Combined OPS and ACE for OA?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Combined OPS and ACE for OA?

Just downloaded the first release of ACE for OA.

It works fine with both combined arms and OA Standalone. Been playtesting for about an hour, so far so good, have not encountered any problems or crashes in OA.

Are there plans to upgrade server with ACE mod and Combined Arms? Or is it going to remain OA Vanilla only?

Re: Combined OPS and ACE for OA?

Word we've gotten from admins, is they want to make sure its stable before doing anything.

Comment

We are in review of ACE for OA at this time, as it stands now untill further notice, our OA servers will stay vanilla for now :)

"TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population....Tactical Gamer is not mainstream. We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers" ~ Apophis

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Bauer View Post
        We are in review of ACE for OA at this time, as it stands now untill further notice, our OA servers will stay vanilla for now :)
        Agree. I think we should wait until ACE releases official stable version.

Comment

IMHO weapon handling, sounds, ballistics and weapon resting features make it worthy. They already removed ACE features that are replaced with Arrowhead natives which adds a nice little performance boost from ArmA 2 ACE.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunny View Post
            IMHO weapon handling, sounds, ballistics and weapon resting features make it worthy. They already removed ACE features that are replaced with Arrowhead natives which adds a nice little performance boost from ArmA 2 ACE.
            But then there is a LOT of work to do with implementing OA features for vanilla content, not to mention tweaking OA systems to their liking rather than just 'making them work'. The ACE team has just touched the tip of an iceberg :)

Comment

There are a large number of class names that have been removed, along with vehicle class names that have also been removed. The resulting has caused a great number of missions to become incompatible this is one of the key items in contention. Second is the removal of the MTVR from US army, but possibly being moved to the US Navy unit selection, while this might sound really weird, it is an odd choice to make from a mod platform and would require a great number of missions to be edited, to reflect the changes.

We have alot of users that are new to Arrowhead with OA ... A great deal of our content requires A2, making the change just yet, would not be beneficial to these users at this time.

The integration of STEAM A2 + STEAM OA has been painful, short of creating symbolic links, or doing a full copy of your A2 folder into your OA folder, while also ensuring that your A2 folder and contents are patched to 1.07, for the non technically minded among us is not something that I look forward to walking everyone thru, as each case can be very different and the approach needed with each user can be unique to their needs.

While the current version of ACE OA, is stable, it is also a work in progress, as reflected in the first release day, there were 3 hot fixes before the day was out. From an administrative standpoint this is requiring us to update the yoma repositories each time this happens, rebuilding these is not the quickest of tasks. This also requires keeping the A2+ACE @ 373 build, and keeping the backwards compatible repositories at this version as well. For users that wish to still play OA, but yet keep the same ACE folders, they would have to downgrade all of their ace folders, and then re upgrade between each patch ... While the upgrade to ACE OA frees up about 800mb it also requires a new 600mb update ... so suffice to say, if you needed or wanted to play A2 with a friend that has still yet to take the upgrade, or is not yet ready to make the full switch to OA ACE, the subsequent patch to reinstall A2 ACE would be about 1gb.

There are a number of other technical issues that will also delay this release depending on our stance and when we feel it would be appropriate.
              The key aspect being STEAM installs respecting the OA folder and not re-downloading the whole contents regardless of if the folder checking and do not patch flags are respected.
              The adoption of a universal patch between Sprockets/GoGamer/Steam Installs. Right now not counting the beta patches there are roughly 8 different OA versions out there, and of these the base game version can be different in file version in at least 6. It would be nice to have the instructions and compatibilities of each client to be on the same level before going forward with pushing forward a new mod that may interact differently with each version of the game that is out there. We have had to deal with this a great deal in the ACRE prerelease.

So I guess the long in the short is, yes, we are looking at it. We may be looking forward to it, but we are going to be cautious in over steeping the intentions of having a new fun thing to test too soon with the needs of the many.
              The views expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of TacticalGamer.com or of any other TacticalGamer ArmA Administration member, reader discretion is advised.

Comment

Today I used SixUpdater to check for ACE updates and I saw - OA ACE!

"Hey cool! - I thought, and installed.
                Tried to connect to A2 alpha server - fail, my ACE is too new.
                Goddammit, why cant there be a "@ACE_OA" etc...?

Now I have to reinstall A2 ace, 1gb.

Comment

^^^^^

Originally posted by Impulse 9 View Post
                  While the upgrade to ACE OA frees up about 800mb it also requires a new 600mb update ... so suffice to say, if you needed or wanted to play A2 with a friend that has still yet to take the upgrade, or is not yet ready to make the full switch to OA ACE, the subsequent patch to reinstall A2 ACE would be about 1gb.
                  So yeah, case in point, as above.
                  The views expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of TacticalGamer.com or of any other TacticalGamer ArmA Administration member, reader discretion is advised.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X