 4) Everything Else

Comment

To keep the thread on topic, I just opened this discussion in the Simulation Games forum, so that we can continue any discussion about Dangerous Waters and co. there. :)
                              sigpic

Now with 200% more content!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...