Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Arma2 dead now? Merged install servers? see inside and discuss!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Arma2 dead now? Merged install servers? see inside and discuss!

I meant to catch Impule9 about this last night to discuss as we started to talk about it in TS but got busy so I think I will make a post about this. You can do a standalone OA install or a merged install of A2/OA if you have both games (bugs being worked out still for steam/sprocket folks). I have the DVD version from Amazon of Combined Operations so I did the merged install of ARMA2/OA. Note that there are now 2 executables, one for ARMA2 and one for OA. I went to a few servers with the vanilla merged install and had no issues connecting to servers with OA or playing so that was great! I also ran the game with ARMA 2 exe and had no problems connecting to old arma 2 servers, more good news! I then went out and did a sync to yoma with the TG servers and loaded up OA and added all mods/islands , tested for 3 hours all the ACE functions and loaded near every Island in the OA editor/merged install and dropped units and did some missions and everything worked , no crashes , very good to see!

Now at this time TG only has OA vanilla servers running as opposed to a merged install and this is where it gets dicey. As you may know ACE is going to go to version 1.3 for ARMA2 then stop developing it for A2 and work on ACE for OA and should be out in 40 days. What I have realized is Bi has really made a new game OA and turned Arma 2 into the expansion since Arma 2 content can run on OA with the OA exe, so that a good thing really. I have seen now though that Add-ons (like units and vehicles) made for OA will not work in Arma 2 in most cases.
    Also it’s not clear yet how the OA ace will integrate with a merged install. I do hope we decide to go with a merged install on the servers so we can use all the old arma 2 content and missions while using the new OA stuff that comes out, otherwise Arma 2 is dead … and we will lose so much content though I know people will begin the conversion to OA of all the old units and add-ons most likely.

It really affects mission makers too; if you create missions with a merged install then its possible some OA players will not be able to play it but its nice to add items from ARMA2 to OA missions. Also with merged install we could add OA items to old missions and play them still. The next 60 days will really show how this all plays out, but I do hope we go for OA servers that support Arma 2 content with a merged install. How do others feel about this? Or should we just go OA and leave Arma2 behind? Does anyone have any insider info on how the ace team will deal with merged install? I just want to get this discussion rolling now since we have so much time to wait for ace for OA and Yoma for OA...

Re: Is Arma2 dead now? Merged install servers? see inside and discuss!

Originally posted by Tekpc007 View Post
    See Above
    I also ordered Combined Arms from Amazon, deleted Arma 2 and I'm installing only OA for now to avoid any issues with connecting to servers. Arma 2 islands and missions still work in OA anyways :).
    Last edited by Impulse 9; 07-01-2010, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Will reply to this in greater detail when I am done driving. At current the OA servers are to be treated as OA only, and will remain as such for a month or so. Merged content will be nice, but we are not at that point of testing yet. Add in new players who do not have the A2 Content, and we are going need to assess how we wish to work the integration and requirements for the OA base servers.

For now the OA servers are there to keep up with, and let the mission developers get a good base to work with in OA, with basic OA content. As OA matures, we will continue to evaluate how the community wishes to branch, be it A2 Base ... OA, or OA:CA (combined). But remember this, there are still a great number of players that do not have OA yet, may not be buying it and we still have the A2 ACE servers, where they are still active. Use your best judgment on how to play and still make both sets of servers the enjoyable we have been working to maintain.
      The views expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of TacticalGamer.com or of any other TacticalGamer ArmA Administration member, reader discretion is advised.

Comment

Well I was having problems getting my versions to work together. I have a retail disk version of AMRA2 and a steam version of AO. I went to launch the game last night, and noticed I now also had an option to launch the combined arms through steam. I wonder if this has been fixed for other members using steam?

Comment

Many pople are having his issue if you go to eh BIS forums you can see even the devs are trying to figure out a quick fix.

Comment

I've been checking out the Alpha server all weekend for my fix of combat and it has been totally dead.....

Unfortunately I still don't have my copy of OA and this means I haven't played A2/ACE for nearly a whole week and am getting serious withdraw symptoms.... Have tried checking out other server but they are all dead or just playing boring Domi......

Help me.... I am getting cold turkey...... starting to shake all over and sweat like a pig...... a need a fix and I need it soon.....
            [RIP] Rusty In Places - Games Commander

Comment

babylon I hear ya I am in the same boat!! Kind of on the fence on what to do!!

sigpic

Comment

Arma 2 is not dead yet.

I have not got a copy of OA either,and I eventually will, but for the time being, some of us still play on the Arma 2 Alpha server.We have been running some small challenging coop missions and they are great fun,lots of trigger time and lots of intense fire fights,it's an all you can shoot buffet and there still is some very good game play going on in Arma 2.Even though the number of players are a little low,the teamwork and tactical moves are still there and everyone is still having a good time accomplishing missions.

So if you do not have a copy of OA yet,keep checking on the Arma 2 Alpha server,and jump in when you see us running a mission,it's still a lot of fun :)

PS: I would advise everyone to get a copy of Operation Arrowhead sooner or later.If you can play Arma 2,then you can play OA.The TG community is moving towards OA,and I would like everyone to invest in getting a copy so we can all continue on being on the same page in the same game having fun. :)

PS#2: Rampart,that shoot out you and I had against each other in the building on that one Death match server was epic as they say.I still remember that,that was intense and my ears were ringing none stop.It looked like the Matrix when you first ran across the stairs with all my heavy machine gun rounds impacting,or better yet,exploding off the wall behind you,i must have hit your shadow 10 times during your quick dash to the next room lol.
                Last edited by Militant; 07-04-2010, 04:10 PM.

Comment

OA is the future, I would encourage everyone within their means to get it. A lot of mods are getting ported in quickly.

It runs better, it looks better, and its less buggy. It is also a much nicer first impression for new people as the Boot camp module is very effective at getting people up to speed on the game controls. I would not have any problem recommending it to people new to the ARMA franchise, even those who havn't played tactical sims before but want to.

Comment

Will be looking at the Merged Servers later, have it running properly in another environment, but will need to take some consideration with TG before completely adopting the full merged server.
                    The views expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of TacticalGamer.com or of any other TacticalGamer ArmA Administration member, reader discretion is advised.

Comment

@militant HAHHA WAS THAT YOU!!! awesome!! I hardly ever play deathmatch but joined just for ****s and giggles...was well worth it :) meh sensor sensor sensor

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tekpc007 View Post
                        What I have realized is Bi has really made a new game OA and turned Arma 2 into the expansion [...]
                        Interesting statement, and it really makes me think: what is "ArmA" now?

I'm not ready to lose Utes and Chernarus, and we have way too many valuable missions built for those environments... I'm really having trouble seeing the future without owning both OA and A2 (where OA is the "game" and A2 is now the "expansion pack").

Comment

It is starting to appear that way but we will see what happens when the newness of OA wears off some and how it all balances out . It appears ace is moving on and if 1.07 is the last patch to Arma2 then I guess its wait and see what happens to Combined Operations.

Comment

The ACE team made a blog post yesterday stating that they hope to have a stable release out for OA by next month.

In a world of Herp, one man dares to Derp.

Comment

ACE2 as we know it for Arma 2 just released the final build. They are now working on the OA version.

LoneStar informed us Xeno released the newest stable version of the ACE2 mod on the BI forums.
                              Please note we are still in the process of uploading these files to our servers. Later tonight we will be ready to mirror them!

Quote :
                              It's our goodbye to ArmA 2.
                              See you soon in OA!
                              Source: http://www.armaholic.com

I think this is more kindling for the fire, that once will rise into the requirement of OA.

Just to throw my opinion out there, i think using combined arms is a good idea.
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X