This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swearing, TS, and what to do

It's been discussed elsewhere, and I sincerely want to avoid creating an argument, but I am concerned by the increasing use of profanity in-game and on TS and would like to brainstorm a way that we can either change the standards or reduce the behavior.

In short, I've noticed repeated swearing in every game I've played over the past 2 weeks, and there does not seem to be any enforcement of the Language Reminder and Warning rules laid out in the "How to start with TG Arma" thread that we point new players at. Are we still enforcing these rules? Are there really warnings, kicks, and bans being put into effect? It seems to me that the main problem is a lack of awareness, rather than outright disregard for the standards of the community, but in the absence of any kind of universal response the issue is getting worse instead of better.

If profanity is still considered against the spirit of TG, is there any way that we can make that more apparent (maybe a password change on the servers that reminds people?) and enforce the rules as written? If not, should we be reconsidering our stance on its use? While I don't mind it, I do mind that we have a set of rules that people are allowed to disregard, and feel like allowing that kind of inconsistency to exist starts us down a slippery slope.

Re: Swearing, TS, and what to do

My approach can only be applied when I am present,

1st Warning - Please Stop Doing That
    2nd Warning - This is the Final Warning.
    3rd Warning - Kicked
    4th Warning - Final Warning Before Ban
    5th Warning - Banned

I have never got past step 3, I think maybe to speed things up step 2 might be skipped in the future.

Comment

Is there any way we could make the "no swearing" rule more apparent? Could we add wording to that effect to the channels (e.g., "Please read the TG Primer before playing, and remember that profanity is a bannable offense on this server. Sorry to be so mean about it."), and/or change the current password to something like "TGPrefersThatYouDoNotSwearNoSeriouslyHOTMACHINAWi llBanYouAndThenWhereWillYouGo"? It would make it a bit easier for the rest of us to remind players who are crossing the line of the rule, without them feeling singled out and getting defensive.

Comment

changing the password would be a effective way to help remind people. We need to rebuild the good habits and displace the bad.

Comment

I'm with glory, all to often of late we are seeing people on the server not on TS and getting the PW from friends. We need the password to be updated more frequently if possible.

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. " - Albert Einstein

Comment

I have said it many times before, post CAA threads. We are the only people who can punish repeat offenders and if we have no paper trail we can't help you. Admins can't be on 24hrs/day PLEASE PLEASE post these offenders in the CAA forums.

Comment

i remember my first few days on TG back in December and i think it was warlab or blackdog who corrected me on my first swearing infraction, as such today people have the thought that no admins are around so who cares..... i dont think its necessarily because we dont change the PW to our game servers rather a fact that the regular joes on the servers aren't setting a good example, now whether a regular joe is defined by the aura his presence gives on the server or how active he is, is well semantics. but a general message to the servers at prime time needs to be given by a large number of the admins at one time... basically a lecture with at least 75% of the admins there for 1: a show of force and 2: that the admins are doing something about it NOW and will enforce it from here on out (when admins are present) this will hopefully instill in those who are there for this lecture to start acting as well that way CAA threads are made

Comment

I just got done running a small OP with 4 other guys on the Alpha server. I had never seen most of them on the server before so I assumed they were new. The first time a swearing infraction occurred with the team lead, I kindly reminded him that it is a TG rule that we keep things PG over all forms of communication, I received no confirmation that he had received my transmission. Swearing continued to occur amongst the players until I got fed up with it and just kept my mouth shut, seeing as the voted admin was also dropping f bombs every now and then, there was little I could do.

I have very little experience running as a voted admin in ARMA, so I am not familiar with the extent of their powers when it comes to disciplinary action. Maybe instill a rule that only players approved by the TG admin team approve may be voted as admin? It doesnt have to be just a few people, it could blanket players who have logged a certain amount of time amongst the TG community.

Comment

Originally posted by gridbum View Post
                  I just got done running a small OP with 4 other guys on the Alpha server. I had never seen most of them on the server before so I assumed they were new. The first time a swearing infraction occurred with the team lead, I kindly reminded him that it is a TG rule that we keep things PG over all forms of communication, I received no confirmation that he had received my transmission. Swearing continued to occur amongst the players until I got fed up with it and just kept my mouth shut, seeing as the voted admin was also dropping f bombs every now and then, there was little I could do.

I have very little experience running as a voted admin in ARMA, so I am not familiar with the extent of their powers when it comes to disciplinary action. Maybe instill a rule that only players approved by the TG admin team approve may be voted as admin? It doesnt have to be just a few people, it could blanket players who have logged a certain amount of time amongst the TG community.
                  and a great way to handle this when your hands are tied in game is to make a CAA thread.

Comment

@Boondocksaint: CAA threads are a useful tool, and we should be using them. No argument.

However, as a player on a server in the middle of a firefight, it stinks to take the time to call someone out about the rules and subsequently be ignored or argued with. On some nights, it takes a good-natured if profane game and makes it very tense, and clutters up the comms with an argument. In my experience, if we want the rules of what is essentially a member-supported and optional community (like this one) to stick, we need to make them something that a majority of people know about, understand, and support. We can help that along by reaching out in lots of ways, including changing the password more frequently, putting reminders in the channels, and posting CAA threads when folks aren't listening.

Comment

Crap load of swearing again earlier.
                      Alot of IHS members involved. Alot of "new" people involved. Fantastic.
                      I eventually gave up on even trying to keep side and global clear. Can we have some more admins or something?
                      Nihility

Comment

Originally posted by Soupy_Norman View Post
                        Crap load of swearing again earlier.
                        Alot of IHS members involved. Alot of "new" people involved. Fantastic.
                        I eventually gave up on even trying to keep side and global clear. Can we have some more admins or something?
                        Soupy post the offenders names in a CAA thread, its how we admin when we can't admin. I understand you guys are getting tired of this but how come no one is reporting these people. If we see peoples names popping up alot we will ban them. Just today we banned 2 people and kicked a bunch others with warnings. We are around guys, but help us help you.

Comment

Well at least the crows have copped on :)
                          Nihility

Comment

lol

Comment

Swearing isnt exactly the only problem at the moment mind, as of late I've been seeing a severe neglect towards following orders and general messing about, i get that squads will use initiative and I wholeheartedly support that, in fact I often order them
                              to do so, but advancing alone in tactical blob to assault the next objective when I've clearly ordered squads to rally is just taking it a bit far. If you really think it will work, "Command, Alpha, message, over", say so, don't just run off!

Not only that but I get the feel a lot of people just want to mess around and not play seriously on the whole, last night playing eagle claw for example I called one of the rangers squads to be filled, severe lack of interest, i previously ordered a deslot from CIA as I wasn't using them, so I thought I'd see if everyone was just waiting for CIA slots anyway, and called it. Filled up in 3 seconds. Seriously? ( I threw them into an objective on their own to die repeatedly for revenge).

It wasnt just fresh first day guys in there either. ( not that I've been here very
                              long myself)

Honestly, I don't mind failing and people moaning about my lack of CO ability, I'm really best at Fire team leading anyway, but when people just don't do as they are told and just wanna mess
                              around blowing stuff up, running off to Rambo a platoon or blasting away in the air. I just don't want to bother commanding. I've been tempted to throw a nade at my feet so I can play dead men don't talk several times. It isn't in any way fun, it's just community service at that point.

That having been said, thank you all who continue to support and play by the rules and remind those breaking them they need to follow or be kicked. You guys = awesome

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X