Reaction to artillery drill - latest in tl;dr technology

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reaction to artillery drill - latest in tl;dr technology

Has this ever happened to you? Squad is all bunched up on a hill, a huge explosion occurs some 50-200 meters off. No one says anything, and remains in the same spot. A few minutes later 5 explosions happen on top of your squad in rapid succession, killing 75% of you.

One of the things highly neglected in most missions, but one of the most prevalent factors in real combat is artillery, both friendly and enemy. Even the most primitive armed forces have access to mortars. This thread is a little advice about dealing with artillery in a combat environment, because I have seen tens of people die unnecessarily in my missions (which do model enemy artillery) due to failure to react.

TO understand how this happened you have to understand the basic mechanics of using artillery. Artillery is most commonly utilized at pre-registered coordinates or directed by an observer. Guns have to know where to fire. The former involves the area for effect being scouted beforehand and all the necessary calculations being done - the fire is most accurate, and normally will arrive quickly, as little as ten seconds + round time in the air. The more common thing you will see in ARMA missions is artillery being adjusted by a forward observer.

The basic steps are as follows:
    1. Individual with the authority and skills to call in a fire mission spots or otherwise becomes aware of an enemy contact
    2. Individual requests a fire mission, passing targeting and ballistic data up. If he is sure of where the target is, he may call for a FIRE FOR EFFECT, in which case the entire "package" will be sent, i.e. multiple rounds of ordnance. If he is unsure, he will call for ADJUST FIRE, which is a single round used for spotting.
    3. The spotting round is fired ("SHOT"), flies through the air and within X amount of seconds the round lands ("SPLASH").
    4. If the observer is satisfied with the effect of the spotting round, he calls fire for effect. Now multiple rounds are fired to complete the effect (which may be suppression, saturation, destruction etc). There is now X amount of seconds where more rounds are flying through the air.

This entire process is simulated in my missions. If you see a spotting round, your immediate reaction should be alarm, not indifference. You should immediately report "ARTY ARTY ARTY" (make sure everyone heard you) and give a contact report. You should then immediately maneuver into cover (OUTSIDE OF LINE OF SIGHT of possible enemy positions), and if cover is not possible, go prone or attempt to find concealment.

Too often players will see a spotting round and do NOTHING. This is a death sentence, as it means the next rounds coming down will either be a spotting round closer to your position, or if you are unlucky and the observer is good, the entire package of 3-10 HE rounds.

Once you are in a safe position your immediate concern should be finding and killing the observer. Chances are he is waiting for you to come back out into the open, in which event he will repeat the fire mission and call fire for effect.

But be aware there are some things to your advantage, at least in my and other tactically minded artillery simulations:
    1. Arty will never magically land on you as you move into an area, the fastest a round can hit you is the time it takes for an observer to call a fire control center and give a pre-registered grid, PLUS the time of the shell flying through the air. Even at the fastest, this will be well over a minute. For especially unskilled observers, it may take five minutes or more for spotting rounds to land.
    2. If you kill the observer, the artillery stops (note: it won't stop shells already flying in the air).
    3. The enemy doesn't have infinite ammo.
    4. Soviet (Russian) doctrine is restrictive when it comes to fire support - only commissioned officers may call in fire missions, and protocols often result in substantial delays for anything outside of organic mortars.

Re: Reaction to artillery drill - latest in tl;dr technology

One good thing to remember about getting out of the line of fire is never run in a straight line. You should run at an angle, as it is harder to adjust the arty left/right AND up/down at the same time. So, if you are walking South, take arty fire, run Southwest. This will give you a little bit more room to breathe.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

TL: DR

(I kid Krause) :P

Comment

+ rep krause!! great post

"TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population....Tactical Gamer is not mainstream. We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers" ~ Apophis

Comment

What else can I say?

-- I always wanted TG to be different than anyone else out there. We need to be unique in what we offer and how we play, if not we are simply competing with everyone else. --
          The BigC

Comment

Another important thing to remember when dealing with artillery is that, after the first few spotting shots landed, you should start to run immediately: hopefully your squad or the CO has already ordered to take cover and where to run to, but if this doesn't happen, just run.
            Yes, even if you were ordered to hold position because "we have to set up in formation before moving out" or "those Grad could never hit the broad side of an aircraft carrier" or "those mortars don't have enough explosive power to be dangerous": I've been killed a couple of times because of the aforementioned reasons, and this is one of those situations where insubordination will save your life. :icon_bigg
            The exception to this is if you are inside a trench (like in WAC missions), since those can protect you from anything but an almost direct hit. ;)
            sigpic

Now with 200% more content!

Comment

Good post - it's a shame the average A2 artillery that I've run into never has any kind of audio indication of incoming. Having explosions just pop out of thin air (seemingly) doesn't give you the same kind of threat indication that a shell-falling noise would, and I suppose that could contribute bit towards people not recognizing that they're under arty fire, vs RPG or somesuch.

Comment

Originally posted by Dslyecxi View Post
                Good post - it's a shame the average A2 artillery that I've run into never has any kind of audio indication of incoming. Having explosions just pop out of thin air (seemingly) doesn't give you the same kind of threat indication that a shell-falling noise would, and I suppose that could contribute bit towards people not recognizing that they're under arty fire, vs RPG or somesuch.
                I actually had a system where it would create a game logic where the shell was landing and then make an incoming noise, I could probably add that into my current generation of missions. I'll see about it for the next release of my ranger missions. Thanks for reminding me.

Comment

Originally posted by tyrspawn View Post
                  I actually had a system where it would create a game logic where the shell was landing and then make an incoming noise, I could probably add that into my current generation of missions. I'll see about it for the next release of my ranger missions. Thanks for reminding me.
                  You could always have soupy record the incoming sounds for you :)

That is a sure way to get everyone to react to arty quickly

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

First off great post Krause. I'd also like to point out that if you have a fire concentration landing on top of you and there is no easy way to move or leaders etc are too slow in making a decision or are out of action its time for the good ol' scatter drill and hitting the deck. ARMA does model shrapnel and going prone makes a huge difference is survivability so sprint until you have good separation then hit the deck. Also good enough in terms of cover will have to do, if you go for the best spot of cover around your most likely going to find yourself with everyone else which defeats the purpose of the scattering and mostly like will get killed going there.

Originally posted by Dslyecxi View Post
                    As to some of the other things associated with the modeling of artillery from everything I've read it seems that whether or not you would have any warning of incoming artillery depends on many factors. I think if you have artillery in a mission you should include enemy artillery pieces somewhere on the map that fire before the artillery splashes (even if you�re using a game logic to spawn the arty) so the players have a chance to see or hear the guns fire as they would in real life since ARMA does a good job of modeling sound propagation. This also allows a chance to potential silence the guns if that�s reasonable, obviously some artillery should always be outside of the players AO for a regular infantry mission. As for 'incoming' noises from what I know this really depends on allot of things from the size of the round to its trajectory and also local conditions. I would think more often than not you would have no warning especially if the fire is accurate. Needless to say if you have big rounds flying over your head and landing behind you or if someone is firing a 50s era soviet mortar out of a PVC pipe you�re going to hear them.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X