Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stability of OA/ACE - Fixes in the Works?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stability of OA/ACE - Fixes in the Works?

Strong desire to play but Domi with broken crates as server default, CTDs using multiplayer server 'filter' option from main menu and CTDs entering/exiting vehicles are killing me. I don't see a thread anywhere else about these issues, even in tech support. I just see a lot of people not playing on the server, or trying to unsuccessfully. Is there a big patch for ACE/OA coming down soon or should I try coming back in another month and hope stability has improved? :(

If the leader is filled with high ambition and if he pursues his aims with audacity and strength of will, he will reach them in spite of all obstacles.
    -Carl Von Clausewitz

'The Great Game' -Blog on War in Afghanistan:

Re: Stability of OA/ACE - Fixes in the Works?

Crate issue was fixed in a beta patch, hopefully it hits a release patch soon so we can run it.

Comment

I'm glad you spoke up Hank. There are some serious issues with OA, Combined Arms and ACE 2. Also, a lot of our community using Steam games is having trouble getting Combined Arms to run with the ACE 2 even loaded (myself included).

Hopefully enough people will comment here and begin to put pressure on the Admins to find a solution if there is one.

Personally, I hope we maintain our Stock OA and start stock Combined Arms server, in addition to our ACE 2 Combined Arms server until ACE 2 is stable.

I think a lot of people in our community are developing the false view that the only way we are going to have fun with this game is if we try to employ the latest addons developed for it. This is disheartening to me. Some of the most fun moments I've had in the last month was playing the stock game with member's here. Addons don't make great a game here at TG. Good team play and organization is what produces enjoyable experiences.

For those of you reading this and feel the same way. Use that admin complaint feature, post here, or start your own posts. Be polite and professional, of course. Don't hold back sharing your opinion, we need it. If the community is frustrated overall and they are saying it, the admins will listen. And they should too, because I have been killing one fatted calf a day at the Admin Alter for the past month.
      Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. - General George S. Patton.

Comment

I think ACRE/CBA in Vanilla OA is worth pushing for, but mabye ACE needs some more time. CO probably needs a lot more time until a merge system gets worked out for all versions that consistently works.

Comment

Well don't get me wrong. I love the new content, but I'm lost as to whether the issue is with the stock release or with some of the modifications. Last night I managed an impressive 2-3 hour stretch of gaming on a private server with some community members here and until I crashed due to a script error (something in the revive script) it worked perfectly.

Today I go to play and while I can connect to the server, nobody is playing. So I figure, hell, I'll get some practice with the new toys and experience some of the campaign in singleplayer. I load up the campaign which worked perfectly yesterday and 'lo and behold, there are issues even in the opening cutscene. The 3 AI's that are in the sniper's scope during the opening scene in Zargabad have fog-horns attached to their feet. Realizing that it's probably an ACE conflict with the campaign, I load just stock OA, which performed perfectly yesterday and try to start the Campaign. The end result is that I get maybe 30 seconds of game until the first explosion or save and it CTDs. The fact that it worked fine yesterday both on and offline and has produced nothing but headaches for me today is really confusing. I've scanned the BIS forums and can tell that a lot of people are having these same issues, but even for those with great computers or a history of the game working fine, the response seems to be 'you're doing it wrong' or 'your rig sucks' from a bunch of unofficial posters.

The closest I've been able to get to figuring out my problem was a thread that indicated there was a problem with scenario/campaign init files caused by -something- which can result in crashing when you try to play those missions. This would make a lot of sense since I am able to load/edit my own missions in the editor without the same crash. Since it appears to be a crash isolated to the campaign/scenarios and not present in the armoury/editor I'd assume it's either an issue with BIS's product or an issue caused by installing mods hosted here which somehow altered the core elements of the campaign/scenarios whether I am launching with the mods in my shortcut or not.

If the leader is filled with high ambition and if he pursues his aims with audacity and strength of will, he will reach them in spite of all obstacles.
          -Carl Von Clausewitz

Comment

Several isssues that you raised are mission specific - the locking up ammo crate issue was in vanilla arrowhead, it's not an ACE issue. Haven't heard about CTDs entering vehicles or in the ARMA menus. I have faith in ACE and their ability to iron out any bugs.

My main gripe right now is ACRE. I haven't been able to enjoy play since we started using it - mainly because its really hard to play when at least 25% of the people around you cant hear you or you cant hear them. To say nothing of the radios. I know the ACRE guys are trying to iron out these issues, I just hope that we don't repeat the mistakes of A2TS by adopting the plugin without seriously considering it on a full server. We haven't had any 30+ player games since we started using it, to my knowledge, but it ran into a great deal of issues when we played with 20+ on some missions recently.

Comment

Originally posted by Hank Rearden View Post
              Strong desire to play but Domi with broken crates as server default, CTDs using multiplayer server 'filter' option from main menu and CTDs entering/exiting vehicles are killing me. I don't see a thread anywhere else about these issues, even in tech support. I just see a lot of people not playing on the server, or trying to unsuccessfully. Is there a big patch for ACE/OA coming down soon or should I try coming back in another month and hope stability has improved? :(
              I haven't encountered any issues apart from domi, which isn't a great loss. I would suggest you report your issues to BI

Originally posted by GeneralCarver View Post
              I'm glad you spoke up Hank. There are some serious issues with OA, Combined Arms and ACE 2. Also, a lot of our community using Steam games is having trouble getting Combined Arms to run with the ACE 2 even loaded (myself included).
              Originally posted by ForGlory&Pain View Post
              CO probably needs a lot more time until a merge system gets worked out for all versions that consistently works.
              http://robertsandiford.co.uk/ace_oa/
              Read section 2, there are 3 ways to run CO, between them you can find a convenient option whatever verisons of A2 and OA you have.

The big issue recently was that quite a complicated install procedure was required without any coherent and detailed guide for people to use.

until ACE 2 is stable.
              Ace is still a little unpolished, by what stability issues does it have?

I think a lot of people in our community are developing the false view that the only way we are going to have fun with this game is if we try to employ the latest addons developed for it. This is disheartening to me. Some of the most fun moments I've had in the last month was playing the stock game with member's here. Addons don't make great a game here at TG. Good team play and organization is what produces enjoyable experiences.

For those of you reading this and feel the same way. Use that admin complaint feature, post here, or start your own posts. Be polite and professional, of course. Don't hold back sharing your opinion, we need it. If the community is frustrated overall and they are saying it, the admins will listen. And they should too, because I have been killing one fatted calf a day at the Admin Alter for the past month.
              I agree with you in pricipal, although personally i'd much rather play ArmA2 ACE than vanilla OA. However A large number of the the TG ArmA community is obsessive about whatever is new at the time. Servers with stable configurations are available already (A2 ACE and OA vanilla) but there's no easy solution when the comminity choose new toys over stability and features.

Comment

Well I have isolated my issue down to: My game runs stable until somebody AI or Player, shoots. Then it crashes. I'm not sure whether it is the bullet physics, the tracer or what, but both ACE and Vanilla OA crash hard when there is shooting going on. I can fly for 20 mins in a helicopter over terrain on high graphics settings no problems, but squeezing the trigger a few times will cause a hard CTD. Is there anything related to the way Arma handles shooting that might be causing the CTD's? Even AI shooting in the main menu world sequence causes the effect. I'd post on BIS but frankly everything I have read in my search indicates that opening a thread on the BI forums complaining about a problem right now 1) gets you banned, 2) gets your computer/specs ridiculed 3) is unproductive.

If I had an arma2.rpt that'd be something to go with but some inconsistency in my user profiles on my PC has made it so that no arma2.rpt or associated files can be found through a full windows search. Not quite sure where to go without one.

EDIT: Nvm. I'm a moron. It was hidden. Shoot me now and put me out of my misery.
                Last edited by Hank Rearden; 07-23-2010, 04:58 PM. Reason: Stupidity

-Carl Von Clausewitz

Comment

http://dev-heaven.net/issues/12158

Hmm. Appears to be a problem with OA/ARMA 2 that could be causing the 'crash on shooting' effect.

Going to try the reinstall recommended here. Anyone know of a way to circumvent the re-download for OA from steam? :/

-Carl Von Clausewitz

Comment

Originally posted by Hank Rearden View Post
                    http://dev-heaven.net/issues/12158

Hmm. Appears to be a problem with OA/ARMA 2 that could be causing the 'crash on shooting' effect.

Going to try the reinstall recommended here. Anyone know of a way to circumvent the re-download for OA from steam? :/
                    Open up your steam librabry, right click Arma 2: Operation arrowhead --> Properties --> Local Files --> Verify integrity of game cache

That should find any corrupt/altered/missing files and replace them automatically.

Comment

As much as I love playing ArmA, the addition of ACRE and ACE has made the game unplayable for me, and I'm very frustrated by the response -- it feels like a combination of "it hasn't happened in testing", jumbled troubleshooting steps, and an underlying suspicion/dismissal of anyone who does report having issues.

I spent an hour trying to get into game this evening, with repeated crashes of both the game and of TS3. This has been true since the first time we switched ACRE on, and the latest version has not resolved the problem for me. Tonight, TS3 was crashing such that Windows was detecting that it wasn't responding and was killing the process, so no logs were produced. At one point, TS3 held onto a device handle after crashing, leaving my headset mic unusable until I rebooted my system. Attempting to use Yoma has become equally difficult, with the Steam OA/ArmA2 directory steps being poorly documented and apparently resulting in Yoma detecting and asking to delete various ACE files, followed by the absence of those same files causing in-game warnings.

I like TG, I like the ideas being tested, and I really hope this stuff gets sorted out -- but at the moment, it's a mess, and instead of being a fun way to spend a few hours, it's become an unpleasant struggle just to play at all. Until (if?) this is resolved, I'm crying uncle and taking a break. I'll keep my eyes on the forums and wait for a change, and hopefully things will be stable again eventually.
                      Last edited by ellF; 07-24-2010, 12:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ellF View Post
                        TS3 was crashing such that Windows was detecting that it wasn't responding and was killing the process, so no logs were produced. At one point, TS3 held onto a device handle after crashing, leaving my headset mic unusable until I rebooted my system.
                        This is indicative of a 1.0.0 bug. have you updated TS3 plugins to 1.0.3? This means you have to copy the DLLs from the yoma "@ACRE" dir into the TS3 plugin.

|TG-TFP|Jaynus
                        Task Force Proteus

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but Im just not close enough to get the job done."

Comment

ACRE just isn't working for me period. I hear everybody talking in TS... configured my ingame hotkey and installed with .exe/restarted TS. According to instructions I recieved, should be working fine but I'm overwhelmed by cross-talk with no filtering at all.

-Carl Von Clausewitz

Comment

Btw just to clarify - the ACRE dev's (us) are working with anyone that reports devastating issues. There is no suspicion or dismissal of bugs being done except for known bugs. If you have an issue, please see us in the ACRE HQ channel, and we will help sort it out.

|TG-TFP|Jaynus
                            Task Force Proteus

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but Im just not close enough to get the job done."

Comment

Originally posted by ellF View Post
                              I like TG, I like the ideas being tested, and I really hope this stuff gets sorted out -- but at the moment, it's a mess, and instead of being a fun way to spend a few hours, it's become an unpleasant struggle just to play at all. Until (if?) this is resolved, I'm crying uncle and taking a break. I'll keep my eyes on the forums and wait for a change, and hopefully things will be stable again eventually.
                              again, and this goes for all....there is the alpha server still that is running vanilla stock..... if you dont like this or are having troubles and just want to play...GO TO ALPHA....were not forcing anyone to play on bravo....

"TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population....Tactical Gamer is not mainstream. We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers" ~ Apophis

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X