Possibly a stupid question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possibly a stupid question

I've been playing for a while now with TG but only in one game I played recently a M113 Ambulance was used, the first time I saw anything like that on a mission. It just got me thinking, and I feel kind of stupid for asking, but since we play as realistically as possible, do we adhere to the Geneva Convention?

I've seen that in game we clearly don't kill civilians so that got me thinking that maybe we do. Also there is a surrender animation but I've never seen it used, if someone was to surrender, what is done? If someone is the only man left in their squad, drops there weapons and surrenders, if someone is wounded/unconscious and you come across them, what is done? If an enemy was to spot that M113 Ambulance can they engage it?

Clearly this would apply to TVT, but it was just something that I was wondering about for a while. Do we adhere to it and if not, should we to make a more interesting gaming experience?

Re: Possibly a stupid question

Generally speaking, no: the Geneva Convention is not adhered to or referred to in a standard game of ArmA at TG. The AI, their behaviors, and the rather cumbersome way in which it is possible to take prisoners or tend to non-friendly wounded personnel restricts our ability to be "civil" about things. The most obvious example of TG's way of reading between the lines would be one where a city full of hostiles is neutralized without civilian casualties, but all wounded hostiles are executed.

Comment

Yes I know it would be pretty much impossible with AI, but I said in TVT. Player versus player. If every man in my squad was killed, I dropped my weapon, stood up and put my hands behind my head clearly surrendering am I going to be shot?

Comment

Originally posted by Kief View Post
        Yes I know it would be pretty much impossible with AI, but I said in TVT. Player versus player. If every man in my squad was killed, I dropped my weapon, stood up and put my hands behind my head clearly surrendering am I going to be shot?
        In most cases you would be shot maybe out of a protective reaction or just for a laugh but the truth is people wont obey the geneva conventions unless they are implemented in the mission (like that mission to kill a HVT but killing the Imam means a fail) they wont be followed either by accident or because it is more fun to execute virtual players and a more memorable experiance.but in truth i probably open fire on most unarmed soldiers/insurgent looking men more than anyone.

and heres a link from the shactac guide on POWs

http://ttp2.dslyecxi.com/tactics.html (scroll to the bottom)
        To talk to me or just hurl Abuse my way get me on Xfire:Hashass1n

I can't read, can't write, can't be an officer -NCO of the Vistula Uhlans Jan Pawlikowski

Mute since the universe began

Comment

Ah. I see. Thats a real shame :(
          To me that would make the game a helluva lot more interesting and fun. And I suppose the same goes for coming across an unconscious player, bullet to the brain?

Comment

if someone is wounded/unconscious and you come across them, what is done?
            All depends on: Is anyone able to see me? ;)

EDIT: Would be funny if there was an ace interaction option to "Put The Boot In". Maybe the victim would lose 1 kill every 10 seconds you done it? Lolz would ensue. I could imagine 5/6 guys all kick animationing a dude on the ground. End of match, "How the hell did i end up with a score of -500?!"
            Nihility

Comment

With AI I know it would be impossible to do they just kill kill kill and I kill them right back, it would just be fun in a TVT

Comment

Taking a pow is dangerous, its easy for someone to load out with satchels and surrender, cant see satchel until the place it and boom!

Also most games consist of kill the enemy team, taking on captive would result in a admin having to call it :P

My name: Adept a skilled or proficient person Abyss a deep, immeasurable space, gulf, or cavity
                So I'm a very skilled deep hole :D

Comment

I do not feel trying to force players to learn the Geneva Convention would be conductive to game play. If players wish to try to implement this on their own, great, but dont complain when individuals do not wish to play by your idea on rules... it is still a game all things considered. And while the experience might be really fun to deal with a POW with the right group of players, that are in the right mindset, it is not something that I feel would be adopted to the servers outside of mission task/event task scenarios.

There have been quite a few missions where a changed style of game play was desired, but the actual handling of the mission would break down if one person was not aware or not willing to participate in that defined style.

The key word in this post is as follows
                  GAME

Not everyone is looking for the same experience, but we are not telling you to not try these events/scenarios, just be aware that not everyone may feel the same amount of enjoyment from the experience.
                  The views expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of TacticalGamer.com or of any other TacticalGamer ArmA Administration member, reader discretion is advised.

Comment

Oh yes I am aware taking a EPW is extremely dangerous but its a simple task of assigning him a cover man who never lets the EPW leave his sight. And if he does try anything, bang bang simple as. It would just add variety is all I'm saying it seems like a lot to fun to me trying to make the GAME, as you say, even more FUN. I'm not expecting people to learn all 4 articles and all 3 protocols just the basics of, EPWs, civilians and medics. And yes if its a deplete enemy tickets type match it wouldnt be such a big deal to end it and still just call it a victory :)

Once captured you can command him to drop everything. Weapons, ammo, grenades, radio, map, watch, compass. I just see it as a very fun thing to do :) Next game I'm in and the opportunity arises Ill give it a go and see what happens haha! Both surrendering and capturing someone :P

Comment

There is an ACE interaction action called "Disarm" it drops ALL of their weapons and ammo (leaves items, like map, radio, compass) on the ground next to their body. Believe it is only possible when they are unconscious.

Comment

Ooo very snazzy! I read on ShackTac too that once someone is in the hands on head pose you can completely disarm them too. Looks like its easily doable once someone does surrender.

Comment

In my personal experiences, the Disarm action is pretty sketch and buggy because not only was Gunner able to do it to me while on the same team and conscious, but also just randomly while I was walking around, moving, shooting, etc. - meaning not limited to someone in the surrender pose.

| |

Comment

That sounds like a whole new awesome level of greifing.
                            The views expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of TacticalGamer.com or of any other TacticalGamer ArmA Administration member, reader discretion is advised.

Comment

I see your grief and raise you a ban.

| |

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed