Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OA and ArmA II: Need help running add-ons (2 questions)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OA and ArmA II: Need help running add-ons (2 questions)

I have looked and either I am not reading what I need to or not smart enough to see the answer. I can run the expansion through Steam but when OA starts up I don't see any of my add-ons in the expansion menu under either Operation Arrowhead or ArmA II. I have the folders for my add-ons in ArmA II. I am under the impression that they should be listed and can be loaded while in game. Do I need to copy and paste the folders somewhere else?

Secondly, is there a way to create a shortcut without having to run both through the steam menu without having to go through the steam menu? I want to run the game with nosplash and cpu4 but am not sure which file I need to put in the shortcut to run both ArmA II and OA.

Re: OA and ArmA II: Need help running add-ons (2 questions)

You either have combined arms installed wrong or it isnt installed at all. I have a steam version of arma2 and a Dl version of OA. When i load up OA: CA i get all of my arma2 mods showing in the expansion section. Just note that alot of arma2 addons dont work properly with OA.
    Nihility

Comment

I got both games through steam and load both games fine. I think it's installed but not sure what the source of the problem is. I am thinking I might have my add ons in the wrong place. Should all my add ons be in the add-ons folder?

Comment

Nope. Just your regular steam/steamapps/common/arma2 folder.
        Nihility

Comment

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthrea...02#post1663202

Above is the thread I thought might answer my problem but didn't want to run files that changed things unless I knew for sure it would solve my problem.

Comment

All good so?
            Nihility

Comment

Gonna have to wait until I get off work to fix. That thread is 35 pages with over 300 replies. Very confusing. Evidently Steam will launch both games for you without having to change things. If I want my mods I have to do some tweaking. I did update YOMA and it is suppose to run both for you and allow you to enter you mods like it did with ArmA II alone,. It will also let you run the game with no splash and the cpu 4 command. All of which is what I am trying to accomplish. Gonna probably get to it this evening and break the whole deal. C'est la vie.

Comment

Are you sure it did the merge install?

Comment

Not sure if you still need help, but...

Sadly, as of current the "Launch ARMA 2: Combined Operations" menu in Steam automatically disables the in-game mod manager as it actually uses the -mod= command which overwrites the in-game manager. You can still launch mods with Combined Operations by using the "Launch Options" from within Steam and using "-mod=". This also works for all the other parameters (i.e. -nosplash, -world=, -cpuCount=, etc.) as long as you use " " around each individual one and you do not use more than 9 custom parameters (at least according to Dwarden). For an example ones "Launch Options" may look like this: "-nosplash" "-world=empty" "[email protected]". Also note that all mods need to be installed to the Arrowhead directory, not the original ARMA 2 directory.

As for using a custom shortcut, go into the Arrowhead directory, find the __runA2CO.cmd, and copy that as a shortcut to your desktop. From there you can use either the above method of enabling mods or simply place the custom parameters with " " around each one at the end of the "Target" field as you would normally do.

I hope I was of assistance.
                  Last edited by ROD5RIG; 07-07-2010, 11:15 AM. Reason: Typo
                  Aliases: ROD5RIG, CitizenAlias

Comment

Instead of using the default steam install paths why can't you change them?

If you create a folder at C:\Arma 2 then copy and paste the contents of both
                    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2
                    and
                    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 OA (not sure what the folder is actually called)

Don't delete the steam folders yet just rename them as a backup untill you know it works.

Open a console with admin priveliges in win 7 and type:

mklink /j "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2" "C:\arma 2"
                    and
                    mklink /j "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 OA" "C:\arma 2"

Just edit your paths to whatever they are on your computer. If your not using win 7 just google creating folder junctions for your OS.

This will make a junction in your steam folder and steam will think that both titles are still located in thier original place but really they are in the same folder in a different location. If you launch OA with the vanilla OA launcher it might work the same as a regular CO install. I use the same method to launch steam arma 2 and sprocket OA together.

I have no idea if that would work but it may be worth a shot to avoid having to use a mod line to load Arma 2 content.

Comment

This might also be much easier, SpiritedMachine's Launcher:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthrea...06#post1675306

Comment

I can run Combined Operations fine through Steam and with a command file I downloaded from the Bistudio forum. I was going to try and see if I could change the cmd file to load them but if this works I will do it instead. Has anyone tried this launcher to know if it works?

Comment

it works, I was playing with it last night.

Comment

Tried it and it works. Issues with my squad hud add-on. Will make sure it is functional with OA. Thanks Fiddlestx.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X