Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to maybe get started with ArmA 2

Hi there.

I just recently found my way to TG, but over on the BC2 side of things. As of late, I've been vastly enjoying the teamwork and tight controlled squad play you often find there.

Well someone suggested to me that if I enjoy that aspect of BC2 as much as I do, ArmA 2 might be worth a hard look. So I took a hard look and from what I can tell, this is a game I already love and I haven't even bought it yet.

Which brings me to my question; What exactly does a person need to get started with ArmA 2? Expansions? Add-ons? DLC packs? I've found it difficult to find concrete information on that. Any advice there would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Re: Looking to maybe get started with ArmA 2

Check this site out:

http://arma2.tacticalgamer.com/

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. " - Albert Einstein

Comment

Combined Operations (ArmA2 + Operation Arrowhead) - technically there are TG servers for either one, but they are mostly empty, CO is only slightly more expensive than either on their own
      ACE mod
      TG map pack
      ACRE mod

guide to installing: http://robertsandiford.co.uk/ace_oa/

the mods/maps are all free and this guide will walk you through downloading and installing them

Comment

So I can basicly just grab combined ops from Steam, patch, install mods and be ready to roll on that side of things?

Comment

Originally posted by Pyth View Post
          So I can basicly just grab combined ops from Steam, patch, install mods and be ready to roll on that side of things?
          Yes, although you'll need to read section 2 on getting combineds ops running, for double steam use 2-2 or 2-3. Getting it from somewhere other than steam is slightly easier as you can use 2-1, but steam is fine if you're comfortable with one of those options

Comment

As some who has only played BF games until I found arma. I can say that it takes a lot of time to get adjusted and actually know what you are doing. But once you reach that point the level of teamwork is night and day. I am having a lot of fun and hope you do to.
            Battle is an orgy of disorder.-George S. Patton

The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive. Thomas Jefferson

Comment

yeah, bro get Combined Arms patch it up install mods hop[ on TS if you have problems and someone WILL help you.. then you should be good to go.

Comment

Another about to be hooked by the arma angler :D

Welcome.
                Nihility

Comment

Pyth, welcome to ArmA

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

Installing mods correctly is the hard part, so many things need to be taken into consideration.

Comment

not really, if you have yoma its as easy as can be... except for when yoma doesn't work sometimes.

Comment

I highly recommend that, as a new player, you first install Combined Ops, DO NOT install any mods, play the tutorial missions, then install the mods: ArmA2 is a pretty complicated game at the start, and the tutorials do help a lot with getting used to the plethora of commands and keys avaible.
                        Once you have a keyboard layout you are comfortable with and know a few of the in-game basics, then you'll do just fine. And remember: if you have any questions at all, just ask.
                        As others have said above, it takes a while to set up everything properly, but it is worth it. ;)
                        sigpic

Now with 200% more content!

Comment

Thanks for the information as I was looking for this after speaking to Jeepo_SAS during or scrim for BTF2-PR.

I already have ArmaII just need the mods and map-packs as far as I understand.

Comment

Originally posted by HappyNoobing View Post
                            Installing mods correctly is the hard part, so many things need to be taken into consideration.
                            This is simply not true. If you learn how to do it once almost every single mod for the game is EXACTLY the same. Even ACE has standalone downloads that do not require Yoma or SIX updater to be installed. ACRE is the only one that has an additional step since you need to copy the TS3 plugin to your TS3 plugin folder (and if you don't want to do it manually you can use the installer application). Other than that, every single mod consists of copying the needed folder/files into the ArmA2 install directory and making sure to add them to the -mod argument when you launch. Not a single one is different. It is really really easy.

If you take the time to learn Yoma or SIX properly its even easier since they will keep the mods up to date and can even launch the game for you with the correct settings.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X