No announcement yet.

10 tips towards being an effective commander at TG

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 tips towards being an effective commander at TG

So Falcon's post inspired me, and since we do have a lot of new folks, many of which may want to be stepping up to command missions or already have, I thought I'd give some of the tips I've learned over time playing ArmA2, specifically at TG, that help you command an overall mission more effectively.

1. The #1 responsibility of the commander is to make sure everyone has fun
    We have had countless times where we all had a blast playing a mission, only to inevitably fail it. Don't let it get you down - as long as your squads had fun. Your job as a commander is to try to win a mission, but that isn't your ultimate responsibility. You have to find that middle ground between fun and effective. No one is going to like it if you command extremely conservatively, move extremely slowly, and basically have no one in fire fights for more than 20 minutes at a time. It may win the mission, but people aren't going to enjoy it. On that same token though - I have noticed lately that there has been a desire for not playing tactically enough. You have to find that balance between making the mission fun, and following the tactical aspect of the game.

2. Spread the action amidst your squads
    This is also a tough one to do - try to have your battle plan compensate for this. Think of it as simulating relieving units. What does this effectively do, you ask? It keeps all your players busy, keeps your squad leads moving their men, and gets everyone a piece of the action. There is a habit of commanders to just ignore squads once they lose a few members; don't do that! If you have a squad that is down to two members, remember them, and attach them to another squad. The last thing you want is 3-5 players pissed off just because you forgot about them, which is an honest mistake.

3. Know your squad leads
    And I don't mean just know who they are or what their names are. If your thinking about playing commander, usually this means you've played on the server at least enough to have a general idea of who is who. I'm sure most have noticed, the same people tend to squad lead. This is great to know! You know who and how they lead their squads, how they handle orders, or most importantly, if they are new to squad leading. Give your new squad leads a break - let him get the hang of it or even help him out. It is your job as the commander to know these things about the players playing with you. Besides - that's what 2IC's are for :) (hi john!)

4. Maneuver your troops effectively
    I could go on and on and on about this and frankly, TFP will be giving some courses on this soon. Here are some basic pitfalls that many commanders run into, and things to think about.
    - Flanking isn't always the best move. If you do assign a flanking force, always give them a support fire element. If you just have 1 squad flank, then the enemy will just re-align movement on their position.
    - Never let a squad go completely solo unless you are certain they can effectively complete their objective. If anything, you should have a transport available for another squad to support if need be.
    - Know your platoon level formations. Yes, this is a broad topic. But at least knowing some basic tactics will go a mile and a half in ArmA2.
    - Pretend your enemy is a human. Thinking or believing that the AI will behave a certain way does two bad things. One, it ruins the game for everyone and you. Two, you'd be surprised what mission makers do :)

5. Don't be afraid to call a mission, demote a squad lead, or do other not-so-nice things
    This really is a gray area; but it is something that has to be done sometimes. As the commander, it is your job to make sure everyone is effective and has fun. If you notice a team killer or get reported one, its your job as the commander to tell the admin to kick them. If a squad lead is AFK or just not doing his job, its your job to either appoint a replacement out of the squad, or send your 2IC to take care of it. Get the jist?

6. Don't spoil missions
    If you've played a mission a hundred times, or even commanded it before, don't spoil it for everyone. Try different tactics every time you play a mission - if you have your sure fire way to win it, try something new. Not only is this more fun for you, but then everyone gets a new experience on a mission. Plus, the mission makers will love you - you are *creating* re-playability for their missions!

7. Enforce good communications and behavior
    Its not the admins job's to enforce everything, and they aren't always there. It is *YOUR* job as the commander to enforce cohesion and discipline in your squads. Good radio communications is a big start on this. If your subordinates cannot effectively give you information, you will fail. If your subordinates won't listen to your commands, you will not know whats going on. It's important that the squad leads under you follow your orders, otherwise things usually just turn into a turkey shoot.

8. Keep situational awareness
    You, as the commander, should be able to tell any squad what any other squad is doing. If a Alpha is trying to get a hold of Bravo, and bravo doesn't respond - you should have a general idea of what they are doing, and should be able to tell Alpha for them. Maybe bravo is in the middle of a fire fight and just can't answer. Either way, you should know this information.

9. Regular reports are great, but bugging squad leads is irritating
    A general rule of thumb when commanding: check for sitreps or locstats from your squads every 5-10 minutes if you have had no communication with them. There is nothing that a squad lead hates more than having to constantly listen to a babbling commander. Be quick, concise and to the point. Let them run their squads, but keep your overall knowledge of the battlefield.

10. Don't micromanage
    This is a no-brainer. Let your squad leads run their squads. I don't think I even have to say more on this.

Task Force Proteus

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but Im just not close enough to get the job done."

Re: 10 tips towards being an effective commander at TG

What have I begun... :: Dramatic DUH DAH music::
    Last edited by Dredge; 07-19-2010, 08:26 AM. Reason: Random Smile Removal :)

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed