The M16

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The M16

Ok, now i have a simple question, and it is a little bit off topic from arma but i actually trust you guys to answer it more than other. In medal of honor, the new one that is, they have put the m16 in it as a usable gun, however, it fires only in fully automatic. Now, im not really clueless about guns or anything, but last i checked the m16 fired only semi/burst with the exception of a1/a3 varient. Im confused as to why a game taking palce in roughly 2001 the soldiers would be using an a1/a3 varient of the gun. Now i've heard it is possible to fire the m16 full auto but it would usually jam quite a bit. So, just looking for clarification on if this is possible or a major design flaw in the game

yours truly, Ghdeter the messiah of video games

Re: The M16

Because it's cool?

Of note, you might be mistaking the M4, which has full auto and is in widespread use.

I would not take an inaccurate model as impossible. It's not a sim after all.

Comment

no it isnt the m4, i can tell the difference easily even if it wasnt a video game, that and they have a seperete m4 model in the game. I love military guns cause im enlisted in the marines, always been a military buff, and no where have i heard of fully automatic m16a4's, which is what the m16 in emdal of honor looks like, even though the rails are a bit odd looking

Comment

Got a screen we could look at? I'm thinking it's not a m16, but a variant.

Colt ACR
        LSAT
        H&K 416/417

Comment

sure, but seeing as its 2001 the 416 wouldnt be around and neither would the acr, and the lsat was a SAW i thought, any where here actual video of it

Comment

any thoughts?

Comment

the game is stupid?

really its just anothe cod, dont expect guns to be realistic

My name: Adept a skilled or proficient person Abyss a deep, immeasurable space, gulf, or cavity
              So I'm a very skilled deep hole :D

Comment

thank you for that clear thoughtful answer adept lol, the main question is, is it possible for the m16a4 to be firing full auto

Comment

I thought that the M16A4 had full auto, but maybe it was the A3 I was thinking of...

I prefer the Masada (ACR) or the HK though... so meh.

Comment

I dont think he was asking for opinions on either the game or the weapon, just a simple is the pictured weapon an M16 and what are its firing capabilities in real life. I don't know or I would have given him an answer.

Comment

You can see all the kids battle it out here:
                      http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/1009334.page

Its most probably meant to be /the M16A3

But, although probably expressed poorly, I have to agree with others in that this is "Medal of Honour", which is not exactly a sim. You get power ups from kill streaks and double kills. Not really the kind of game that is going to model things accurately. Take a look at the EOTECH sight, it has a dot rather than the circle/dot reticle it should have.

Comment

Ok the M16A1 is full auto
                        the M4A1 is 3 round burst as is the M16A2 and A4
                        The the GUU-5 is an Airforce weapon which is a full auto M4

Comment

Isn't the M4A1 full-auto? The standard M4 is semi/burst I think.
                          "Can't waste a day when the night brings a hearse
                          So make a move and plead the fifth 'cause you can't plead the first."

Interesting Articles__________News
                          tinyurl.com/PipelineGeopolitics_____prisonplanet.com
                          tinyurl.com/USTrainGeorgia_______globalresearch.ca
                          tinyurl.com/Rumsfeld-GeorgianDM__engdahl.oilgeopolitics.net
                          tinyurl.com/Georgia3rdinIraq

Comment

As stated before it could be a clone but a different weapon; several were mentioned already, but no the standard military m16 a4 is limited to 3 round burst/semi auto. You could take out the parts of the lower and replace them with full auto designed parts but in the military and even in civilian life (unless you have proper NFA stamp and proper logged sear or are an armorer (military) acting under orders) its a big no no to put that stuff in. Like you correctly stated the only m16 variants that were/are full auto are the m16 a1 and a3. The m4a1 carbine is full auto/semi auto selectable but is mostly in use with the SF, or other in need units, regular army uses a selectable version similar to the m16a3 with 3rnd burst and semi auto.

Possible reasons for the game using that:
                            1. Its cool (to them)
                            2. They know nothing of weapons or think that's what their customer base wants (like left hand ejecting weapons in some games it looks cooler to the masses)
                            3.The operator is SF and is using his variant for special purposes like suppression (without the weight and bulk of SAW) or other things.
                            4. Somehow for some reason the gun has malfunctioned or the armorer sucks and broke a part and made the gun go full auto only. (Very dangerous and should be looked at right away do not use it anymore!!!) Why: gun could keep firing even after trigger depressed, it would fire until the magazine is empty.

1 and/or 2 are most probable.

As to jamming more in full auto... no not normally. Standard length down to m4 will not have problems with full auto and as I said M4A1's have that option selectable as the original (m16a1) had it selectable too. Its a good idea if you are to be firing many rounds 350+ even in semi auto in a day to run the weapon wet (more oil/grease than normal), but m4/m16s will still run fine with a good dry lube under normal and most firefight conditions.
                            SBRs (short barreled rifles) like 10.5" have more problems with full auto due to the shortened gas system especially with suppressors.That is why the HK416 exists due to SF request. When you add a suppressor you change the pressure in the gas system. In full auto this can increase the jams and often does in non-modified weapons. This is made worse by the use of high capacity magazines but can happen with the standard mag as well. Weapons needing to run a suppressor and full auto are usually tweaked to run better with the suppressor.
                            Last edited by Silent Ghost; 07-20-2010, 03:34 AM.

Comment

thanks guys, ill put this one down as EA not knowing what the heck they're talking about
                              /thread

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X