How I got my first gig as CO....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How I got my first gig as CO....

Lorelei sat in the side-seat of the MH-6 Little Bird as it spooled up for flight. Operation Domination was a large scale, but simple, operation. Enemy forces had infiltrated the island and were trying to overthrow the local governments. The U.S. Army had set up base at Kinsella International Airport in the southwestern part of the island. Their job was to patrol the island and eliminate any enemy forces seen, as well as assist the local governments in regaining control of their towns and cities.

Isla Duala was a large island, approx 56km2, divided into two warring countries: Afrene to the south, Molatia to the North, with a large river that divided the two in the center. During normal times there was a buffer area around the river on either side which was monitored by international peacekeepers, but during those new times of trouble, a temporary peace treaty had been signed between the Afrene and Molatia people.

After her own platoon had almost been completely wiped out during Operation Socom Hacienda (which took place on a smaller island to the southwest of Isla Duala) Lorelei had been assigned to One-One-Alpha, which had been established on Isla Duala for several months already. She was a medic and was being sent to replace the one that had been wounded in combat not but a week prior.

As the chopper took flight she couldn't help but wonder how her new unit would take to her presence. It was never easy losing a member of your team, and she found this was especially true if they were being replaced by a woman. However, it didn't take long for her to get her answer.

As the LB approached the base, the radio squawked to life: “Command to LB approaching main base, if you have my medic, bring him to the north western most island located off the north west of the mainland, southwest of Hazena Volcano, grid coordinates 0175 0248. We have several wounded and could really use his help. We'll pop red smoke as you approach.”

“Well lookey there. Not even in country 5 minutes and already headed into the fight.” The pilot grinned as he changed his course. Lorelei hadn't quite anticipated going into combat before reaching base, however. “Well aint it just my lucky day?” She agreed as she silently prayed she had enough supplies in her bag as they approached their landing zone. It didn't take long for the sky to turn red, and took even less time to land.

After getting out and hitting the deck (she'd once learned about tail rotors the hard way and would not soon forget to avoid them at all costs), she watched the LB ascend and take flight back towards base for only a brief moment before she was greeted by the Commanding Officer. If he was startled by her gender, he certainly didn't show it. “I've got 3 wounded just before the crest of this hill. Make sure you stay low as you approach. There are 2 Abraham’s and approximately 50 infantrymen at Hazena Volcano just beyond and I'm sure they'd like to take out another one of my medics.”

She nodded her acknowledgment before quickly starting up the hill. As she climbed, she couldn't help but be reminded of her last platoon. They had been attempting to sneak unnoticed into a plantation in order to secure or eliminate a group of the enemy leaders, but their attempt at being Navy Seals failed and they were detected by a patrol just outside the walls. As she was trying to reach the wounded, she had been shot. Her Kevlar kept her from being killed, but that was more than she could say for the rest of her platoon.

An explosion just over the crest of the hill brought Lorelei back to reality. She quickly did a head count as she approached the first of the wounded. There were 15 soldiers here, tops. Against 2 Abraham's and 50 men. She was amazed that there weren't more wounded or killed.

“Where're you hit?” She asked as she started rummaging through her bag. “My arm.” was the reply she received. She pulled out her bandages and morphine, but was only allowed to treat externally. “Save it. You might need it later.”

She nodded her head once and gathered her supplies, “Who else?”, and was directed to a soldier just east of their present position. He was still firing at the enemy. If the situation had been more in their favor, she would have found his dedication amusing. But the present circumstances made this more of a fight of survival, not dedication, and nowhere near amusing. He allowed her to treat him in the same fashion as the first: bandages only, no morphine, and as she turned to the third soldier, she found that he had already bandaged himself and was also refusing the drug.

A second explosion and she whipped her head around to see the source. Someone had hit the second Abraham's, turning it into nothing more than flame, smoke, and charred remains. Taking this as her cue, she pulled her weapon off her back and took a prone position between two other soldiers, picking off infantrymen one by one. By this point the enemies numbers had been diminished greatly and they were simply taking care of the stragglers.

When the last man was shot down, the CO gave the order to push forward to the Volcano and take down the enemy radio tower with satchels. As they crossed the valley, single intermittent shots could be heard as the members of One-One-Alpha approached enemy who had only been injured during the onslaught.

With the satchels securely in place, the order was given to set them off, and the tower fell. Lorelei did not join in the cheers as she moved from soldier to soldier, making sure everyone was okay and uninjured. When she approached the CO, however, a single enemy soldier appeared from behind a rock and started shooting, peppering One-One-Alpha with bullets. Everyone dropped to prone, and with 15 muzzles pointed at him, the enemy soldier didn't stand a chance and was quickly executed.

Looking around at all the apprehensive faces, she realized that the CO had dropped to the ground like everyone else, but not because he was going prone. And he most certainly hadn't moved since the surprise attack started. She quickly crawled over to him while everyone else began to sweep the area one last time. He lay on his back, eyes closed, and she knew that when she reached for a pulse she wouldn't feel one. He had been shot 3 times; once in the upper left arm, once on the left side of his clavicle, and once just above his right eye. There was nothing more to be done than take him back to base and make sure he returned to his family back in the states.

She pulled herself to her knees and turned to look at the men now gathered behind her. She knew she wouldn't see tears, these were war hardened men, but the look that most wore startled her. They didn't know what to do, or maybe they did and just didn't want to do it. Either way, she soon realized that what had to be done was going to have to be done by her. Otherwise the whole platoon would fall apart.

She took a deep breath, grabbed the CO's radio, and spoke into it with a shaky voice. “One-One-Alpha to air support. The CO has been shot. I'm taking command. We need transport at Hazena Volcano to RTB. Will mark with purple smoke.”

((Thank you to all who participated in my flounders as a first time CO, having never even been a SL before.))

Re: How I got my first gig as CO....

oh man... quite a read.... Gotta be the woman's touch or you were an English major in College... Had me envisioning the whole thing. I do not know if a touch of moisture was felt around my eyes... but I am not admitting to anything. Thumbs up bravo for the talent invested into this literature.

Comment

Someones gotta fill the void while dredge is gone afk....wait........hes never done this much :D

I was your harrier pilot, i hadnt flown fixed wing in so long i cant remember. It was fantastic lor, absolutely fantastic. Great laugh all round, i got to bed about 05:00. The usual i suppose :)
      Dont be afraid to lead again.
      Nihility

Comment

That is an awesome read; its got to be the woman's touch, very immersive; and a great depiction of what can face you in the ArmA situation. Well done and good work :)

Comment

We are letting women CO now?!? I go on vacation for a couple weeks and the whole world turns upside down......

J/k, great read. Good job COing, I fully expect you to do more of it now

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Just wanted to say "good on ya!" - we need more commanders! For others reading this, consider commanding! Cool to hear about people's experiences in new avenues of play.

Comment

You A-10 Pilot here :)
              Was super fun running CAS for ya'll into the wee hours of the morning

Comment

Great Read! Keep up the good Work.. I just don't want to hear " and as the sweat glistened off his muscular biceps I flashed back to that week in Milan..with Paulo.."

:row__533:
                |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
                ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

Yeah, I want to send an extra shout out to Militant. When I said I was kinda nervous about the whole dealio, he joined my squad to help me out. The guys on the ground were very understanding when I said something that wasn't proper terminology, which I did a lot cause I still am learning. And the air support was phenomenal. It was extremely amusing when I told them to blow up whatever they see. LOL

So I was bored at work (slow day, heh) and suddenly had the bug to write. It was actually kinda fun writing that, so I might write more about some real missions. Long posts, go!!

Comment

Great story Lorelei,and it will be nice to see some AAR's written by you if you decide to make them,you never know,maybe you'll get some kind of book deal and then go on tour signing and selling the war stories of TG lol.

Lorelei you did a great job at being CO for the first time,and a CO on Domi at that,Lord knows how much of a nightmare it can be to keep Domi organized and everyone happy,but you did, and I had a blast playing that night,great effort and great game :)

I spent most of that mission(if not all),designating air strikes for our fly guy's,and they gave us an impressive show,well done Air units, especially on the close air support runs,I know some friendlies probably had their ears ringing as their eyes widened when some of those devastating GBU's were dropped lol, but there was no blue on blue incidents with the air units,so i was very happy,made for a perfect run.This was a fairly well rounded Domination and was well played.It was very cool to watch the battle unfold through the optics of a designator,I don't think I'll ever get tired of calling in air strikes,that's some fun stuff :)

Watching the ground units move in on foot in an organized way was impressive also,especially when I witnessed a shoot out with our friendly soldiers occupying a ridge, and the enemy filled the field in front of them near a town on level ground.That shoot out was cinematic and the soldiers did a great job using the ridge line to duck and move to other spots to fire.Snipers also did a great job at communicating,adjusting, picking people off and working as a team in that round.

Sometimes when you sit back and watch the players of TG fight it out on the virtual field, you realize it can make for a very entertaining show,you guy's are very good.The squads working as a team can be one of the most impressive things to watch.

Any time you want to lead again Lorelei,you can bet this loyal soldier will follow no matter what,keep up the good work,it's a lot of fun shooting the foe with ya :)
                    Last edited by Militant; 07-02-2010, 05:03 PM.

Comment

Great Story Lorelei! LOL! You truly have a gift to write, and to lead also. I belive I was in your unit at the time and I thought you did a great job, I'm kinda jelious cause I havnt even done that yet ;). Congrats on your first leading gig.

Comment

I'm late to the thread, but just wanted to say that was a cool read.

Comment

Bet you done a better job than Dredge.......

Comment

Originally posted by Jeepo_SAS View Post
                            Bet you done a better job than Dredge.......
                            Thems fightin' words

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

*Cough* AAR thread wants some company... *Cough*

:)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed