[OA] Nvidia performance boost

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [OA] Nvidia performance boost

Hey guys i read on the BI forums that the new nvidia beta 258.69 drivers contain a profile for OA. If you don't want to try the beta drivers you can also try this add the OA executable to the Arma 2 profile. Original post found here

So, here's my solution: Take the ArmA2 profile and copy it to OA. I've done this myself and so far it seems to be working just fine, with a good improvement in performance. Here's how I did it:

(NOTE: Requires latest (250-series) drivers)

1. Download the nVidia SLI Profile editing tool here: http://www.geeks3d.com/20100528/mana...-profile-tool/
    2. Export your current profiles with the tool.
    3. Edit the exported .txt file to copy the Armed Assault 2 profile information (should be fairly easy to find) and then just rename it to something OA-related, and make sure to change the "Executable" field to arma2oa.exe.
    4. Close and save the .txt file.
    5. Import the profiles back in using the tool.
    6. You're done! You just took all the nVidia app-specific profile information and transferred it to OA. No renaming .exe files, no fuss.

If anyone has any questions about copying the profile I would be more than happy to answer them. I didn't explain in detail how to copy the information but if you look at the profiles in the .txt file you should be able to figure it out. Just add another profile entry below the ArmA2 one by copying and pasting the ArmA2 profile, and editing it to work with OA. Hope this helps!
    If you use nHancer you can also just add the OA executable file to the Arma 2 profile by selecting the profile and adding it.
    Last edited by Fiddlestx; 07-02-2010, 12:25 AM.

Re: [OA] Nvidia performance boost

Im afraid to update my nvidia drivers after that whole "fan fiasco" a few betas back.
    Nihility

Comment

I can confirm that the new Beta Drivers work phenomenal. It fixed some of the issues i had with the prior stable release. Also, the OA addition was a nice touch.
      sigpic

Comment

I got these drivers last night after a reccomendation from Soupy but havent had the chance to try it out yet. My Steam messed up my Arma2 last night after I downloaded the drivers but all is well now. I'll give it a go when I get out of work.

PS: Will adding something like -cpucount4 to my mod line help? Or is that already implemented? And does it go in the Combined Arms shortcut?

Comment

As far as i know you need to put the cpu count in yourself. Im also running -nosplash. Gets you straight to the menu. Who needs to see who made the game? :D
          Nihility

Comment

OK I played it and I got a huge performance boost. Im running everything on medium-high instead of all low at a lovely FPS :)
            Ye thanks I added those modlines helped a lot too

Comment

On a side note the new OA beta release contains most of the improvements in the last Arma 1.7 release. So better multi-threading and it's large memory address aware.

Comment

Yup, I definitely see an improvement, and no issues yet. Nice.

Comment

Le gasp

I'm going to have to check this out later =o

EDIT: A somewhat quick test I just did showed no difference at all. Do I have to do something extra other than downloading the driver?

EDIT2: Tried the Arma2OA beta patch too, still no difference from what I can tell...
                  Last edited by OzyTheSage; 07-14-2010, 07:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by OzyTheSage View Post
                    Le gasp

I'm going to have to check this out later =o

EDIT: A somewhat quick test I just did showed no difference at all. Do I have to do something extra other than downloading the driver?

EDIT2: Tried the Arma2OA beta patch too, still no difference from what I can tell...
                    Oz...what are your computer specs?
                    sigpic
                    |TG-1st|Grunt
                    ARMA Admin (retired)
                    Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

I was going to be a bit flip and ask if he had also installed them :\
                      The views expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of TacticalGamer.com or of any other TacticalGamer ArmA Administration member, reader discretion is advised.

Comment

Vista 64 bit
                        Intel 3.0 ghz quad core
                        1gb 9800 GT
                        6GB ram

Installed the 258.69 drivers after installing the 257.21 drivers & restart

Do I have to put something in the init line? Do I need to use the Nvidia profiling tool that says it's for use if you don't want the driver?
                        What is this about a profile?

EDIT: I think the old drivers I were using were 180.xx or something, 197.xx, I don't remember.

EDIT2: My settings are:
                        View: 1600
                        Fillrate: 100% at 1680x1050
                        Textures: Normal
                        Viedeo mem: Default (?? what does this mean anyways)
                        Anisotrohpy: Normal
                        Anti-Aliasing: Disabled
                        Terrain: Low
                        Objects: Low
                        Shadows: Disabled
                        Post-processing: Disabled
                        Last edited by OzyTheSage; 07-14-2010, 05:59 PM.

Comment

I would recommend lowering the resolution so you can up the rest of your settings.

Comment

Originally posted by Kief View Post
                            I would recommend lowering the resolution so you can up the rest of your settings.
                            The point of that is kinda nonexistent since anything below 100% fillrate makes everything look like crap anyways.

Comment

If you have an Nvidia card, I would also recommend going into the driver software and selecting "Manage 3D Settings", then create a new profile for A2OA (by clicking add then browsing to the directory on your system). Once you have done that, scroll down the list of settings till you find Vertical Sync and then disable it (Force Off). Arma2 engine does not use this feature and by having it on your GPU card is constantly trying to improve the FPS via filtering when it doesn't need too, so by turning this off the card will not try and thus you will get a performance boost. By doing this I got an extra 8 > 10 FPS boost during gameplay.
                              [RIP] Rusty In Places - Games Commander

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X