Real life Osprey gets some more fire power

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Real life Osprey gets some more fire power

This is a video I came across showing a V-22 Osprey with an additional minigun that can by swinged out under the aircraft.
    Its called the 'Interim Defence Weapon System' and its featured at 4.15.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=a63_1275369913

Alex

Re: Real life Osprey gets some more fire power

At 5:06, is that a generic PS3 knockoff controller being used to aim and fire the 'IDWS' ???
    Big-eye101: "A true catman post a day keeps the bad mood away"

Please do not take any posts made by Catman seriously. If you begin to take his posts seriously, please seek psychiatric attention.

Comment

Apparently they aren't seeing much use in-theater, however. I saw one of those at Modern Day Marine 2008, it was pretty snazzy looking. Shame it doesn't quite seem to be working out at the moment.

Comment

We have thread about Osprey, here is info about accident that happened in New York on Memorial Day 2010.

Originally posted by NY Daily News
        Marine Corps Osprey helicopter landing injures 10 in Staten Island park during Memorial Day event.

A family-friendly Fleet Week demo took a horrible turn Monday when a $70 million Osprey sent folks ducking for cover.

Screaming onlookers ran for their lives when the two-prop warbird, which flies like a plane and lands like a helicopter, turned broken tree limbs in a Staten Island park into dangerous projectiles.

At least 10 people in the crowd of several hundred in Clove Lakes Park Preserve were injured with cuts, bruises and scrapes, and now city officials are asking whether organizers took the proper safety precautions.

"We came in over the trees," said Marine Capt. Michael Henson, whose regiment is based at Camp Lejeune in North Carolina. "The next thing we see is a blanket coming up in the air."

"I closed my eyes and turned away and the air pressure hit me and had me rolling," said the Richmond Town resident after being treated for cuts on his head.

I can't believe that event's organizer let people to camp out in the choppers landing spot.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikee View Post
          I can't believe that event's organizer let people to camp out in the choppers landing spot.
          That deserves a *facepalm*

Still, that underbelly turret looks interesting and could be useful, both for having a system that can engage anything lower than the Osprey, and the camera can be used to help check the pilot if there are any obstacles underneath while landing.

Originally posted by Catman1975
          At 5:06, is that a generic PS3 knockoff controller being used to aim and fire the 'IDWS' ???
          Doesn't surprise me, seeing that the design for that controller is great.
          Also, thanks to ergonomic controls similar to those used with the consoles, a friend of mine years ago had an almost perfect score during a training excercise with the MILAN, when he was still in the Army: as he told me, "it felt like playing a videogame".
          sigpic

Now with 200% more content!

Comment

The Army uses PS3 controllers and Xbox style controllers for alot of its radio operated equipment. Its not just the ergonomic features though, its used because the youth today is familiar with them. This way soldiers pick up on how to operate the equipment fast and are more proficient.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Han Solo Called, he wants his Ax-108 "Ground Buzzer" surface-defense Blaster Cannon back from the Marine corps already.

I'm sure whichever defence contractor designed this mean piece of work was a closet Star Wars fan (And not the Reagan-era SDI Star Wars). The design seems impractical somehow, almost as though it would only be useful for extracting troops, not for insertion and then it would still pose a danger to the airframe/landing gear/bystanders unless you were absolutely certain that every target you were lighting up had serious, hostile intent. The vehicle just seems a little too vulnerable to effectively make any kind of truly hot landing necessitating that firepower. Definitely good as a holdout, but mounting the weapons system on the side of the vehicle (akin to a helicopter's side-door guns) seems to make more sense. Even with the CROWs design, the configuration on the sides seems much more defensive, and still gives the potential of an operational weapons system if the vehicle makes a rough landing.

Anybody got an approximate valuation on this weapons system? Seems like a very expensive upgrade for limited utility.

This does however -need- to be introduced into ARMA2 to help us with hot extracts... I'm thinking of an 'Ia Drang 2010.'

Also about the Controllers: While the Xbox and PS3 may be more familiar, I'm betting you'll see more intuitive control systems including voice-recognition (Around for awhile but demoed in 'Tom Clancy's: End War') and gesture-recognition/accelerometers (Wiimote) filling a lot of varied roles from air-traffic control to UAV/weapons systems operation.

If the leader is filled with high ambition and if he pursues his aims with audacity and strength of will, he will reach them in spite of all obstacles.
              -Carl Von Clausewitz

'The Great Game' -Blog on War in Afghanistan:

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...